Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 101 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2525

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

$89 million expansion set to move forward at Will Rogers Airport

After setting all-time traveler records in 2017 and with summer numbers up more than 10% from the previous year, Will Rogers World Airport is set to move forward with an ambitious and sweeping expansion.

OKCTalk was first to report the plans back in 2015 and after a delay, the $89-million project is once again moving forward.

This week, the OKC Airport Trust will vote on a resolution to endorse pursuing $115 million in revenue bonds which will help fund a 5-year capital plan.

Airport spokesperson Karen Carney told OKCTalk that this was in aid of the terminal project which should start construction in early 2019 and last approximately 30 months.

Construction will involve expanding the terminal to the east on three levels and adding 4 new gates. A second expansion phase with an undetermined timeline would ultimately add 7 more gates as the airport continues to explore opportunities to increase the number of carriers and flights.

In addition to the new space and gates, a new single security checkpoint is to be constructed and the existing two security areas will be abandoned and the space reallocated in the 2nd level check-in and ticketing area.

The last major airport renovation was well underway when the tragedy of 9/11 struck, causing the airport to hurriedly accommodate new security that has proven to be less than optimum, especially with the continuing rise of passenger traffic.

The new consolidated screening area will be much larger and built to TSA specifications, with the resulting streamlining greatly increasing efficiency, Carney said.

The new construction would add also baggage claims on the lower level and a 3rd level observation gallery, which will be a suspended viewing deck in the heart of the terminal providing public access to airfield views and incorporating additional lounge space and exhibits.

OKC-based Frankfurt-Short-Bruza is partnering with Hellmuth Obata & Kassabaum on design, architecture and engineering work.

In a press release, the design calls for “The intergration of public art installations and expansive windows and skylights allowing for more natural light. Interior enhancements of some existing spaces are also plannned included expanded greeter areas and more seating in baggage claim.”

I’m extremely excited for this one! Pete do you think OKC could become an international airport in the future or is that absolutely out of the question?

I saw a new airport garage mentioned somewhere. When and where is this thing happening? It is much needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    I’m extremely excited for this one! Pete do you think OKC could become an international airport in the future or is that absolutely out of the question?
    They mention this possibility in their long-term plan and the next phase of the east expansion (the next 7 gates) would be built to accomodate large planes.

Great update to see this keep moving forward.

6. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I'm so glad to see this is finally kicking in to gear. And i'm glad the security point is being looked at again as well. I'm a little disappointed that they are only doing the partial expansion, but i understand the hesitation until there's the solid need. Maybe they can wall those areas off and convert them to some eateries

^

When demand dictates, adding the next phase should be pretty straight-forward.

That would not involve the terminal building itself, just extending the east concourse.

London heathrow got its 3rd runway approved, it’s going to take a long time to get built but maybe that’s an international flight we can get. That or Dubai which is basically the international hub for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    London heathrow got its 3rd runway approved, it’s going to take a long time to get built but maybe that’s an international flight we can get. That or Dubai which is basically the international hub for the world.
    I am thinking more along the lines of Toronto or Mexico City. Europe (aside from Iceland) is probably pie in the sky for a decade, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I am thinking more along the lines of Toronto or Mexico City. Europe (aside from Iceland) is probably pie in the sky for a decade, in my opinion.
    Or possibly seasonal resort destinations.

Meant to mention that this new work has a stated goal of "Plan for future international screening".

Really need a 2 million metro plus to even be in the conversation for long haul. Even then, it’s a very recent development in the international market and it’s a fragmentation that is yet to be proven as sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Really need a 2 million metro plus to even be in the conversation for long haul. Even then, it’s a very recent development in the international market and it’s a fragmentation that is yet to be proven as sustainable.
    well from 2010 census to 2015 estimate shows an increase in metro population of right around 200,000... bringing it up to the 1.4 million range. if that growth has continued, we might be 1.6 to 1.65 million in next census

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I think we could handle a once a week minimum to somewhere in Europe, most likely London/Paris. We could draw from Tulsa and Wichita markets too, just like some from here go to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I think we could handle a once a week minimum to somewhere in Europe, most likely London/Paris. We could draw from Tulsa and Wichita markets too, just like some from here go to Dallas.
    Shoot, I would probably go to London/Paris twice a year if we had non-stop service! The only reason we don't travel to Europe more often is because one basically wastes 2-4 days traveling over there with connections and what not.

Blog Entries

IMO what they identify as "phase 2" should actually be phase 3, and the real phase 2 should be $200M for light rail (or dedicated BRT, but preferably light rail) from airport to Santa Fe Station. By the time we need those other 7 gates, we'll need transit, so do that first and get ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    IMO what they identify as "phase 2" should actually be phase 3, and the real phase 2 should be $200M for light rail (or dedicated BRT, but preferably light rail) from airport to Santa Fe Station. By the time we need those other 7 gates, we'll need transit, so do that first and get ahead of it.
    Agree but the city always says “well we had bus service and no one ever used it”. That’s true, but it was also 3 times a day and missed every major time where it would be useful.

Blog Entries

Agree. But to the city I say, we have bus service to all sorts of good places in the city that many people don't use, which I can attest to as a frequent bus rider myself. That doesn't mean those routes should go away. Low-utilization of the airport bus is not a good indicator of how a different mode with better connectivity/wayfinding would get used. I mean, the airport bus only serviced the airport 3 times a day I believe (or hourly at best at one point perhaps), and it was neither super clear how to use it once outside, or clearly indicated inside that there was a reliable downtown transit connection.

If an argument can be made that we should build a downtown circulator/TOD streetcar (instead of a proper neighborhood/jobs connecting straight transit line) that will spur growth of the system into a true transit system, then the same argument can be made for airport transit if done right. It's not going to do as much for transit in the beginning, but we NEED it long term. In fact, post new convention center, airport-downtown rapid transit should be a top priority for the chamber IMO. If we can push through a new half-billion dollar CC, we can push through a new half-billion dollar transit connection to that new CC in MAPS 4. Come on chamber, let's see it!

So will there be more food options with this expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Once a week flights only work in very special circumstances. Frankly, such a service from OKC to anywhere in Europe is a non-starter. OKC has neither the tourist nor business traffic to Europe to support such a service.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Shoot, I would probably go to London/Paris twice a year if we had non-stop service! The only reason we don't travel to Europe more often is because one basically wastes 2-4 days traveling over there with connections and what not.
    You're joking right? Those two extra hours you spend connecting via DFW (for example) are the only reason you don't go to Europe more? I'm sorry but that makes literally zero sense. There are umpteen itineraries on multiple airlines that will connect you to Europe with a ~1 hour layover at DFW, ORD, ATL, etc - but somehow that adds up to 2-4 days?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So will there be more food options with this expansion?
    Yes but we obviously won't know exactly what until they near completion and announce who they leased space to.

Blog Entries

The new construction would add also baggage claims on the lower level and a 3rd level observation gallery, which will be a suspended viewing deck in the heart of the terminal providing public access to airfield views and incorporating additional lounge space and exhibits.
    hopefully additional lounge space means more food/drink options vs just more places for chairs.

YYZ would be a very interesting add. I don't know if we have the ethnic population to support it though. AC does brisk business offering seamless US-YYZ/YVR-intl trips. It wouldn't be that long a flight either, just barely longer than OKC-DTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes but we obviously won't know exactly what until they near completion and announce who they leased space to.
    Would be nice to have at least one restaurant that's open after 6 PM!

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Once a week flights only work in very special circumstances. Frankly, such a service from OKC to anywhere in Europe is a non-starter. OKC has neither the tourist nor business traffic to Europe to support such a service.

You're joking right? Those two extra hours you spend connecting via DFW (for example) are the only reason you don't go to Europe more? I'm sorry but that makes literally zero sense. There are umpteen itineraries on multiple airlines that will connect you to Europe with a ~1 hour layover at DFW, ORD, ATL, etc - but somehow that adds up to 2-4 days?
    I have never had great experiences connecting in a TX airport, thus I avoid them. That leaves Chicago, Atlanta, and NYC. Chicago is a cluster and the three times I have connected through there were always 3 to 4 hour layovers, not counting the weather delays. I have never flown Delta internationally so I can't comment on what Atlanta is like. As for NYC there is no non-stop to EWR or JFK, thus you spend an entire day flying from OKC to NYC, then the flight to Europe.

Like I said, I would fly more often to Europe if we had our own non-stop service. If i can keep all costs but the flight to Europe itself in OK rather than another state I am all for that. Those flights between NYC and Europe are amazing, since I have family up in the northeast I have often stayed a few days with them before and after my international flight and the trip is more relaxing just driving to one airport and flying non-stop to Europe.

The 2-4 days is accounting the return trip as well, if everything goes smoothly, no weather delays or equipment issues, then you spend 2 days flying (their and back), but should weather or equipment fail it tacks on another day or 2 if you are unlucky.

Thread Information