Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Big Truck Tacos

Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Like Chris Lower's other restaurants, BTT purchases some ingredients from local producers. This benefits the state economy and our local farmers and ranchers who struggle to compete on price against the factory farms and CAFOs but turn out a higher quality of product. You may or may not consider this to be an important issue, but it does help explain the food pricing.

As someone who lives a few blocks away, I'm ecstatic to have BTT there. I don't eat there particularly often since there aren't a lot of vegetarian options, but it's great to have an increasing number of alternatives to the big fast-food chains on 23rd St.

I agree with both sides of the argument. BTT does offer a unique menu with fresh ingredients with a twist. I think a big part of its popularity is about the social attraction. It's cool, hip and new. This is a place I'm used to seeing in Austin or Dallas. I just don't know if BTTs prices are aligned with what you can get in those previous mentioned cities.

Everytime I visit BTT I feel underwhelmed. There is absolutely not enough filler. I understand the tortillas are small but I would expect them to be overflowing if I were in Austin. I would happily frequent BTT if I could get a taco that didn't taste mostly like a tortilla. The price doesn't bother me as much as the lack of substance in their tacos. But it seems that they can command these prices here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by stephy View Post
    rofl

I'm going to invest in a "gourmet" hot dog joint and charge $4.50 a dog.

You people will believe anything if it has a big enough price tag on it.
    sorry stephy the antagonist to every argument, concept already been done. Sadly HOT DOG Park failed, but it was more to do with bad management, marketing and horrible location.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I think you point are missing the point of some of the other posters. It's not the "street tacos" that you can get at Las Comales or anywhere, it's the gourmet tacos and other items that you can't get at your local taqueria or taco van.
    Gourmet? Im not so sure what makes BTT so much more gourmet than a Los Camales. Is it because they throw in some random ingredients on a few tacos? And outside of some breakfast items I dont think there are many items that BTT offers that other taquerias dont. I would bet that most people singing BTT's praise have probably never even had a taco from a real taqueria.

Im not here to bash BTT because it does have some good food, but I think most of the infatuation stems from a good taco joint actually opening on the north side and even more so because it opened on the "hip" 23rd st area. I just wish a good authentic taqueria would open in the Plaza District so it I dont have to drive to south Agnew so much.

actually onthestrip, I eat at taco vans and Los Comales way more often than BTT. BTW I don't sing of it's praises, but recognize the local gourmet ingredients in some of it's dishes. There IS a difference in the quality, not necessarily the taste of some of the taco's that can go head to head.

Do these taco stands have vegetarian options? I would love to try one of the other taco stands but am usually sol. I can only eat one crispy cado so $2.50 for dinner seems reasonable to me. If I am especially hungry I might get another one and spend $5.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Gourmet? Im not so sure what makes BTT so much more gourmet than a Los Camales. Is it because they throw in some random ingredients on a few tacos? And outside of some breakfast items I dont think there are many items that BTT offers that other taquerias dont. I would bet that most people singing BTT's praise have probably never even had a taco from a real taqueria.

Im not here to bash BTT because it does have some good food, but I think most of the infatuation stems from a good taco joint actually opening on the north side and even more so because it opened on the "hip" 23rd st area. I just wish a good authentic taqueria would open in the Plaza District so it I dont have to drive to south Agnew so much.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you. BTT isn't bad, it's just overrated in my opinion.

I'm lucky enough to live in a predominately hispanic portion of town so when I get a craving for a taco I go down to the neighborhood taqueria. They always get a kick out of the white guy ordering in terrible spanish. But they're always quick, courteous, smiling, and cheap. However, I'm not aware if they serve breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Sadly HOT DOG Park failed
    Which is exactly what I think will happen to BTT once people realize they're getting ripped off with overpriced greasy copies of the exact same thing you can get in real taquerias.

Two of my favorite BTT specials have been the duck and the lamb. Tell me again which of the taquerias had those?

Which is exactly what I think will happen to BTT once people realize they're getting ripped off with overpriced greasy copies of the exact same thing you can get in real taquerias.
    I've been to Las Camales in the Stockyards and the tacos I get, while good, are not much more than meat and a bit of onion on a flour tortilla. I have to ask for extra cilantro, and rarely get much.

Same with the taqueria in Edmond I go to. It's okay, but overall the flavors are just kind of "there."

Neither place is an establishment where I'd drive half-way across town to get to.

I have, and will continue, to drive half-way across town for Big Truck Tacos. IMO they're just that good. Lots of fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection,
    the queso blanco on top, and their chicken tortilla soup is superb.

I've been mid-afternoon (3:00ish) the past two Saturdays running. Both times the place was packed, and it wasn't even the lunch rush.

I sincerely doubt they're going to go out of business anytime soon.

Chacun a son gout!

This is Taco Bell's new Pacific Shrimp Taco.

It's a warm, soft flour tortilla filled with six succulent shrimp marinated in a mix of spices, then topped with crisp shredded lettuce, Fiesta Salsa, and Avocado Ranch Sauce, all for just $2.49.

Big Truck Tacos, you are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time.

Quote Originally Posted by matt
    ...you are on the way to destruction. you have no chance to survive make your time.
    ok... you win this thread. -M

13. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Taco + Bell + Shrimp = Food Poisoning.

will not eat.

how many times do people have to be disappointed with fast food chains before they learn?

14. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

It's a warm, soft flour tortilla filled with six succulent shrimp marinated in a mix of spices, then topped with crisp shredded lettuce, Fiesta Salsa, and Avocado Ranch Sauce, all for just $2.49.

Big Truck Tacos, you are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time.
    Okay, Taco Bell, being a giant corporation can't offer 'shrimp' tacos for any less than $2.49?

You do know that most tacos from BTT are in the $2.75-3.00 range, right?

That's not counting the time sick and money spent on medicine from ingesting Taco Bell's 'gourmet' offerings... BTT for me!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Okay, Taco Bell, being a giant corporation can't offer 'shrimp' tacos for any less than $2.49?

You do know that most tacos from BTT are in the $2.75-3.00 range, right?

That's not counting the time sick and money spent on medicine from ingesting Taco Bell's 'gourmet' offerings... BTT for me!
    No one is comparing BTT to Taco Bell

The point is.. BTT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taco Bell.

rofl

I'm going to invest in a "gourmet" hot dog joint and charge $4.50 a dog.

You people will believe anything if it has a big enough price tag on it.

18. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    Taco + Bell + Shrimp = Food Poisoning.

will not eat.

how many times do people have to be disappointed with fast food chains before they learn?
    Jim, I am NEVER disappointed with Taco Bell. Even bad Taco Bell is great.

19. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Jim, I am NEVER disappointed with Taco Bell. Even bad Taco Bell is great.
    your standards are too low.

your body deserves better. your tongue deserves better.

your wallet may be a couple dollars lighter and your gas tank also, but it is worth it not to be eating trash.

20. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    No one is comparing BTT to Taco Bell
    'Matt' was...

This quote isn't comparing BTT & TB?

21. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    'Matt' was...

This quote isn't comparing BTT & TB?
    are you for real?

don't worry Matt. at least one person on the forum got your reference.

haha yea, you all are taking that waaay too seriously. i thought it was funny. thanks matt.

how are you gentlemen? -M

24. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by nik4411 View Post
    haha yea, you all are taking that waaay too seriously. i thought it was funny. thanks matt.
    what is especially funny (sad) is how so many people truly feel that way about fast food chains. they'll defend eating garbage all the way to their early grave.

i say, GIVE ME TASTE, GIVE ME QUALITY, GIVE ME FRESH, GIVE ME LOCAL! or else i don't give you my money.

and that i take seriously.

25. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    what is especially funny (sad) is how so many people truly feel that way about fast food chains. they'll defend eating garbage all the way to their early grave.

i say, GIVE ME TASTE, GIVE ME QUALITY, GIVE ME FRESH, GIVE ME LOCAL! or else i don't give you my money.

and that i take seriously.

Oh? so you were lying about Lee's Sandwiches?

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaura...tml#post294229

Thread Information