Widgets Magazine
Page 54 of 98 FirstFirst ... 44950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I understand how drought etc. negatively affects what makes it down to the lake from the catchment basin. What I am saying is that if two inches of rain fall on top of the lake itself, there should be roughly two inches more elevation added to the lake after such a rain. It's not like two inches of snow; two inches of rain should equal two inches of elevation whether it falls in a rain gauge or into a swimming pool...or into a lake. I'm trying to figure out what caused it to actually BACKSLIDE a month or two ago when I know rain was reported at the lake, and why it doesn't gain elevation at a similar rate to the reported precip.
    Not a hydrologist, but off the top of my head a couple of things come to mind: 1) Evaporation, and 2) Absorption. There are many areas of the lake that are dry; perhaps the two inches of rain that fall are quickly absorbed into the exposed soil in the lake basin?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Agricultural irrigation is the most, though oil extraction is up there. Another thing is farms/ranches have diverted what use to flow off there property to storage pools. At least at one point large cities were over drawing too, Ammerilo may still be since lake meridith always sounds like it is getting worse, I read somewhere the water levels were improving near Lubbock though.

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not a hydrologist, but off the top of my head a couple of things come to mind: 1) Evaporation, and 2) Absorption. There are many areas of the lake that are dry; perhaps the two inches of rain that fall are quickly absorbed into the exposed soil in the lake basin?
    That makes some sense. I do notice that it is actually gaining at a better rate commensurate to precipitation lately, which would bolster your theory, as the ground is now more moist.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    The N Canadian watershed is super narrow in that part of the state, I don't think its more than 30 miles wide in some areas.

The rapid depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer in NW OK means any groundwater gets sucked into replenishing that rather than feeding streams that would otherwise flow into the lake.
    This.... and also the fact that there are water sucking cedar trees all over the place up there. I have a friend who went into business around Ft Supply pulling them out of the ground with a tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Agricultural irrigation is the most, though oil extraction is up there. Another thing is farms/ranches have diverted what use to flow off there property to storage pools. At least at one point large cities were over drawing too, Ammerilo may still be since lake meridith always sounds like it is getting worse, I read somewhere the water levels were improving near Lubbock though.
    I do know that a lot of oil companies drilling in the Mississippian Play were using Salt Fork of AR and Canadian River water, but its becoming rarer. Some companies like Devon are starting to recycle water for drilling ops, but it isn't cheap.

The Ogallala is HUGE, stretching from about Lubbock into the SE corner of Wyoming. Most of the farming operations in the great plains tap into it, so it is extremely taxed. In NE New Mexico, where ironically the N Canadian originates, the aquifer is essentially tapped out. And given the slow drying out of the TX panhandle (like the sad state of Lake Meredith), the future is pretty cloudy. I'm really not sure what places like Amarillo are going to do, and it's more reason for OKC to diversify its water sources ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    That makes some sense. I do notice that it is actually gaining at a better rate commensurate to precipitation lately, which would bolster your theory, as the ground is now more moist.
    Also, something else of note. Since Canton Lake is not downriver from any sort of urban area with a lot of paved surfaces, any moisture will take some time in reaching the lake since it is absorbed into the ground. Whereas Lake Hefner, Arcadia, Stanley Draper, and other sources downriver from OKC, the rise in levels can be almost instant after a heavy rainstorm, with all the quick runoff from streets, buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    This.... and also the fact that there are water sucking cedar trees all over the place up there. I have a friend who went into business around Ft Supply pulling them out of the ground with a tractor.
    That is definitely a valid point...why we have so many cedar trees is beyond me. I know their seed spreads like wildfire but surely we could remove them from our recreational areas and replace them with trees that don't use so much water. Cost, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    That is definitely a valid point...why we have so many cedar trees is beyond me. I know their seed spreads like wildfire but surely we could remove them from our recreational areas and replace them with trees that don't use so much water. Cost, I know...
    Rumor has it the fastest way to get more cedar trees ... disturb a cedar tree. Second fastest ... don't disturb a cedar tree.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Rumor has it the fastest way to get more cedar trees ... disturb a cedar tree. Second fastest ... don't disturb a cedar tree.
    Doesn't sound like that's too much of a rumor as it is the golden rule...

To control the cedar problem we need more controlled burns.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I have disturbed probably hundreds of cedar trees.
    When killing a cedar tree in a pasture like setting I always made the cut just above the ground. I drilled a small hole and filled it with a very mild mixture of round-up.... It worked every time with zero re-sprouts.

Have looked for current Canton Lake water level but have found nothing. Anyone have a web site reference to the current water level?

The website that displays them is not currently loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    The website that displays them is not currently loading.
    Okay thank. Thought it was just me not loading lol.

I get the fishing report from the Department of Wildlife each week. With the fishing report most of the reports contain lake levels. Canton has been at 12 1/2' below normal for a few months according to this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I get the fishing report from the Department of Wildlife each week. With the fishing report most of the reports contain lake levels. Canton has been at 12 1/2' below normal for a few months according to this.
    That's better than the negative 21 feet I last saw...

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

with all of the rains Colorado has been having, I wonder if any of it will show up eventually at Canton in the form of run-off? That would be awesome, as would a heavy rain cell parking over the lake for a few days. It's only too bad the heavy flooding OKC experienced in May/June didn't move NW to Canton.

It is good to hear it 10 feet higher than beginning of summer so perhaps the CO floods is having an impact.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

No...Canton water comes from NE New Mexico.

I would say most of the runoff for the floods is going into the Platte or Arkansas River Basins.

The watershed for the Canadian doesn't go further north than NE New Mexico, but the floods could recharge the Ogallala Aquifer over the long run.

national weather service shows canton at 33%.
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/graphicast.php?site=oun&gc=6

All of the rain from pretty much Denver to the north have gone into the Platte which heads into Nebraska. The rains around Colorado Springs to the south go into the Arkansas.

Canton is at 1602.5, basically the same place it was May 1. It is not up 10 ft. Luckily, we have had a cool summer.

You should use the usgs.gov measurements or Corps of Engineer stats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanNMTXOK (2).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	4495
    Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I would say most of the runoff for the floods is going into the Platte or Arkansas River Basins.

The watershed for the Canadian doesn't go further north than NE New Mexico, but the floods could recharge the Ogallala Aquifer over the long run.

23. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

My mistake guys. I was excited by some of the posts and thought/hoped Canton was getting nourishment too.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

24. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

It will on Saturday.

Does anyone have the current water level status at Canton?

Thread Information