Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 486 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 12136

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Thanks for taking and sharing the pics. I really do enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Thanks for taking and sharing the pics. I really do enjoy them.
    Agreed. It's exciting to see the progress of what's going on down the 'pike from us.

Thanks to everyone for the great pictures of the construction site. It's fun to watch this project come out of the ground. In seeing these pics, I got to thinking about how, in a relatively short period of time, this plot of land has seen lots of changes.

Prior to the April 1889 Land Run: a barren prairie.

Late April 1889:

In 1903 came the Overholser Opera House:

In the late 1920's, the opera house gave way to the Orpheum Theater:

And in the 1950's, finally, the Warner Theater:

After being cleared in the mid 1970's, the site has been used as we all have known it - a parking lot. But now that same land, lots first developed April 22, 1889, is being turned over once again:

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    10/14/09 3:00pm
    It's good to see it happen. (thanks to Doug for some of his pics)

More pictures from my office - IRS building, 4th floor:
    (About noon, 10-14-2009)

Looking West - at east garage and driveway down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20091014EastGarage.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	357

Where once a fountain

Name:	20091014FountainGone.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	358

Behind Colcord

Name:	20091014WestBhindColcd.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	359
    Last edited by Lauri101; 10-14-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added captions

5. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Video Update:

NewsOK

Steve, I didn't hear anything in your video, but any chance you asked Chip Minty if they will have a construction webcam, or even realize the importance of getting one?
    Oh, if only you knew how hard I've worked to try to make this happen.... if it doesn't, it won't be due to lack of effort on the behalf of myself or Dave Morris. Not so sure it will ....

of all the things to not have in the original budget, though I'm not sure just where you'd set the camera once they have a week or four going up ... maybe on the Colcord and pointed up

7. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Kevin, not going to get into details here, but it's not a cost issue.

Oh, ignore me Steve, I'm just whiney today.

In truth, if I put my mind to it, I'd likely on some very valid security issues that militate against the idea anyway.

Like I said, just whiney. I'm prone to also get that way on the Centennial Monument not being done, even though I struggle not to go too over the top about it.

9. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

If anyone has a highrise view of the site (like MadMonk) and is willing to let us set up a webcam, seriously, seriously, seriously, call me at 740-4139.

OH it's such a shame to see those old, beautiful buildings that used to stand there. And to be replaced by a damn parking lot - Such a crime.

Devon Tower will go a long way in correcting that horrible history. But still, can you imagine how brilliant the opera house or the theatre would look downtown today? Thank dog for Devon Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by ronronnie1 View Post
    OH it's such a shame to see those old, beautiful buildings that used to stand there. And to be replaced by a damn parking lot - Such a crime.

Devon Tower will go a long way in correcting that horrible history. But still, can you imagine how brilliant the opera house or the theatre would look downtown today? Thank dog for Devon Tower.
    Even had a song about it..."paved Paradise and put up a parking lot..."

12. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    Yeah, I think if they get 3 points they get an automatic +1 armor bonus to all energy attacks..
    ha! i thought so.

Will they eventually get to the west part of the parking garage? It looks like they've done 1/2 of it, but haven't touched the part closest to Hudson...??

14. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Damn! I'm agreeing with you again!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Damn! I'm agreeing with you again!
    Maybe someone should find a picture of what the lot turned into before they leveled it. I am sure the Warren Theater wasn't the architectural gem you see the 1950's photo by the time it was torn down. Even as cool as the front of the theater looked in the photo, did you notice the huge air conditioning duct work going up the side and on to the roof.

Looks like they are intending on bricking in the the windows on the parking garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Oh, if only you knew how hard I've worked to try to make this happen.... if it doesn't, it won't be due to lack of effort on the behalf of myself or Dave Morris. Not so sure it will ....
    Steve, so what is Devon's buggaboo's about not putting one up? Don't you owe it to your readers to get the news out, good or bad, even when high profile people refuse to talk on record about it. That's what makes a good story and gets stuff done and sells papers, IMO.

Example:

"Devon refuses to talk on record about possibility of construction webcam"

OKC, OK - Several attempts were made to contact Devon officials on the public's request to install construction webcams in downtown Oklahoma City to watch the construction of the new Devon Tower, the first major skyscraper built downtown in almost 3 decades. Devon officials showed hardly any interest or need for a construction webcam, requests for interview were denied.

I'd rather read that in the paper, than nothing at all.

OH it's such a shame to see those old, beautiful buildings that used to stand there. And to be replaced by a damn parking lot - Such a crime.......
    Remember, the site wasn't cleared for parking lots. The intent was to build the Galleria shopping mall, which would have occupied that space. When the mall didn't materialize, the slab for the mall was then used as parking.

metro, it sounds like they just haven't been able to find someone with a good vantage point that is willing to run a live webcam 24/7 -- hence Steve's request.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    metro, it sounds like they just haven't been able to find someone with a good vantage point that is willing to run a live webcam 24/7 -- hence Steve's request.
    They own the Colcord, from the pics Platemaker and others have been posting, looks like an excellent vantage point to me. I'm not buying that as the REAL excuse, Devon has enough clout, money and influence to make it happen.

A web cam cost $20. Cost is not the problem. Could there be a liability issue if something went wrong and the camera captured the incident?

If so, these people didn't get the legal memo.
    http://suttermedicalcentercastrovall...cam-goes-live/

Here is a better link - this is pretty cool. Check out the time-lapse feature.
    http://oxblue.com/pro/open/suttermedical/castrovalley

OKCTalk will gladly provide a high-quality webcam and pay for any other related expenses (like a dedicated PC) for anyone that has a good vantage point and is willing to set up and monitor the equipment.

Please contact me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    They own the Colcord, from the pics Platemaker and others have been posting, looks like an excellent vantage point to me.
    That is a little too close to be able to see the whole building going up with out having to move the camera several times. They need a place furher away that can see the entire building as it goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    That is a little too close to be able to see the whole building going up with out having to move the camera several times. They need a place furher away that can see the entire building as it goes up.
    I was thinking the same. A location from the west looking east. Possibly, the old Black Hotel (nw/c of Sheridan and Hudson), would provide a good vantage point -- far enough away to capture all of the tower superstructure, and also the work on the podium and garage.

Could anyone point me to pictures of the original model? I've found some on Doug's blog, but not of various angles - we are trying to figure out what is going on the West side of the West garage - looks to just be and adding more to the garage from all the pictures I've seen but as most pictures are of the Devon building itself, its hard to tell. A picture of the model from the NW would be helpful.

Thread Information