Widgets Magazine
Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 95455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

1. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    How do you know I'm overwatering? I have young fescue because of too much shade in my back yard and having to have a major drainage project in my yard last year (including the installation of irrigation hardware). It requires a lot of water to get fescue established.
    It requires that the ground be kept moist for 2-3 weeks. Once established overwatering fescue can lead to disease. 1" to 1 1/2" of water a week is sufficient for fescue and daily watering is discouraged...... So what kind of fescue did you plant that defies these recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Well your statement kind of assumes a static environment, doesn't it? The fact is that 1) we have it; and 2) our needs have been looked after well into the future. Anything you have suggested is nothing more than an overreaction to the facts as they are.
    No..... Everything I have suggested is that, even in times of plenty, conservation is still a good practice while being wasteful, even during periods of abundance, is irresponsible.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    It requires that the ground be kept moist for 2-3 weeks. Once established overwatering fescue can lead to disease. 1" to 1 1/2" of water a week is sufficient for most fescue and daily watering is discouraged...... So what kind of fescue did you plant that defies these recommendations?
    I got a blend from Home Depot some kind of Scots something. It hasn't thickened up. I'll probably overseed a few times in the Fall. I also irrigate a vegetable garden and various flower gardens which definitely need daily watering.

No..... Everything I have suggested is that, even in times of plenty, conservation is still a good practice while being wasteful, even during periods of abundance, is irresponsible.
    So I guess you're now acknowledging we're in times of plenty? Wasteful is such a subjective word and contains so many judgments that it's just inappropriate for you to utter it without knowing any facts. The odd/even thing is pointless. We are supplied with water for many years. This is a resource which also wastes due to evaporation if it's not used. In the grand scheme of things the professionals have handled the situation and there are a few cranks on the internet who still think this is a thing.

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

I'm the kind of guy who turns on a couple of extra floodlights during Earth Hour, but I also suspect that the population is increasing faster than the water supply's ability to meet its demands, so I tend to be stingy with water. My lawn looks fine, and I haven't brought out the sprinklers since late 2012.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

I have tropical plants, tons if them, thya require daily watering as well as my banana trees.

I water my new plat of Zoysia grass three times a day.... I believe in saving water, but it seems people on this thread took it to a new extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I water my new plat of Zoysia grass three times a day.... I believe in saving water,
    Stop trolling.

6. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have tropical plants, tons if them, thya require daily watering as well as my banana trees.

I water my new plat of Zoysia grass three times a day.... I believe in saving water, but it seems people on this thread took it to a new extreme.
    I'm going to hope that you're just joking because any landscaper will tell you to plant things as native to your area as possible both because of water usage and because of the ability to survive the temperature changes.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    I'm the kind of guy who turns on a couple of extra floodlights during Earth Hour, but I also suspect that the population is increasing faster than the water supply's ability to meet its demands, so I tend to be stingy with water. My lawn looks fine, and I haven't brought out the sprinklers since late 2012.
    More than likely, populations are going to have to relocate to places where water is abundant. OKC is going to be one of those places. DFW is not.

The folks who should be truly worried are those in Las Vegas. Lake Meade is always increasing in salinity due to runoff from the Colorado. If that water becomes unpotable, that city will literally dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Heck yea, besides watering just means more mowing. My bermuda grass has turned completely brown before and greened right back up with a good rain.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Heck yea, besides watering just means more mowing. My bermuda grass has turned completely brown before and greened right back up with a good rain.
    Bermuda grass won't grow in the shade and fescue doesn't go dormant without water like bermuda does. My sister in Atlanta got a notice from her homeowners association for the lack of grass in the shade of the tree in her front yard so she had the tree removed, Monday. Trees or grass, or trees plus grass and all it entails.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm going to hope that you're just joking because any landscaper will tell you to plant things as native to your area as possible both because of water usage and because of the ability to survive the temperature changes.
    I was joking about the Zoysia, but I do have over 40 tropical plants. It's a hobby more than anything.

Had some of my plants for over 10 years now and they're better than ever. Some require water daily..... I had a fern that grew three feet tall and required water every time it got dry and I forgot to water it after 3 years ONCE and it died.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yesterday I mowed my lawn in the 95° heat in anticipation of the rain today, but I had a glass of water afterwards. Sorry, I am a terrible person...
    You're only a terrible person if you didn't also shower after.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    My sister in Atlanta got a notice from her homeowners association for the lack of grass in the shade of the tree in her front yard so she had the tree removed, Monday. Trees or grass, or trees plus grass and all it entails.
    There in lies the problem - regulatory bodies making the ornamental choice not the responsible choice. I have stopped replacing grass. If grass dies in my yard it becomes a flower bed or garden gnome display area.

Just a quick note from the road:

Up here, people are concerned, complaining, noting, bitching, griping and whining about too much rain (and the results thereof).
    Maybe we need to find the closest politician to Al Franken and elect him . . . or her. =)

I actually don't water my grass at all. If it rains it gets super green, if it's dry like May was, it was green-tint ish. Which is good enough for me that's less mowing I have to do. Gotta love the toughness of Bermuda.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I actually don't water my grass at all. If it rains it gets super green, if it's dry like May was, it was green-tint ish. Which is good enough for me that's less mowing I have to do. Gotta love the toughness of Bermuda.
    I never water either. I didn't have to mow my back yard (which is about 2/3 acre) this year until mid May. After the Round-up it gets in late March and the dry spring we had I didn't have to until then. And with the aggressive MSMA treatments it's been getting to kill the crab grass and just mowing the bermuda, even with the rain lately the mowing isn't too bad.

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

To somewhat change the subject, I was visiting OKC this last week and had the opportunity to drive around the East Wharf area of Lake Hefner around sunset after a day that topped out about 98 degrees. I was very pleased to see the activity level and numbers of people who were both dining but just generally enjoying the walking and biking trails as well as the new Lions Club park. Plenty of women who feel safe to use the exercise facilities, plenty of bikers and plenty of families. It appeared the level of activity was not far from the need for some additional parking. I visit much more in the winter when things aren't going on to the extent they are now at the lake but it is starting to remind me of olden days at White Rock Lake in Dallas.

Today wasn't much different, as I bicycled and then hung for a spell at Louie's, which is at a perfect trailside location. A goodly number of people were out, and the breeze was just balmy enough, despite the high temperature, across the lake. The lake itself is at what I call a "good low": Certainly below level, but enough to where it is still "full" and therefore enough to be useful for activity, and picturesque.

18. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

25% full now.

Any pics of Hefner and Overholser given the abundant rains lately? Does anybody make it out to draper who could provide pics?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Lake Hefner, as of July 10...

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 07159550 Lake Hefner at Oklahoma City, OK

I'll try to get out there today or tomorrow and take some pics.

Canton Lake, current conditions...

Canton Lake 2014 - YouTube

Wow! Impressive vid!

I wish I had a drone. Looked into ordering that model but they were back ordered by months. Never seen Canton Lake Dam before. Thanks for posting!

Maybe you should go after the frac wells that have been eating up 2-5 million gallons of water per well. Water still in that area, just about a mile underground and now polluted with chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    25% full now.

Any pics of Hefner and Overholser given the abundant rains lately? Does anybody make it out to draper who could provide pics?
    I was at Mama Rojas the other night and looked about 4-5 feet down. A lot of improvement and could be close to normal if we get the forecasted rains for next week.

Draper has a supply pipe so I'm its fine. Lol

25. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

thanks guys (and gals) for the pics and info. please keep us informed.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information