Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hideaway Pizza

Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

The Fox 25 news was aired on 9/24/10, and I spoke with Hideaway Pizza manager a few days ago. I believe this is going to be a big year for Auto Alley, with more announcements to come.

Auto Alley Hideaway Pizza

[template=]
    development
    |category1=Restaurants
    |category2=Automobile Alley
    |category3=Restaurant Buildings
    |category4=
    |
    |project=
    |address=901 N. Broadway
    |status=complete
    |owner=Meg Salyer
    |cost=
    |architect=
    |start=
    |finish=
    |contractor=
    |height=
    |sq. feet=
    |acerage=
    |other=
    |
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessor
    Hideaway website
    Gallery

From the Journal Record:

Bigger slice of the pie
    Hideaway plots expansion, full bars
    By Kirby Lee Davis
    Kirby Lee Davis is the Tulsa Bureau Chief for The Journal Record. Contact him at 918-295-4982
    Posted: 09:31 PM Wednesday, April 27, 2011

TULSA – The 11-restaurant Hideaway Pizza chain will test hard liquor sales with two new restaurants in Oklahoma City, marking the start of a regional expansion for the Tulsa-based home of the Kahuna.

“We’re going to look at other markets here in the state of Oklahoma,” said Brett Murphy, who with Darren Lister bought Hideaway five years ago. “Then late in 2012 or early 2013, we’ll try our hand at an out-of-state market. We’re going to focus on the Dallas park cities, Austin or Houston. We will pick one of those and develop that market.”

Murphy sees growth opportunities from the pizza industry’s economic evolution.

“The casual dining pizza place no longer exists,” he said. “We’re filling that void.

“Your Pizza Huts, your Ken’s Pizza, your Shakey’s Pizza, Shotgun Sam’s … they’re all history,” he continued. “That is the void that we’re filling. All the pizza chains have gone fast food; they’ve gone delivery; they’ve gone buffet. We’ve stayed true to our roots and we’re just a dine-in pizza place.”

Oklahoma City’s first new Hideaway should arrive in mid-July. Red Sun Construction is renovating about 6,000 square feet of leased space at 901 N. Broadway Ave. in Automobile Alley. Since that’s a pre-existing footprint, Murphy said the bar area will be more limited than a MacArthur Boulevard entry that is under way.

Default Re: Midtown

Nothing against Hideway Pizza but his statements aren't accurate. While certain brands are in the history books, Pizza Hut and Ken's (Mazzios) are still around. Granted they have a buffet aspect but is limited to lunch time and some weeknights during dinner (limited time frames). You can still go in (even during buffet times) and still sit down and order a pizza. Plus with the other places you have the advantage of options. you can do the sit-down casual dining, or buffet or delivery.

Speaking of Ken's, Mazzios is making the "limited time special" a permanent menu feature.

Default Re: Midtown

I wonder how Hideaway will do in Texas? They are such an Oklahoma fixture it's odd to think of them in Dallas or Austin...

This was in the Tulsa World this past week, about the bowling alley/bar Elliot Nelson is opening in downtown Tulsa. It had this blurb at the end of the article: "If the Dust Bowl is successful, Nelson said he is considering another one in Oklahoma City near his second McNellie's bar north of downtown."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/a...67&archive=yes

5. Default Re: Midtown

i wish them well.

it would be great if/when they expand to Midtown, that will give Bricktown/Red Pin some much needed competition while adding to downtown's entertainment offerings. ....

Who would have thought that bowling alleys could help revitalize a downtown? It seems as though we are going back to the 1950-60's with our redevelopment ideas for downtowns.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Went today with a group for lunch. Great looking place, lots of friendly staff on hand and the food was great. We got there right at noon and even though it was pretty full, there was no wait for our party of 4. We all did salads and personal pizzas. Staff was going around giving complimentary cheese bread. The personal pizzas were actually plenty big enough to share.

Will definitely go back.

7. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Brian, you forgot about me. :-)

Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Gonna try to go there in the next few days if I can.

Same. Perhaps I'll try to make it over after the MPRE tomorrow.

I like their pizza with the mandarin oranges,pineapples and canadian bacon. Everything ive had on their menu has been top notch.

11. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Interesting that this is being referred to as the "MidTown" location. It's definitely Automobile Alley, no real overlap with this one. But it does show how much confusion there is between the two areas.

12. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

I say "in Automobile Alley" to people I know and they haven't a clue - I say downtown or Midtown and they know the general area I'm talking about. I really couldn't care less where the boundaries are - though obviously some (many) here do.

13. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Not saying anyone is evil on this... just finding it all very curious

I do not consider Automobile Alley Midtown. It's about as far away from the heart of Midtown (Plaza Court) as it is from Deep Deuce. I consider it a stand alone district personally. But, as the areas fill in the borders will get looser. I know in Chicago my daughter lives in Ukrainian Village which flows into Wicker Park which flows into Bucktown. Everyone seems to have their own opinion about where each starts and ends.

15. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

I think as each area develops and Joe blow citizen is exposed to the marketing the boundaries will be more defined to the population at large. As it stands now, unfortunately, to the majority, I think its still all "downtown."

I don't see anything unfortunate about that. It is basically downtown with sub areas. Downtown is a much more general term than specific areas like AA, Deep Deuce, etc. As long as it continues to develop and is successful, I don't care what it's called. I understand having an identity for certain locales is important though when trying to attract certain types of development.

the reality is that AA is in the geographic location of midtown ... but it is not in the midtown district

18. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Interesting that this is being referred to as the "MidTown" location. It's definitely Automobile Alley, no real overlap with this one. But it does show how much confusion there is between the two areas.
    It is kind of tacky. Not only is A-Alley a wonderful district in its own right that is capable of standing on its own as a great neighborhood, but it is emerging as a more important area. Or you can just say North Broadway, which is how I usually verbally refer to Automobile Alley.

Not directed toward you, Brian..I know the perils of describing downtown things to typical suburbanites.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I think as each area develops and Joe blow citizen is exposed to the marketing the boundaries will be more defined to the population at large. As it stands now, unfortunately, to the majority, I think its still all "downtown."
    Not only that, but the general public "doesn't care".

20. Default Re: Hideaway Pizza (Midtown)

Metro, please forgive me for forgetting to get your permission before posting a comment.

What are you talking about Steve

haha, this thread just got interesting. Pass the popcorn.

Do it like a Ward Map so everyone knows what is where. This can all be solved if someone will put together an official map showing the precise boundaries of every "district" and impose stiff penalties to anyone who doesn't conform....

Nonetheless, we met friends there last night for an early supper. The pizza was as wonderful as ever, and the service was exceptional. We will likely go there fairly often.

Blog Entries

Went there at 5:20p on Saturday expecting it to be crowded or to get crowded while we were there, but the entire time there was no wait, immediate seating. The staff attentiveness at this location was better than I've had at any location except perhaps the original.

Thread Information