Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

1. Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

Jeff - check this out

This is in Allicante, Spain.

Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

Funding to electrify CalTrain (Regional rail in SF bay area) was just approved last week.

http://www.sfcta.org/content/view/276/95/

Caltrain officials have long planned to electrify the Peninsula commuter system, allowing for faster, more frequent service, quieter trains, a cleaner environment, and reduced operating costs. Plans were, however, put on hold when the high-speed rail project between San Francisco and Los Angeles raised questions about integrating high-speed rail into the busy Peninsula corridor.

Bay Area transportation officials, along with the California High-speed Rail Authority, have now developed a plan-called Fast Start-for the early phased implementation of high-speed intercity passenger rail service between the San Francisco Transbay Transit Center and Diridon Station in San Jose. By merging Caltrain Electrification and the Caltrain Downtown Extension to the Transbay Transit Center into a single project, and introducing positive train control and infrastructure improvements, near-high-speed passenger rail service can quickly be established between San Francisco and San Jose at relatively low cost, achieving the electrification of the Caltrain system and paving the way for a phased implementation of the complete high-speed rail system.

3. Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

I just toured the planned route for KC's streetcar line last week. I don't know the status of getting theirs funded, but I do know that when it is finished it will be a huge success. The Main Street corridor which it follows through KC's Crossroads area (linking Downtown and the Crown Center) is extremely dense and vibrant. I'd watch KC for the next few years..

Streetcar district approved by nearly 70-30 margin

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/01...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Streetcar district approved by nearly 70-30 margin

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/01...#storylink=cpy
    Good for KC.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Good for KC.
    And apparently reading through the comments, it's $100 million for 2 miles. We either got a pretty good deal or we're getting a Dollar General 6 miles, lol.

I think we are doing very well with our system. The MAPS Transit subcommittee has been very careful to specify certain attributes the system needs and are finding ways to maximize what we get for our MAPS dollars.

Well good for Kansas City. There downtown area is very vibrant but it has the same problem as OKC and a lot of other downtown's in the US very few Grocery Stores.

I think we are doing very well with our system. The MAPS Transit subcommittee has been very careful to specify certain attributes the system needs and are finding ways to maximize what we get for our MAPS dollars.
    For what is in our near future, it is a lot better than what KC has in store. For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    And apparently reading through the comments, it's $100 million for 2 miles. We either got a pretty good deal or we're getting a Dollar General 6 miles, lol.
    It depends on how that 2 miles is being counted. It could easily be 4 miles if they use double track even if it is 2 linear miles on the ground.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/01...#storylink=cpy

But many downtown property owners remain outraged that fewer than 500 voters got to make a decision of such magnitude. The election excluded many property owners who don’t live downtown but who will be subject to the tax increases.

“They may have had this vote, and it may have been legal, but it stinks,” said Sue Burke, who owns Kansas City Air Filter in the River Market. She lives in the Brookside area, so didn’t have a vote.

“This toy train, this streetcar to nowhere, is a luxury item for rich downtown-dwelling elites,” she said, predicting it will become an “unending black hole of spending” that “will never be self-sustaining.”
    She could always move downtown and be a rich elitest her self. She already works there so if she moved she could take the streetcar to work - she is already paying for it, she might was well ride it.

There always seems to be a segment of the population that says the same thing anywhere new transit is built. I'd like to go back to those same people 5 years after service began to hear what they say.

The funniest one I have heard is a new transit rail system was for all "the rich yuppies". Didn't yuppies go away in the 90's? Besides, no self respecting yuppie would ever give up their BMW to ride with all those "other" people who wear shirts without designer labels!!

CaptDave - I can't figure it out either. Half the people think only bums live downtown and the other thinks only the rich elitest live downtown. So which is it? I wonder if the road in front of her house is self-sustaining? My TV has never turned a profit either, but that hasn't stopped me from owning 8 of them.

It is a strange juxtaposition of snobbery and class envy isn't it?

I hope to join those who reverse the suburban flight one day. But 8 TV's!! Man - I thought I was bad!

It is a strange juxtaposition of snobbery and class envy isn't it?

I hope to join those who reverse the suburban flight one day. But 8 TV's!! Man - I thought I was bad!
    TVs don't cost as much as they used to.

While I can understand her sentiment about how she'll benefit from the added tax, what she needs to realize is that an improved downtown (KC, in this case) improves the city as a whole and she will, in fact, benefit as both a business owner and citizen from improvements to downtown. Not only that, when it's all said and done, it'll probably be extended to her area.

Agree 100%, there is more than sufficient evidence that proves that. That is why I am baffled when the same tired arguments are trotted out.

18. Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

I am so happy for KC.

Looks as though Los Angeles is gaining some needed momentum from their downtowners.

A special measure to bring back the downtown Los Angeles streetcar appeared to win approval Monday with more than 70% of votes in favor, city officials announced.

Out of 2,065 ballots counted, 1,508 favored the proposal to create an assessment district to help finance the $125-million project, said Holly Wolcott, executive officer of the city clerk's office.

The vote tally is not final because there are still 110 outstanding ballots, she added, but that total is not enough to swing the race.

Downtown L.A. streetcar measure appears headed for victory - latimes.com

Voters Approve Funding for Downtown L.A. Streetcar - ktla.com

Downtown L.A. Streetcar Project Accelerates With $62.5 Million in Local Funding: LAist

Streetcars a Step Closer to Returning Downtown Los Angeles | NBC Southern California

L.A. Now Live: Is the streetcar returning to downtown L.A.? - latimes.com

Tax measure gets things rolling for LA streetcars - SFGate

Downtown LA streetcars funding measure passed by voters | abc7.com

We Want Streetcar | Vote By Mail This November | Los Angeles

20. Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

Looks like they could get an operating streetcar system by the time we do or even before depending on how bad MAPS 3 turns out (lookin' at you, CC budget). We're really being passed up by a lot of other cities, not surprisingly. Cincinnati is already U/C.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Looks like they could get an operating streetcar system by the time we do or even before depending on how bad MAPS 3 turns out (lookin' at you, CC budget). We're really being passed up by a lot of other cities, not surprisingly. Cincinnati is already U/C.
    We're being passed up by a lot of other cities because their streetcars have begun construction and ours is still being designed but forthcoming? Please.

Yeah, really Tuscon is probably next. Then we're next or right behind Cincinnati.I don't have a project update on them as of right now. But I plan to be out there in December or January and say hi to my friend Mayor Mallory.

I suspect the LA campaigners for this vote are being a bit optimistic. lol

23. Default Re: New Streetcar Routes in Other Cities

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    We're being passed up by a lot of other cities because their streetcars have begun construction and ours is still being designed but forthcoming? Please.
    The reality is that the timeline has been pushed back due to the convention center and a lack of political will to match the issues voters cared about and that year's difference will be big. Scoff all you want, but the chance to make a splash by doing something special will have been passed up because our City Council is more serious about a convention boondoggle.

Cincinnati has already broken ground on utilities relo. Their mayor is awesome btw - UP lemme know if you're in Ohio.

Cincinnati broke ground because they borrowed the money to do it. Our is funded first, and then we start contruction. I would rather wait 2 or 3 years than pay bonds for 30 years. While ours will be free (my fingers are crossed) to ride, Cincinnati will constantly have a fare battle on their hands to raise enough money to pay the debt on their system.

I doubt ours will be free. You still have direct operating costs. Electricity, maintenance and grooming, drivers (I'm not sure about the last, if they are driverless or not)

Thread Information