Widgets Magazine
Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 65152535455565758596061106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3702

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

I haven't thought of a name yet but I've always loved Ou's football stadium being called the palace on the prairie and for the park a name that highlights it's uniqueness of a major urban park on the plains would be fitting. But I also think anything that highlights the Union Station would be equally as fitting.

Not the Park You Were Pitched
    (but it'll do)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Sounds a little like Rosa Parks.
    Rose Rock Commons doesn't sound too bad...

I entered two possible names into the list. The first was SISSOR-TAIL PARK. I think this name works well with the SKYDANCE BRIDGE.
    MY second choise is RENEWAL PARK. I see the park as a sign of the renewal of all the city, not just the down town. Hopefuly this renewal will spread south and west to include Capitol Hill and The Stockyards area. These areas have been ignored for way to long.

OKC Walk Park

Blog Entries

Film Exchange Park

it's the least we could do

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Film Exchange Park

it's the least we could do
    I had similar thoughts.... although I just thought "Exchange Park". But I don't think they'll want to acknowledge what they did.

2Lanez Guest

Citizens' Park, or Citizens' Common. A nod to the spirit of OKC's people, who, by agreeing to tax themselves, have made MAPS projects possible.

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    What about "Skydance" has to do with our heritage? I'm not being snotty, I truly don't get the reference. I thought it was a pretty random name for the pedestrian bridge when it was announced.
    I may be off base, but I think Skydance is a reference to the flight of the Scissortale. . from "All About Birds" website: They are agile in the air, spreading their long tails wide to make abrupt turns and stalls. " Their flight is like a "skydance". This is what I remember being told as a child ( and I'm old )

When the large majority of people don't understand the connection, I'm not sure of the value.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I voted Union Park. Short and sweet, and has an obvious connection to the Union Station right there.

Originally I was favoring the Skydance idea, but changed my mind over time.
    +1

The committee will choose what names they think best, right?
    Reading some posts on this thread, it seems like a popularity contest/numerical vote for whichever names are cast more than others.

Blog Entries

Skydane Park (IMO) is much more broad inclusion of our bird heritage--like the bird from Oklahoma's state song; '...hawk, makin lazy circles in the sky' to the state bird, the scissortail flycatcher.

We need to keep it as simple to boast the park's popularity. Just not a fan of trying to include a string of elongated names.

Skydane Park is truncated; now within the park we could dedicate certain areas or sections of remembrance like a veterans memorial, Mayor Cornett & Family & something recognizing a few citizens like Patience Latting (first woman mayor of OKC) or list of all OKC mayors.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    The committee will choose what names they think best, right?
    Reading some posts on this thread, it seems like a popularity contest/numerical vote for whichever names are cast more than others.
    They will choose finalists then there will be an on-line public vote.

2Lanez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When the large majority of people don't understand the connection, I'm not sure of the value.
    Right. If people on this board don't know what a Skydance is, imagine what it sounds like to a tourist.

16. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    Right. If people on this board don't know what a Skydance is, imagine what it sounds like to a tourist.
    I'm guessing it will sound like something interesting and memorable that will cause them to ask about it, which is a good thing. The large majority of people, natives and tourists, will likely have no idea why (i.e., the connection) it is called Union Park or other variations that have been discussed here either.

2Lanez Guest

Or, it just sounds like a hokey, made-up word.

Blog Entries

Sundance Square in Fort Worth

When I lived in Fort Worth, they promoted the 'Sundance.' theme.

Leave something for the imagination with Skydance; tourists who want to know will ask questions or do the research.

I don't understand the dislike for the Skydance Bridge. I think it's part of what makes OKC a unique city. And it's cool to see as you're approaching it at night and it's changing colors. It will be a perfect link between the upper and lower parks. I do photography and I'm already looking forward to taking pictures from the bridge showing BOK, the park, and any other new developments that pop pup in the coming years. Do I know what Skydance means? No. Do I care? Nope. Do I like the name? Yep!

I think everyone is overthinking this. Whenever your typing the word Skydance in, your computer probably tries to auto-correct it. It's the perfect name because it forces tourist to ask questions. But it's 2017 so most people will just google it, and when you google it 100 pictures of OKC pops up. It's better than a historic figure or any historic name. It's more like a free brand and OKC would have the market cornered.

If they name it Skydance, they should maybe put up some kind of plaque at the main entrance (or entrances) explaining what it means. Yeah, I know a lot of people won't care what it means, and some that do will just look it up on their phones, but still be nice to have something there telling the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I don't understand the dislike for the Skydance Bridge. I think it's part of what makes OKC a unique city. And it's cool to see as you're approaching it at night and it's changing colors. It will be a perfect link between the upper and lower parks. I do photography and I'm already looking forward to taking pictures from the bridge showing BOK, the park, and any other new developments that pop pup in the coming years. Do I know what Skydance means? No. Do I care? Nope. Do I like the name? Yep!
    I love the bridge. I do not love the name. I really feel like the majority of people who I've discussed the name with don't care for it, at all. I am surprised there are so many on this message board that support it so vehemently. Or, maybe its just a few people with loud voices

I have no problem with Skydance as a name for the bridge or for the park for that matter. It's unique and doesn't soundlike we are trying to copy anyone else which is refreshing.

I don't care what the name of the Skydance bridge, I just wish they would have built the original suspended cable version...

The top five name submissions so far for the park are Land Run Park, Scissortail Park, Skydance Park, Union Park, and Unity Park.
    http://www.news9.com/story/34850317/...-downtown-park

Thread Information