Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

That location for a Walmart would present an interesting challenge to what I would suspect to be Crest's flagship store. Walmart would have to have a really high opinion of themselves for that, I would think.

Learned a bit more as to the Walmart rumor: supposedly on NE corner. Don't know if it would be a supercenter or not. And, yes, Newcastle is very close...but perhaps they would close it to have a larger store? According to Cleveland County records, the NE parcel is approx. 90 acres. And, no, Crest would not be happy about a supercenter; Neighborhood Market wouldn't bother Crest, as NM have higher prices than SC.

The other part of the 'rumor' is apts. going in, instead of Walmart.

There is a neighborhood market 3 miles away at 104 and western

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    There is a neighborhood market 3 miles away at 104 and western
    Yeah I'd buy into it being a SC before a neighborhood market. I mean a SC is not out of the question IMO, it just seems to be a little over-saturated. Although the 240 Walmart is a bit dated, and I know most of us that live in this area go to the Newcastle, Moore or Mustang Walmart depending on where exactly we live. This area is kind of in the middle of those 3 without being super close to any of them, so it's a possibility.

The land is still listed for sale. It is 90.50 acres and is 11.8 million. Small change for Walmart. Although there is a Walmart SC at 240 and also one on 19th street....they are always packed. No one in my family including my parents who live near the 240 store will go to them. We drive to Newcastle. There is a big population growth and a lot of homes in this area so I could see a supercenter going here. A new Target would be much better though. The link to property is CBRE, Inc. - NE Corner of SW 104th & Interstate 44, Retail (land), SW 104th Street & Interstate 44, Oklahoma City, OK.

I don't think a SC will hurt the Crest. SC carries a limited amount of brands and the meat selection is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The land is still listed for sale. It is 90.50 acres and is 11.8 million. Small change for Walmart. Although there is a Walmart SC at 240 and also one on 19th street....they are always packed. No one in my family including my parents who live near the 240 store will go to them. We drive to Newcastle. There is a big population growth and a lot of homes in this area so I could see a supercenter going here. A new Target would be much better though. The link to property is CBRE, Inc. - NE Corner of SW 104th & Interstate 44, Retail (land), SW 104th Street & Interstate 44, Oklahoma City, OK.

I don't think a SC will hurt the Crest. SC carries a limited amount of brands and the meat selection is horrible.
    Lol, exactly what I just said. But I do agree with the sentiment that a super Target would be better. I actually think I remember see some speculation long ago about a super Target there.

OKC has enough Walmart stores. I'm hoping for a Target there myself.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    There is dirt work going on on the SE corner of 74th and Portland. Anyone know what's going on?
    Have kept an eye on this parcel... Looks to me like it is a staging area for the Portland Ave relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    That location for a Walmart would present an interesting challenge to what I would suspect to be Crest's flagship store. Walmart would have to have a really high opinion of themselves for that, I would think.
    That is probably the point. In OKC in particular, Wal-Mart has driven out nearly all of the competing grocery stores. I am sure they are frightened by Crest's expansion and want to put out the fire before it gets too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm not sure why they'd put a Walmart there. There is one on 240, and one down the road in Newcastle. I don't feel like there is enough room over there unless they are doing it on the airport land off of the new Portland.
    This is Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I really don't think most people care though. It's cheaper at Wal-Mart so they go there.

We wonder why OKC can never seem to get a decent retail development like other places get. EVERYTHING has to be anchored by a Wal-Mart. I guess I just had higher hopes that this development would end up being SOMETHING other than another Wal-Mart shopping center.

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Have kept an eye on this parcel... Looks to me like it is a staging area for the Portland Ave relocation.
    I think you're right. I hadn't been by there in a while, but when I went by today they had made a lot of progress on the realignment.

Yeah I'd buy into it being a SC before a neighborhood market. I mean a SC is not out of the question IMO, it just seems to be a little over-saturated. Although the 240 Walmart is a bit dated, and I know most of us that live in this area go to the Newcastle, Moore or Mustang Walmart depending on where exactly we live. This area is kind of in the middle of those 3 without being super close to any of them, so it's a possibility.
    Wal-Mart's strategy in OKC is to saturate themselves so that nothing else can compete. I am sure this Supercenter is being built in hopes of pushing out Crest.

I hope it's not another Walmart Supercenter, If it has to be Walmart I'd rather it be a NM. Like I said I'd much rather have a Target over there. A Super Target would be even better.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

FWIW, the WM rumors have been out there for 10+ years. I doubt if anything is going to happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Wal-Mart's strategy in OKC is to saturate themselves so that nothing else can compete. I am sure this Supercenter is being built in hopes of pushing out Crest.
    Don't say is as if it's already set in stone that a WM will be built here. I pray they don't build another Supercenter here or there or anywhere else in the OKC metro.

Building a second Wal-Mart in Stillwater several years ago has, so far, worked to keep Target out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Building a second Wal-Mart in Stillwater several years ago has, so far, worked to keep Target out.
    Makes sense. Wal-Mart kept Target out of Ft. Smith for decades by saturating the area with Supercenters. Eventually Target came in but not without a fight.

In OKC, the last thing Wal-Mart wants is a strong, competing grocery chain to get established. Right now, they almost have a monopoly on the grocery stores but see Crest as a real threat.

That is probably the point. In OKC in particular, Wal-Mart has driven out nearly all of the competing grocery stores. I am sure they are frightened by Crest's expansion and want to put out the fire before it gets too big.

This is Oklahoma City.
    I really don't think most people care though. It's cheaper at Wal-Mart so they go there.

We wonder why OKC can never seem to get a decent retail development like other places get. EVERYTHING has to be anchored by a Wal-Mart. I guess I just had higher hopes that this development would end up being SOMETHING other than another Wal-Mart shopping center.
    Makes sense. Wal-Mart kept Target out of Ft. Smith for decades by saturating the area with Supercenters. Eventually Target came in but not without a fight.

In OKC, the last thing Wal-Mart wants is a strong, competing grocery chain to get established. Right now, they almost have a monopoly on the grocery stores but see Crest as a real threat.
    Do you have an anti-Walmart/end-of-days sandwich board suit replete with a tin-foil hat? Is there a twelve-step program for anti-Walmart obsession? Walmart is subject to the free market, as well, and if other stores can't compete with Walmart, they deserve to go under. As for myself, I can't imagine Walmart succeeding there, in either SC form or NM form.

19. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Do you have an anti-Walmart/end-of-days sandwich board suit replete with a tin-foil hat? Is there a twelve-step program for anti-Walmart obsession? Walmart is subject to the free market, as well, and if other stores can't compete with Walmart, they deserve to go under. As for myself, I can't imagine Walmart succeeding there, in either SC form or NM form.
    Actually we used to have trust-busting anti-monopoly laws in this country... Walmart is precisely OKC's problem, but any movement against WM should be careful not to ostracize the infamous "people of Walmart" lest they come for you...

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

WalMart couldn't care less about Crest. They do impact their OKC sales SOME, but when was the last time you went to a WalMart that wasn't overflowing with people? In a multi-billion dollar company, Crest is a small-fry and only a minimal annoyance.

OKC is far from being unique in having a competing local chain as well. Public, H-E-B, Piggy Wiggly, the list goes on and on. Even Homeland has an impact here with what little they do. It's just not anything WalMart loses the least bit of sleep over.

Crest has shown they can directly compete though. Look at Norman. The largest Crest ever built is gong in from the ground-up (which is the first time since the Edmond Store) right down the street from a Super Center.

And if you think the 240 WalMart is "dated", i'd like to see what you think of the Norman/Moore/Bell Isle/etc stores since those are even older.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Actually we used to have trust-busting anti-monopoly laws in this country... Walmart is precisely OKC's problem, but any movement against WM should be careful not to ostracize the infamous "people of Walmart" lest they come for you...
    Walmart is no where near a monopoly in OKC or anywhere. Nor is Walmart OKC's problem. The problem is that Walmart was and is courted by the municipalities and given breaks (that you can bet Crest or any other potential competitor) to build in the right city limits. Then the potential competitors assume the world hates Walmart (after all, have you ever seen a "people of Crest" website / train wreck?) and fails to compete with them believing no one will shop there when their so-called loyal customers can spend their purchasing dollars with a store they're already familiar with and know.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    WalMart couldn't care less about Crest. They do impact their OKC sales SOME, but when was the last time you went to a WalMart that wasn't overflowing with people? In a multi-billion dollar company, Crest is a small-fry and only a minimal annoyance.

OKC is far from being unique in having a competing local chain as well. Public, H-E-B, Piggy Wiggly, the list goes on and on. Even Homeland has an impact here with what little they do. It's just not anything WalMart loses the least bit of sleep over.

Crest has shown they can directly compete though. Look at Norman. The largest Crest ever built is gong in from the ground-up (which is the first time since the Edmond Store) right down the street from a Super Center.

And if you think the 240 WalMart is "dated", i'd like to see what you think of the Norman/Moore/Bell Isle/etc stores since those are even older.
    I know the Moore one has been updated with their new paint scheme and logo. 240 still is blue with the old logo.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

The largest Crest ever built is gong in from the ground-up (which is the first time since the Edmond Store) right down the street from a Super Center.
    The S May location was ground-up and much larger than the Edmond location.

24. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

I know the Moore one has been updated with their new paint scheme and logo. 240 still is blue with the old logo.
    So paint and a logo make the place different? WalMart repaints their buidlings every 10 years....they sem to change logos about that often as well. Not sure how that makes any different in the building though.

So paint and a logo make the place different? WalMart repaints their buidlings every 10 years....they sem to change logos about that often as well. Not sure how that makes any different in the building though.
    Absolutely, in the same regards that updating your house allows it to retain value. The point that I think was missed is that Walmart puts money back into those "older" stores that are in better locations. Unfortunately for the 240 location it hasn't been very well maintained.

Thread Information