Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Packard's

Default Re: Packard's

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    Sportscenter "On the Road" is filming from there, as well as outside the arena Saturday night. ESPN is doing a variety of things around town this weekend, including the Jump. Should be a great showcase for the city...hopefullly the team will compete like they are right now against the Cavs!

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    No, that's something different. SportsCenter is setting up on the Packard's roof from 8-11am on Saturday and 7-11am on Sunday. SportsCenter will also be set up from 5-7pm before the game at the Peake. https://medium.com/up-the-thunder/sp...e9a#.sterml107

Packard's is taking over some of the old Wine & Palette space which is actually across the hall / lobby that leads up to the rooftop.

Will be used for overflow seating, meetings and events.

Very smart move for them. Every time I try to go eat there I have to wait over an hour. I imagine they will have high demand for events.

I often point to Packard's as the rare exception that got off to a bit of a mixed start, then made adjustments and found a strong following.

Really glad to see them doing so well.

The other half of the space is going to be occupied by the Salon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I often point to Packard's as the rare exception that got off to a bit of a mixed start, then made adjustments and found a strong following.

Really glad to see them doing so well.
    Having the best rooftop in the city is why I kept giving it chances.

8. Default Re: Packard's

Honestly had no desire to go there after the first year or two (aside from good weather on the rooftop). The last few meals I've had have been great, service has been good, and as mentioned above it's been packed. Awesome location, so kudos to them for sticking it out and making the right changes to still be here and reap the benefits of being one of the first comers.

Blog Entries

Recent meal there was very good. Rooftop was fun. Guests from San Diego area were pleasantly surprised and had a great time. Definitely will go back more often now.

Construction has started. Build-out is approximately 60 days.

Rough week for OKC restauranteurs. Robert “Rosser” Ross, co-founder of interurban, Packard, Honey Bunny, etc, passed away today after a battle with cancer. Sad deal, he was a great guy.

https://oklahoman.com/article/568027...tm_term=011321

A couple huge losses for sure, it's been a rough year for the industry.

Closing at the end of the month:

14. Default Re: Packard's

That’s a massive loss.

It really is not a massive loss. The space will be taken over, and a more successful concept will take its place.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It really is not a massive loss. The space will be taken over, and a more successful concept will take its place.
    There are few built-out restaurant spaces in the core that stay empty very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are few built-out restaurant spaces in the core that stay empty very long.

Seems like Midtown R is cleaning house on the least successful midtown hospitality projects- 1492, Louie's and now packards.

Is the operator staying on with a new concept? It's a great space but the menu and food has been unappealing for a while.

Any word on the restaurant that is going to anchor the bottom of the Murrah building?

18. Default Re: Packard's

*PHILLIPS-Murrah

Sorry…I’m not one to nitpick, but in OKC the words “Murrah Building” can easily touch a nerve.

Pretty surprising honestly. It's always one of the most busy places during brunch. Maybe they weren't doing much business outside of that?

20. Default Re: Packard's

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    Pretty surprising honestly. It's always one of the most busy places during brunch. Maybe they weren't doing much business outside of that?
    They were a very popular lunch and happy hour destination before the pandemic, but pretty much every place downtown that catered primarily to the white collar weekday crowd has struggled to some extent since 2020. The office market and the businesses supporting it have seen far more disruption than is understood by people who don’t live/work in the core.

How would you know that? I am not convinced on that since long running restaurants are closing these days

I agree, Packard's had a great tenure, over 10 years. They did have great food. Packards's introduced me to "steel cut" oatmeal and it was delicious. Optimistic there will be new concept to replace it within a year, its on a busy corner in the ever growing Midtown district.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie1234 View Post
    Seems like Midtown R is cleaning house on the least successful midtown hospitality projects- 1492, Louie's and now packards.

Is the operator staying on with a new concept? It's a great space but the menu and food has been unappealing for a while.

Any word on the restaurant that is going to anchor the bottom of the Murrah building?

oh man, let’s not start this. That’s worse than the posters who insist on calling the cox convention center PSM lol.

24. Default Re: Packard's

Like other places I used to spend a lot of money, Packard's started feeling less exciting. The rooftop patio bar seemed an afterthought, and the food was not up to my standards, which isn't hard to make me happy. I understand that we live in a different economy after COVID, and the expansion of the food scene in OKC is massive, but places like this should not lose customers. It has always had one of the best patios in the city! Even though some businesses have gone to in-house work instead of making everyone go into an office, plenty of people live downtown now. Some locations lack a great spot with amazing amenities, but they are doing fine. People expect more now, and if you don't keep up with that, you will end up like Packard's.

I generally agree the food had felt pretty uninspired the last few years. Did pop in for brunch on Sunday and sat at the bar (2 hour wait to sit at a table). Bartender (who I recognized as someone that's worked there for a long time) said it was partially sales related but primarily that their rent was increased beyond a level they could sustain. So definitely seems like Midtown R is cleaning house a bit. But it's such a great space I doubt it stays empty for long.

Thread Information