Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Del Rancho

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Del Rancho

We moved to Washington state for eight years, then decided to move home. When people asked why we'd want to come back to Oklahoma, we showed them a big picture of the Del Rancho steak sandwich.

True that. I also avoid any steak named "country fried". If you know how to make it right, you would know it is "chicken fried"!

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    True that. I also avoid any steak named "country fried". If you know how to make it right, you would know it is "chicken fried"!
    I never could understand the term " chicken fried chicken". Seems redundant unless there is a difference between that and "fried chicken".

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I never could understand the term " chicken fried chicken". Seems redundant unless there is a difference between that and "fried chicken".
    Chicken fried chicken is chicken fried the way you would fry chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Chicken fried chicken is chicken fried the way you would fry chicken.
    Well then, what other ways are there to fry it? I never saw "steak fried chicken"

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    "Chicken Fried Chicken" is different from fried chicken, in that it is a boneless chicken breast treated in the same way you would prepare chicken fried steak.

In more simple terms: a southern version of chicken parmigiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Different things, usually, subtle differences, but still....

Chicken-Fried Steak or Country-Fried Steak?

Brown gravy? Say it ain't so. I must have white gravy on my chicken fried steak. My years in the Texas panhandle won't let me have it any other way. Del Rancho on 59th and (S) Villa serves, or served, tater tots with gravy. Get me my car keys!

Ugh, every time this thread is bumped I get a huge craving for a Steak Sandwich Supreme!

Decent CFS is the one thing I can't find out here. I probably need to spend some time trying to make some myself. I already do that with fried okra for the same reason.

There used to be another place that had a pretty decent CFSS named (I think) the onion barrel around se 44th and Bryant/Sunnylane area. I don't think it's there any longer.

The last few times I went to the 50th/Mac location the sandwich seemed kinda dry. I don't remember them being like that back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    There used to be another place that had a pretty decent CFSS named (I think) the onion barrel around se 44th and Bryant/Sunnylane area. I don't think it's there any longer.

The last few times I went to the 50th/Mac location the sandwich seemed kinda dry. I don't remember them being like that back in the day.
    I have always asked for extra mayo when I order. They never have enough for me.

The Del Rancho on SW 29th has closed its doors for good.

13. Default Re: Del Rancho

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Del Rancho on SW 29th has closed its doors for good.
    I guess maybe their sign (with an unfortunate lack of an apostrophe) I photographed back in 2011 was foreshadowing.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	182736_1845719704432_549044_n.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	11819

i'm trying to picture where they were located on 29th. -M

Just west of Penn.

Apparently, the famous Del Rancho in Moore has elected to drop their Del Rancho Franchise and go with some trendy name. . . Needless to say, I'll not bother driving down to Moore any more (pun intended) to eat.

On the good side, 59th and Sante Fe is still open and has a small dining room. Right across the street from the depressing empty lot that used to be the Riveria drive-in theatre. . . Thanks Sammy Caporal.

17. Default Re: Del Rancho

I tried the Dining Room (formerly Del Rancho) yesterday and thought the steak sandwich was quite good. The breading featured noticeably pepper, but I found it better than the old recipe. I didn't try any of the sides, however. I never cared for the onions rings there so I hope that they will improve on them as well.

The Del Rancho at 9411 Northeast 10th is still open.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    The Del Rancho at 9411 Northeast 10th is still open.
    C. T.
    As is the store at 16 SW 59th St, just west of Santa Fe Ave.

Here's what Del Rancho themselves has to say about the closing:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.delranchousa.com/locations/del-rancho-moore/
    To our valued Del Rancho customers in the Moore area:

The location at 301 W. Main St. in Moore will no longer be operating as a Del Rancho after Friday March 31st, and will no longer be a franchisee of Del Rancho USA, Inc. They will not be using our trademarked menu offerings or recipes, including items made with our delicious breading mix.

Del Rancho has long been committed to the Moore community. J.R. Holt, our founder, opened Del Rancho #5 in the Moore market in 1972, built the business, and operated it for a period. Mr. Holt later passed it on to his daughter and son-in-law, Rosamond and Kelly Jones, who successfully operated it for several years before selling to a new franchisee. The current franchise operator has chosen not to renew the franchise agreement and to become an independent business.

We are actively searching for new locations in the Moore area… stay tuned.

In the meantime, please visit these nearest locations to continue enjoying our famous Steak Sandwich Supreme, Chicken Fried Steak Dinner Supreme and your other favorite menu items:

Del Rancho #2
    16 SW 59th St. Oklahoma City, OK
    405-634-6082

Del Rancho #12
    2300 W. Lindsay St. Norman, OK
    405-364-0627

Each location is an independently owned franchise. Please contact the individual store Manager for inquiries and to provide feedback.

assuming that the numbers are sequential... if 16 sw 59th is del rancho #2, i wonder where #1 was?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    assuming that the numbers are sequential... if 16 sw 59th is del rancho #2, i wonder where #1 was?
    https://www.google.com/amp/m.newsok....le/2893858/amp

Their first restaurant...
    That first restaurant, at 3300 S Western, was originally the Ranch House.

The first Del Rancho...
    The second restaurant, in Del City, became Del Rancho. From there, the couple opened two more restaurants and started to sell franchises.

huh... did not know that south western was where they got their start... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    huh... did not know that south western was where they got their start... thanks!
    Martin,
    When I was young, I used to eat at the Ranch House fairly often. The lady that managed it told me her husband opened it to give her something to do. It was successful and at this point I don't know the whole story but they started the Del Rancho stores.
    C. T.

24. Default Re: Del Rancho

Went to The Dining Room (formerly Del Rancho) in Moore the other day with a friend. We would eat there when it was a Del Rancho about once a month or so and considered it the best Del Rancho around by far.

We wanted to give the new branding a try....

Place pretty much still looks the same with some updating of paint and basic decor. Surprisingly the phones at the table are still present. I guess I always figured they were leased as part of the Del Rancho branding concept.

I have to say, the steak sandwich was as good or better than under the Del Rancho recipe. Steak itself was huge and dwarfed the bun. The breading was a bit thinner (my preference) but noticeably more 'peppery' (as in black pepper). The meat itself was very tender and juicy.

I did the onion rings - pretty the same as previously - but, still my favorite. Very crunchy with lots of flavor in the breading.

My friend had the fries. They were a bit different than before (as good or better) and cooked well done - my preference.

The owner came up to our table and talked to us both before we ordered and after we had eaten - really nice lady with a unique look. Gave us the short version of the decision to drop the Del Rancho branding.

Personally, I think it was a positive move and we will keep this place on our rotation.

*A note on the 'peppery' breading. The owner said several people had mentioned this and either loved it (as my friend did) or were not a huge fan. I didn't mind it. She said she is still tweeking the recipe and has used less pepper each time and is about where she wants it.

I've always been surprised Del Rancho didn't get bigger than what it is... I guess maybe that wasn't their management's goal? I've always liked their food better than the other big drive-in chain.

Thread Information