Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

1. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Just now as I pulled in the driveway KFOR showed 111. My car showed 114.

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    This is the worst part. It's not like the desert where it cools off pretty quick when the sun goes down. It's like we're living in an oven and the light goes off occasionally. AC units still have to run all night since it's freaking 83 degrees for a LOW sometime around daybreak.

This sucks.

Local forecasts not showing any optimism for next week yet. Praying that it changes.
    The high should start to shift late next week. Best case scenario is we get a northwest flow pattern on the backside of the high that brings in multiple rounds of rain/storms. The east coast gets its turn to bake toward the end of next week.

While I definitely don’t love the extreme heat, I still think it’s better than the extreme cold when I have to worry about bursting pipes and treacherous road conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    While I definitely don’t love the extreme heat, I still think it’s better than the extreme cold when I have to worry about bursting pipes and treacherous road conditions.
    Yup, I hate winter, I would take the brutal heat as awful as it is

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    From a human life perspective, more die from extreme heat than extreme cold as long as they are not exposed directly i.e deaths of hikers via exposure. Heat stroke more dangerous than hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    From a human life perspective, more die from extreme heat than extreme cold as long as they are not exposed directly i.e deaths of hikers via exposure. Heat stroke more dangerous than hypothermia.
    That is true

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Yup, I hate winter, I would take the brutal heat as awful as it is
    I'll take cold all day every day. At least you can keep adding layers. There's only so much you (and your AC) can do when it's 109. And God forbid the AC decides its had enough...

I remember the awfulness of 2011 and 2012 but I'm not sure any of those nights were as disgusting as last night where apparently it was still 97 in my area at midnight.

I went out to walk in the pitch black of 5:30 this morning and it was already 88 degrees.

Great to see some scattered showers and even a few thunderstorms across the state this morning. This activity will move into southern OK this afternoon but another round is likely Thursday and Friday mornings. Hot temps remain until the end of the following week when the high moves eastward. More widespread rainfall is also possible late next week into the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonesia View Post
    I'll take cold all day every day. At least you can keep adding layers. There's only so much you (and your AC) can do when it's 109. And God forbid the AC decides its had enough...

I remember the awfulness of 2011 and 2012 but I'm not sure any of those nights were as disgusting as last night where apparently it was still 97 in my area at midnight.
    it was worse back then ..... it was over 105 for like 20 days in a row ..

Will Rogers Airport got down to 83 this morning which is one degree shy of a record warm minimum temperature for OKC. Wiley Post Airport only got down to 89 which is absolutely wild.

Widely scattered showers and storms possibly across the state later this evening and again Friday morning. Better rain chances on tap after the 29th along with cooler temps

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Great to see some scattered showers and even a few thunderstorms across the state this morning. This activity will move into southern OK this afternoon but another round is likely Thursday and Friday mornings. Hot temps remain until the end of the following week when the high moves eastward. More widespread rainfall is also possible late next week into the weekend.

I could have sworn this map looked different yesterday morning when it was first posted...

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I could have sworn this map looked different yesterday morning when it was first posted...
    it constantly updates

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it constantly updates
    Oh, that is neat I guess... I hadn't noticed that today was July 21 yet, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Oh, that is neat I guess... I hadn't noticed that today was July 21 yet, haha.
    Yeah, if the poster just links to the image on the OK Mesonet's site, it automatically updates. For a static, non-updating image from the Mesonet, the poster has to first download the image to their PC, and then upload it somewhere like Imgur before linking to it here.

A little disappointed that OKC missed out on the scattered showers the last few days. NWS thinks we've got a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms this afternoon... I hope that pans out. As of right now there's some widespread scattered showers down along the Red River, but it doesn't look to be coming our way.

HRRR this evening showing scattered storms across the state. Keep your fingers crossed

18. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

My Denver weather report showed upcoming weather in OK to be cooler and wetter than normal. Hope it is true!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My Denver weather report showed upcoming weather in OK to be cooler and wetter than normal. Hope it is true!
    They are starting to say this for late next week.

Sure could use the moisture. Lotta yellow looking yards out there…

More green on this map, it should expand after next week

I think we are about a week out from the heat finally breaking, at least temporarily. Certainly expect that August will likely be another month of above-average temperatures, but I wouldn't be surprised if our consecutive 90-degree day streak is snapped sometime between 7/29 and 7/31.

Blog Entries

^Heading for Colorado on 7-28, so you may thank me for this upcoming break from the heat!

According to the Mesonet the areas south of OKC around Norman are the driest in the state going on 43 days without decent rain

Rain please

Thread Information