Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Thanks Pete. Too bad the City doesn't have the foresight to bury the power lines above. What an eyesore.

Perhaps that's being planned for later? Hope so.

Still lots of work to be done as part of the master plan.

3. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Thanks Pete. Too bad the City doesn't have the foresight to bury the power lines above. What an eyesore.
    Agreed.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking bout this... I know the Devon building has everybody's attention right now but still this is big time!

would def like to see more updates

They removed the high-voltage power lines from Boathouse Row!

There is a blog set up monitoring the progress on this exciting project. It is just not updated very often usually once every week or so. Sometimes more often depending on what is taking place.

A lot has taken place in a short amount of time. The foundation was poured and the first columns have been erected! The building is taking shape!

Boathouse District Development

Man I wish there was a consturction cam now that they are getting above ground!

Looks like the power lines -- at least on the north shore near the boathouses under construction -- have been removed.

There should be four structures underway: Devon (OCU) boathouse, OU boathouse, UCO boathouse and the finish line tower.

8. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

All of these projects, this has to be the greatest time to live in THIS city!

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    All of these projects, this has to be the greatest time to live in THIS city!
    In the last 50 to 60 years you would be correct. However, as far as we have come, we have not yet even recreated what Oklahoma City once was. We just re-opened a hotel that first opened nearly 100 years ago and we have yet to surpass the Oklahoma City of 1950. That should be a testament to how far we fell. But I will say this; I don't think the future has shined any brighter since a bunch of people pulling wagons first stopped at the banks of a small river in 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    In the last 50 to 60 years you would be correct. However, as far as we have come, we have not yet even recreated what Oklahoma City once was. We just re-opened a hotel that first opened nearly 100 years ago and we have yet to surpass the Oklahoma City of 1950. That should be a testament to how far we fell.
    As far as the urban fabric of downtown, you're correct. But that isn't all there was to OKC in 1950. Keep in mind that not all of our citizens were enjoying that. Segregation was rampant then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Looks like the power lines -- at least on the north shore near the boathouses under construction -- have been removed.

There should be four structures underway: Devon (OCU) boathouse, OU boathouse, UCO boathouse and the finish line tower.
    Is the finish line tower a finished and awarded project? I am extremely curious to see how they pull it off structurally. The renderings didn't have a lot of obvious column placements and a lot of cantilevered slabs.

Please excuse such a dumb question, but EXACTLY where are these? Where is the access to go see them?

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Please excuse such a dumb question, but EXACTLY where are these? Where is the access to go see them?
    The Boathouses are S. of Reno on Byers (on the N. side of the Oklahoma River)

Is the finish line tower a finished and awarded project
    Yes. It's fully funded and slated for completion at the same time of the Devon/OCU boathouse, which should be October of this year.

The Boathouses are S. of Reno on Byers (on the N. side of the Oklahoma River)
    Just a little more info. for people having a hard time picturing the location. In the photo below Lincoln Ave. is the bridge crossing the Oklahoma River. The Chesapeake boathouse is the funny shaped building just west of Lincoln. The finishline tower and other boathouses will be east of Lincoln.

It's pretty easy to find. You drive towards the Chesapeake boathouse and instead of turning right into the parking lot, you turn left. The last time I was there there were some houses in that location and a few streets, but if you head towards the river, it's pretty obvious where the construction is.

17. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

So glad the power lines have come down. I hadn't noticed that, but had certainly noticed how ugly they were before. They need to do that the entire length of the river as well as in Bricktown.

They're putting the steel up pretty quick.. They have most of the main outside steel done. I tried to take a pic from the bridge to show everybody the progress but my camera phone SUCKS!!! If someone gets a chance this weekend to take a pic and post it, that'd be greatly appreciated!! Weren't they suppose to already start the finish line tower too?!?

It was my understanding that the funding for and construction of the boat houses was in place prior to getting the approval for the finishline tower. I know The tower has been approved and so would expect construction to follow. I have no idea if working drawings were complete at that time, or if it was just a preliminary approval that has triggered the documentation phase that will lead to the permit being pulled and construction started.

Right now they have a massive pile of dirt where the tower is suppose to sit.. Is there any events planned this summer or fall? Wouldn't they need to get on the ball if so?

Well, the Head of the Oklahoma is every fall and is our big event....

They better step on it then!! I guess they could use the south shore if they had to...

Take a look here for the latest Boathouse District details and some great pics:

Boathouse District Development

Very exciting!

Very exciting. My son is arriving from Iraq today (I am VERY happy about that) and he's not been in the US for anything but a short vacation for four years. I'm really looking forward to showing him around OKC, and I think he'll be impressed. The river still had grass in it when he left for college.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Very exciting. My son is arriving from Iraq today (I am VERY happy about that) and he's not been in the US for anything but a short vacation for four years. I'm really looking forward to showing him around OKC, and I think he'll be impressed. The river still had grass in it when he left for college.
    Congrats on your son's safe return home.

Thread Information