Widgets Magazine
Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 85354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Yesterday I mowed my lawn in the 95° heat in anticipation of the rain today, but I had a glass of water afterwards. Sorry, I am a terrible person...
    You sure are, you should have paid someone to do that for you. The lawn care industry employs thousands of people. Do your part to support the local economy.

That said, with my newly planted lawn, I fired the most recent group I had and started taking care of it on my own. For awhile.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase it. You shouldn't live in OKC and landscape like you live in the rainforest.
    Unless you can afford the water.

Things are not so dire here as you seem to want them to be.

You shouldn't do it even if you can afford it. Doing the right thing doesn't depend on your income - it depends on your conscience. And maybe that is the problem, some people don't have one. It is a good thing we write laws to regulate the activities of people without one.

4. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    You shouldn't do it even if you can afford it. Doing the right thing doesn't depend on your income - it depends on your conscience. And maybe that is the problem, some people don't have one. It is a good thing we write laws to regulate the activities of people without one.
    Yeah, because we all know that laws are so effective at stopping those that neither care for, or think they are above, the law...... Am I right Midtowner? You are watering on both odd and even days, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah, because we all know that laws are so effective at stopping those that neither care for, or think they are above, the law...... Am I right Midtowner? You are watering on both odd and even days, aren't you?
    I water when it needs to. If it's an odd day, I can wait until midnight to water and then water again that day before midnight if it's really hot. It's kind of silly that we have rationing right now anyhow. That said, I'm sure you always obey the speed limit and come to a complete stop at every stop sign.

6. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I water when it needs to. If it's an odd day, I can wait until midnight to water and then water again that day before midnight if it's really hot. It's kind of silly that we have rationing right now anyhow. That said, I'm sure you always obey the speed limit and come to a complete stop at every stop sign.
    As has already been determined in another thread on traffic in Oklahoma City.... Those aren't really laws... Merely suggestions.

For the most part I do obey those suggestions.... Especially the older I get.

As has already been determined in another thread on traffic in Oklahoma City.... Those aren't really laws... Merely suggestions.

For the most part I do obey those suggestions.... Especially the older I get.
    Strangely, when spotted by a law enforcement officer, each violation carries a penalty if they take the time to cite you for it. But let me suggest this, not all speeders are sociopaths.

--and people who water their laws because they like green lawns in a city which insists we are covered in our water needs for years and years are also not necessarily sociopaths.

8. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Strangely, when spotted by a law enforcement officer, each violation carries a penalty if they take the time to cite you for it. But let me suggest this, not all speeders are sociopaths.

--and people who water their laws because they like green lawns in a city which insists we are covered in our water needs for years and years are also not necessarily sociopaths.
    I'm pretty sure the speeders in the referenced thread were all sociopaths.

My point was that laws don't stop people from doing what the law is intended to prevent as JtF suggested.

From day one in this thread you have come across as the type that would dump all the water in Lake Hefner on your lawn, if you could, and everyone else be damned..... Could that be construed to be sociopathic?

It sounds to me like OKC is being very proactive in water issues.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/4984643?embargo=1

Coming upgrades to Oklahoma City’s water system include plans to begin pumping treated wastewater back into Lake Hefner.

The Water Utilities Trust on Tuesday agreed to a five-year, $1 billion plan that includes work on a second pipeline to ship drinking water from southeast Oklahoma, steps to integrate separate parts of the water distribution system, and improvements to enable reuse of water from Oklahoma City’s Deer Creek wastewater treatment plant.

Treated wastewater would be of a consistently higher quality than the variable river water feeding Lake Hefner, said Marsha Slaughter, the utilities director.

not all speeders are sociopaths.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    thank you!
    Of course some are though.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Of course some are though.
    now I have a buzzer in my Fiat to warn me when I get over a certain speed, so it's helped

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    now I have a buzzer in my Fiat to warn me when I get over a certain speed, so it's helped
    If the buzzer fits, it must acquit.

The Water Utilities Trust on Tuesday agreed to a five-year, $1 billion plan
    That is as much as the City spent on MAPS I and MAPS III combined. It makes the cost of the new Hefner water treatment plant look like child's play. It was only $48.5 million.

From day one in this thread you have come across as the type that would dump all the water in Lake Hefner on your lawn, if you could, and everyone else be damned..... Could that be construed to be sociopathic?
    From day one, I haven't bought the premise that we need to overreact to the situation. We took one water release from Canton, lake Hefner is now fine. Canton, not so much. The Water Utilities Trust has our water needs at present level and well beyond taken care of for years and years. OKC is not in the middle of a desert and water is something we have an embarassment of riches of.

Go xeriscape your own lawn. Leave mine the hell alone.

Denial meet Midtowner. I guess the $1 billion plan to bring in more water is either a waste of money or money is no object.

17. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

From day one, I haven't bought the premise that we need to overreact to the situation. We took one water release from Canton, lake Hefner is now fine. Canton, not so much. The Water Utilities Trust has our water needs at present level and well beyond taken care of for years and years. OKC is not in the middle of a desert and water is something we have an embarassment of riches of.

Go xeriscape your own lawn. Leave mine the hell alone.
    Don't tell me what to do with my lawn.... I have a beautiful lawn..... Plan on mowing it tonight and laying down some fertilizer too.

So odd/even watering is overreacting? I'm a freaking water miser and I have a nice lawn but I hate wasting money. So my lawn gets watered when it absolutely needs it.

Just because we have it doesn't mean we need to be wasting it. I don't buy groceries for a week and eat them all in one day just because I have plenty. Why would I want to do that with water supply?

So odd/even watering is overreacting?
    Yes. There is no reason to conserve and have criminal penalties for failing to do so in order to address a problem which doesn't exist.

The City is spending $1 billion to solve this non-problem.

This is the #1 reason I adopted the New Urbansim. I don't want to pay the tax rates our current development style requires. Alas, no one is telling you that you have to get rid of your yard Midtowner. All I am saying - and I think most others as well - is that the City should stop allowing NEW large yards to be built. If anything, that will drive up the demand for your yard and increase the value of your property.

What do I mean by 'large', that can be open for debate.

20. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Yes. There is no reason to conserve and have criminal penalties for failing to do so in order to address a problem which doesn't exist.
    So what you are saying is that we should all be over-watering our lawns so we can cause the problem to exist?

From my point of view. Conservation is never a bad thing. Whether it be water, food, fuel, etc... We don't live in a static environment and just because we have it today doesn't mean we will have it tomorrow.

Midtowner is the equivalent of the guy who goes out and runs his engine for an hour on Earth Day. All he really succeeds in doing is wasting resources.

You sure can't tell we have a major water problem from the promotional videos of vast areas of flowing water, golf courses, "acreages" that beckon and lush gardens. Maybe the video should just open up to a cactus and say "Don't move here. Nothing to see. We barely have enough water for the people who live here now." Or not.

23. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    You sure can't tell we have a major water problem from the promotional videos of vast areas of flowing water, golf courses, "acreages" that beckon, and lush gardens. Maybe the video should just open up to the a cactus and say "Don't move here. Nothing to see. We barely have enough water for the people who live here now." Or not.
    I don't think we have a major water problem either.... Where I differ from Midtowner is that he advocates that just because we don't have a problem that we should all have carte blanche to waste as many of our resources as we want. I on the other hand believe that conservation is always a good thing.

I don't think we have a major water problem either.... Where I differ from Midtowner is that he advocates that just because we don't have a problem that we should all have carte blanche to waste as many of our resources as we want. I on the other hand believe that conservation is always a good thing.
    I agree on conservation. I'm pretty miserly. Most Oklahomans are, and it shows in our water use figures.

So what you are saying is that we should all be over-watering our lawns so we can cause the problem to exist?
    How do you know I'm overwatering? I have young fescue because of too much shade in my back yard and having to have a major drainage project in my yard last year (including the installation of irrigation hardware). It requires a lot of water to get fescue established.

From my point of view. Conservation is never a bad thing. Whether it be water, food, fuel, etc... We don't live in a static environment and just because we have it today doesn't mean we will have it tomorrow.
    Well your statement kind of assumes a static environment, doesn't it? The fact is that 1) we have it; and 2) our needs have been looked after well into the future. Anything you have suggested is nothing more than an overreaction to the facts as they are.

Thread Information