Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sauced on Paseo

Default Re: Sauced on Paseo

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Really? Hideaway, Empire, Halls, Saucee Sicilian, Providence, The Wedge arent good enough for you? Thats a pretty diverse and solid pizza lineup imo.
    Gusto is fantastic as well ..

I must not be a picky eater--I'm certainly not a "foodie"-- because I like all of our local pizza places. I'd say Halls is my favorite, but I'd happily go to any of them.

I tend to agree that we have good to very good pizza options in OKC, but few if any outstanding options. Using Gusto as an example (but I can think of examples for pretty much all types in OKC), I think Gusto is very solid but doesn't compare to truly elite Neapolitan pizza. Same with Empire and elite New York style, etc.

Really? Hideaway, Empire, Halls, Saucee Sicilian, Providence, The Wedge arent good enough for you? Thats a pretty diverse and solid pizza lineup imo.
    No, they're all perfectly good in their own way (haven't been to Hall's yet, and Providence didn't really do it for us), and we really like Gusto, Wedge, and Saucee Sicilian. Some of Hideaway's pizzas are pretty great, but their crust just isn't up to what we like.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    I tend to agree that we have good to very good pizza options in OKC, but few if any outstanding options. Using Gusto as an example (but I can think of examples for pretty much all types in OKC), I think Gusto is very solid but doesn't compare to truly elite Neapolitan pizza. Same with Empire and elite New York style, etc.
    There are not many Neapolitan pizza places in thr entire country, let alone Oklahoma. So if that is your standard, 99.95% of pizza places won't be outstanding.

Empire is very good for what it is. Same with Dado's. They are different than NYC slice shops, because those sell so quickly.

Not bashing your opinion.

Dado's charging NY prices for OKC pizza = very overpriced product

Read a little more critically. I said that there are several above average. You use the term solid. Neither term is synonymous with exceptional.

So, yes, there are plenty of good places to get pizza here, it's just not on the level one finds in other cities for whatever reason. I will admit that I have not tried Saucee Sicilian. Will that blow my mind?

Also, is Providence the one in Parlor? If so, we tried that soon after they opened and it fits in with the general standard OKC sets.

I thought Dado's was good when I tried it, but a tad greasy (and I don't necessarily mind that). The crust was quite similar to what one would find in a typical NYC slice shop, but what was weird was that it had an uneven texture: parts were slightly more done than others, so not sure if they were having an issue with their oven or not.

Empire looks and tastes like the real thing, but the crust is way too thick. My rule of judgment about pizza is how I feel after I eat it. Empire pizza tastes good going down but just sits in my stomach heavily.

I went to Gusto three times, and the pizza was different each time. After so many attempts, I decided it wasn't worth the high price tag.

Hideaway is a good regional chain for what it is. It's certainly not bad food, although I have found that the food in the original location in Stillwater is consistently better than the other locations (not unusual for a chain).

TBH, I kinda miss the pizza at the Nomad. I realize the proprietors of Ned's are trying to feature it but I haven't tried their version.

The Wedge to me was more about the ingredients than the pizza itself. Very good but not something that I crave.

Flip's pizza is pretty darn good.

Not really an enduring fan of Upper Crust.

There's still room for someone to come in here and slay it on a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Read a little more critically. I said that there are several above average. You use the term solid. Neither term is synonymous with exceptional.

So, yes, there are plenty of good places to get pizza here, it's just not on the level one finds in other cities for whatever reason. I will admit that I have not tried Saucee Sicilian. Will that blow my mind?

Also, is Providence the one in Parlor? If so, we tried that soon after they opened and it fits in with the general standard OKC sets.
    Saucee's margherita is probably the best margherita in the city, you should definitely try it.

What are some of these exceptional pizza restaurants in other cities you mention? Are they regional or national chains we would recognize or are they local joints?

Saucee's margherita is probably the best margherita in the city, you should definitely try it.

What are some of these exceptional pizza restaurants in other cities you mention? Are they regional or national chains we would recognize or are they local joints?
    I really don't have the energy to go through so many, but trips to Italy, Switzerland, California, Colorado, Texas, New York, Mexico, Spain, France and elsewhere have introduced me to better pizza.

I'm always up for a light, airy crust with fresh mozz, a simple, tangy, sauce (not over seasoned or overly saucy) and high quality ingredients. It sounds easy but apparently it's not.

It feels like there are more food critics here than on yelp.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    It feels like there are more food critics here than on yelp.
    This is discussion forum. What are you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Flip's pizza is pretty darn good.
    Thanks for the tip about Flip's, we'll have to try theirs. As a general rule, I don't get pizza at any place other than a dedicated pizza joint, but are other places that sell pizza worth it? Can't imagine Clark Crew pizza being that great (even if their BBQ is pretty good)...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks for the tip about Flip's, we'll have to try theirs. As a general rule, I don't get pizza at any place other than a dedicated pizza joint, but are other places that sell pizza worth it? Can't imagine Clark Crew pizza being that great (even if their BBQ is pretty good)...
    I mean, BBQ and pizza, sure. But Italian and pizza? That isn't a far leap. Maybe across a 2 foot creek. That isn't very deep.

I second Flip's, as well. It is very good, including the pizza.

I really like the pizza at Garbiella's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I really like the pizza at Garbiella's.
    I liked it, too. Haven't been to the new location.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    My son gets the pizza at Clark Crew and its pretty good. They get a nice char on the crust if I recall right. I wouldn't go there specifically for pizza, but its not a bad slice comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is discussion forum. What are you expecting?
    Just feels like everyone on here can be so pretentious regarding everything. Okc sucks in every which way. Our buildings suck, our public transportation sucks, our pizza sucks. I’d be interested to see how the tough critics would fare in a blind taste test.

Just feels like everyone on here can be so pretentious regarding everything. Okc sucks in every which way. Our buildings suck, our public transportation sucks, our pizza sucks. I’d be interested to see how the tough critics would fare in a blind taste test.
    And maybe to some it feels like they can’t make a valid criticism without having someone like you telling them to stop complaining about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    And maybe to some it feels like they can’t make a valid criticism without having someone like you telling them to stop complaining about everything.
    There has to be an in between. You can't be all negative on every post and expect the benefit of the doubt. Same with those who are always positive. Both are foolish, to me.

There are some who just try to play devils advocate.

Generalize much? I can pretty much guarantee that for every negative comment, there are probably at least 2 positive ones. Go ahead and count, I'll wait.

Who said the pizza “sucks” at any of these places? Soonermike, you’re the only person who has used that term on this thread.

Nothing is good. All the food everywhere sucks. Our pets heads are falling off.

We had a very pleasurable time at Sauced last night. Every table was full and every one at the tables were bustling with conversation and happiness. We each got large slices and split a "table Caesar" which was really good. Crust was great on all our slices and the ranch was excellent. The tea is the same fresh flavored tea they use over at Picasso Cafe. We really enjoyed the interior -- I felt as if I was sitting in an old Pizza Hut restaurant back in the 80s, complete with the individual colored light fixtures over each table and neon sign illuminating the seating area. Several people who worked there stopped by and chatted with us at different times. We truly felt like we were wanted customers and it felt great. An overall wonderful experience. Will certainly go back!

25. Default Re: Sauced on Paseo

So for those talking trash on Sauced on a different thread, here is your spot to start it back on the Sauced Thread. I for one really like the new Sauced even if I miss the old one. I always loved the pizza at the old version, but I could say the same about Hideaway in Stillwater. It will always be better than the version that is in all other cities.

New Sauced is a great spot with a great menu and I will be going there often when I am not at Empire Slice or Rendezvous!

Thread Information