Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 105 Degrees (closed)

Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    105 is adding ovens and cooking equipment to be able to offer cooked meals now. I couldnt tell from the release if it included meat or just to be able to cook veggies. Either way, a smart move.
    I agree because they have been limiting their clientele. There may be dinner parties looking for places to dine where all but one person approves of an uncooked menu but choose somewhere else because of the one person who doesn't. It won't hurt to have a few options just as traditional restaurants may have some options for those who don't like traditional menus and opt for vegetarian, etc.

I can see a name change to "105+" which would not only be true, but a play on words evoking improvement. Glad they're doing this rather than defiantly going out of business.

Hmmm, perhaps bacon that is bacon is not out of the question.

One of the single worst eating experiences of my life. I guess I'm not trendy enough to sit around and pretend to enjoy paying 15 dollars for a plate of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    One of the single worst eating experiences of my life. I guess I'm not trendy enough to sit around and pretend to enjoy paying 15 dollars for a plate of garbage.
    I'm guessing you're not going back then? LOL
    Did you have no idea what the food was going to be before you went, Caboose? I know they don't have much that would appeal to me so I wouldn't pay 15 dollars to confirm that.

I went around New Year's Eve and asked them about their future and every response was bright and cheery as if the business was in no trouble at all. Was told that it's usually busier than the night I was there (there were 3-4 tables full), but I've yet to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm guessing you're not going back then? LOL
    Did you have no idea what the food was going to be before you went, Caboose? I know they don't have much that would appeal to me so I wouldn't pay 15 dollars to confirm that.
    Haha, no I wont be going back. I went the one time because a couple invited my then girlfriend and I to meet them for lunch. The girl of the other couple is a vegetarian. My girlfriend and I were aghast. Polite, mind you, but aghast.
    I would surprise me if this place stayed open for much longer. I just don't think the OKC market has enough pretentious trendsters to support such a place.

I went about a month ago on a Saturday night and every table was full and there were a couple groups that had to wait. I thought the food was interesting and I enjoyed the experience even though the service was rather slow. I didn't care because it was a Saturday night and I was chatting with friends. 3 of us thought the food was okay, but the only vegetarian loved it. She was in heaven. I think it's silly that some people are coming on here baching the place because they probably don't like that type of food. So, they probably should just say I don't like that kind of restaurant instead of bashing 105 Degrees as if they are doing it wrong. I think adding ovens is a good idea and I hope it succeeds...

Default Re: 105 Degrees

This place is now Matthew Kinney OKC.. What happened to 105degrees?

http://www.kenneycuisine.com/restaurant/

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    This place is now Matthew Kinney OKC.. What happened to 105degrees?

http://www.kenneycuisine.com/restaurant/
    I guess Matthew Kinney bought it. Same concept though.

He was the owner and head chef of 105, they slightly changed concepts.

Is it still raw/vegan? Anyone been since it changed 2 weeks ago?

Nothing as really changed excpet for the name...

14. Default Re: 105 Degrees

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Nothing as really changed excpet for the name...
    I guess nobody ever mentioned to them that it wasn't the name that was the problem.

I remember reading that they would be adding ovens and/or stoves. They'd still be a vegetarian restaurant but actually cook some food, which would be a smart move IMO.

On Yelp this place has rave reviews from out-of-towners... At least the perception of OKC being a meat and potatoes kind of town is changing a little.

Groupon today.

hmmmm...

I hope this isn't part of a last ditch effort, as I'd hate to see this place fail.

Sounds to me like, if push came to shove and the place closed, you could just run an extension cord to a blender on the patio table--for ambient background noise--then lie down on the lawn in the backyard and graze.

This isn't their first groupon either, probably not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    This isn't their first groupon either, probably not a good sign.
    When I first heard about 105 Degrees I was really excited and hopeful, but when I saw the menu and the chef, I knew it was going to fail. I'm not suggesting any impropriety or lack of skill, but Matthew Kenney has left a trail of failed ventures. Certainly many people have had failures in their careers before they became successful and this may be more likely in his case due to the unique/progressive concept.

The best vegetarian/vegan/raw restaurants understand their ingredients and celebrate the uniqueness of each. They don't try to finagle them into shapes and textures or make them resemble something else. Even worse is when they call it something that it clearly is not, giving a point of reference it can't possibly match. Don't call a blend of nuts, cheese. It may taste amazing, but it's not cheese. Call it a creamy nut blend. Give it a broad name that doesn't invite comparison. Only bacon tastes like bacon.

There's a difference in saying, "I know what you want, but I'm going to give it to you in a way you couldn't imagine" and "I know what you want, but I'm going to give you something else and it's not going to taste as good/the same. I'm also going to charge you the same amount if not more".

If you're going to finagle food, that's fine but you need to show a basic understanding of traditional techniques to coax the subtle flavors out of vegetables and fruits: roasting, smoking, grilling, braising, etc. If you're not going cook at all, there is gazpacho, melon soups, etc. I know they understand these concepts, I just wish they would demonstrate them more and do less finagling. Letting the ingredients speak for themselves applies to most food. (a well aged steak with salt and pepper for example)

If you're going to charge a premium for food that has not been cooked or has no animal protein, then your vegetables/fruits must be spot on. If you didn't take the time to cook them then you certainly had the time to look at them closely. Your portions must be at least equal or have some added value. Most vegetarians know you can get a great meal at an Indian restaurant that is more than satisfying and affordable. Japanese, Indian, Ethiopian and other ethnic cuisines have successfully incorporated vegetarian/vegan/ raw foods into their repertoire.

Last but not least, it needs to taste good. 105 Degrees/Matthew Kenney may appeal to vegetarian/vegan/raw foodies, but not to anyone else. That group is accustomed to eating tofurky and fakin bacon. They're used to eating "the next best/closest thing". That's fine, but they're over relying on a niche market in a land of steak and potatoes. I think they can successfully retain their concept but they need to be more approachable in their menu, bigger portions/lower prices, and try to broaden the palette. This may be easier to accomplish in a not so fancy of a location with lower rent. I personally enjoyed 105 Degrees/Matthew Kenney, but it's a tough sell for me at those prices for what they offer. It seems as though their menu has changed recently to be more accommodating and simpler, but it may be too late.

On the other hand, for a non meat/taters house to still be kicking two years later smack dab in the middle of cow, pig fat and cream gravy country simply has to say something good for them.

Still not going to make my list, but I wish them and their base nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    When I first heard about 105 Degrees I was really excited and hopeful, but when I saw the menu and the chef, I knew it was going to fail. I'm not suggesting any impropriety or lack of skill, but Matthew Kenney has left a trail of failed ventures. Certainly many people have had failures in their careers before they became successful and this may be more likely in his case due to the unique/progressive concept.

The best vegetarian/vegan/raw restaurants understand their ingredients and celebrate the uniqueness of each. They don't try to finagle them into shapes and textures or make them resemble something else. Even worse is when they call it something that it clearly is not, giving a point of reference it can't possibly match. Don't call a blend of nuts, cheese. It may taste amazing, but it's not cheese. Call it a creamy nut blend. Give it a broad name that doesn't invite comparison. Only bacon tastes like bacon.

There's a difference in saying, "I know what you want, but I'm going to give it to you in a way you couldn't imagine" and "I know what you want, but I'm going to give you something else and it's not going to taste as good/the same. I'm also going to charge you the same amount if not more".

If you're going to finagle food, that's fine but you need to show a basic understanding of traditional techniques to coax the subtle flavors out of vegetables and fruits: roasting, smoking, grilling, braising, etc. If you're not going cook at all, there is gazpacho, melon soups, etc. I know they understand these concepts, I just wish they would demonstrate them more and do less finagling. Letting the ingredients speak for themselves applies to most food. (a well aged steak with salt and pepper for example)

If you're going to charge a premium for food that has not been cooked or has no animal protein, then your vegetables/fruits must be spot on. If you didn't take the time to cook them then you certainly had the time to look at them closely. Your portions must be at least equal or have some added value. Most vegetarians know you can get a great meal at an Indian restaurant that is more than satisfying and affordable. Japanese, Indian, Ethiopian and other ethnic cuisines have successfully incorporated vegetarian/vegan/ raw foods into their repertoire.

Last but not least, it needs to taste good. 105 Degrees/Matthew Kenney may appeal to vegetarian/vegan/raw foodies, but not to anyone else. That group is accustomed to eating tofurky and fakin bacon. They're used to eating "the next best/closest thing". That's fine, but they're over relying on a niche market in a land of steak and potatoes. I think they can successfully retain their concept but they need to be more approachable in their menu, bigger portions/lower prices, and try to broaden the palette. This may be easier to accomplish in a not so fancy of a location with lower rent. I personally enjoyed 105 Degrees/Matthew Kenney, but it's a tough sell for me at those prices for what they offer. It seems as though their menu has changed recently to be more accommodating and simpler, but it may be too late.
    Totally agree with your assessment! I've been saying similar things...it turns people off when something is mislabeled like that because they will always think of it as an imitation and compare it to the "real thing", and it shouldn't be that way. The food in that restaurant is excellent and can stand on it own without have to label it for the masses. The masses aren't going to eat there anyway.

Thread Information