Widgets Magazine
Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 44950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2528

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I just flat don’t understand why some of you get so worked up about overpriced food at a spoke airport. It’s really not that hard to eat before you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I just flat don’t understand why some of you get so worked up about overpriced food at a spoke airport. It’s really not that hard to eat before you arrive.
    I’m not saying the food is good or cheap. I’m saying as long as there is a scheduled departure, there needs to be food options. I flat don’t understand why that is a terrible idea? With your logic there should be no food options in the airport since everyone has the amount of time you do to eat before getting to the airport.

Blog Entries

If that is the philosophy for the airport, great. But if it isn’t feasible for a private for profit operator to do it based on weak demand and passenger counts, then the airport should subsidize or operate it themselves. Don’t expect private business to operate at losses.

4. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I can see both sides here because in OKC, you're not captive so it does make sense to eat before you go. But having been on some of those super early flights, it would be a better to eat there. When you get to the airport at 5am, you're not looking to eat breakfast before you leave home. Since you're just gonna sit on your duff for an hour before you board, it's a good time to eat. Oh wait, nothing is open yet. Bummer.

Would i eat there when im coming IN to okc? Probably not though. So there really is only a limited pool of folks to get here. It's those departure fliers stuck after security and not ready to board yet. Since we dont have layovers here, that captive audience just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I agree with all of this. One airport that is similar in size as OKC although with fewer passengers per year (~2,000,000) is Manchester, NH (MHT). They have pre-security food options with Dunkin' Donuts and a local pub upstairs near security, and downstairs at baggage claim they have a freestanding kiosk-style Starbucks and a nice lounge/seating area where you can hang out with high top tables, vinyl bench seating and club chairs with ottomans with convenient electrical outlets. They also have an indoor observation area on the top floor that is accessible pre-security with a panoramic view of the apron and the main runway and wooden rocking chairs...pretty great. Overall they do a terrific job with these passenger and guest amenities. If they can do it, we can.
    I love flying through MHT. I have family about an hour north of Manchester and so I have used this airport numerous times. I love how quick and easy it is to get in and through the airport. I do feel their selection is better, but I am a DD fan, especially when it comes to air travel. If I must take an early morning flight, I will purposely choose a stop in STL or something closer to OKC just so I can have a better breakfast option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If that is the philosophy for the airport, great. But if it isn’t feasible for a private for profit operator to do it based on weak demand and passenger counts, then the airport should subsidize or operate it themselves. Don’t expect private business to operate at losses.
    Which I don't think we're arguing for... I think people are saying the airport might need to cover a cost to enable one form of sustenance to remain open. The companies have to bid on the service contracts, and opening is part of the contract, and I'm sure the airport could require anything it wants (at a price) in the contract.

I'm a guy that likes to get to the airport relatively early just to get through security. It's nice having food options once you're there to enable a relaxing time before leaving. Especially for the early flights, at least one option open would be great.

Don’t bid on work if you are going to provide sh-it service. They literally are handed a monopoly by Oklahoma City. The traveling public deserves consistent hours when departures are scheduled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Don’t bid on work if you are going to provide sh-it service. They literally are handed a monopoly by Oklahoma City. The traveling public deserves consistent hours when departures are scheduled.
    You are right, they shouldn’t bid if they knew the data. But to say it is a monopoly suggests there is some great value. I’ve asked if that value has been quantified objectively and professionally? Was real data shared pre-bid?

You are right, they shouldn’t bid if they knew the data. But to say it is a monopoly suggests there is some great value. I’ve asked if that value has been quantified objectively and professionally? Was real data shared pre-bid?
    I’m not sure what data is available. But DNC is obviously making enough to justify their existence. I believe they have been the sole food vendor for close to, if not longer than 2 decades.

10. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

The entire situation also perpetuates the stereotype of being a second rate city that closes down at (or before) sundown. It seems as a compromise, the requirement could be two restaurants must stay open until 10pm but one way or the other, the coffee shop, at bare minimum, should be open.

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The entire situation also perpetuates the stereotype of being a second rate city that closes down at (or before) sundown. It seems as a compromise, the requirement could be two restaurants must stay open until 10pm but one way or the other, the coffee shop, at bare minimum, should be open.
    And the coffee shop should be open early enough that people on the first flight out at 5:00 AM (I think) have the opportunity to get a cup of coffee. If you go search for it I've had a flight that left after 7:00 AM and the Coffee Bean STILL was not open.

Blog Entries

I’m not sure what data is available. But DNC is obviously making enough to justify their existence. I believe they have been the sole food vendor for close to, if not longer than 2 decades.
    Do we know the terms of their agreement vs what is offered new vendors? Having been there for that period of time, are they grandfathered into any favorable terms?

Do we know the terms of their agreement vs what is offered new vendors? Having been there for that period of time, are they grandfathered into any favorable terms?
    I can’t find the meeting, but it was approved March 2003. Every amendment (new lease, change of concepts, etc.) they extend the contract.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Who or where would be the place to go to officially lodge commentary so the airport folks know the feelings of airport users?

Who or where would be the place to go to officially lodge commentary so the airport folks know the feelings of airport users?
    Probably here: https://flyokc.com/airport-contacts

Josh Ryan (who works for the airport, not sure in exactly what capacity, though) is on here, and usually jumps into these discussions, shame he hasn't done that during this recent spate of posts, he'd probably have quite a bit of info about it all.

16. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I monitor the thread for this purpose. Karen and I have used information from it to directly address customer service issues in the airport. We usually have to do a bit of investigating before we contact our vendors.

The best information we get is from users who contact us directly and provide specific information about what they experienced. On this date/time/place, this is what happened. That information can be sent to wrwa@okc.gov and will be addressed by us directly or will be forwarded to the responsible party.

Unfortunately, much of what has been discussed recently has to do with operational matters that cannot be easily addressed here. Your suggestions and complaints are not going unheard though.

17. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Probably here: https://flyokc.com/airport-contacts

Josh Ryan (who works for the airport, not sure in exactly what capacity, though) is on here, and usually jumps into these discussions, shame he hasn't done that during this recent spate of posts, he'd probably have quite a bit of info about it all.
    I am the assistant public information & marketing coordinator. I work for Karen Carney.

18. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I can’t find the meeting, but it was approved March 2003. Every amendment (new lease, change of concepts, etc.) they extend the contract.
    Amended agreements happen when restaurants are changed, space is renovated, etc. These are not contract extensions. A contract extension is not planned for Delaware North. An RFP will go out before the end of their contract in April 2020. Like any other company, they will have an opportunity to submit a proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ryan View Post
    Amended agreements happen when restaurants are changed, space is renovated, etc. These are not contract extensions. A contract extension is not planned for Delaware North. An RFP will go out before the end of their contract in April 2020. Like any other company, they will have an opportunity to submit a proposal.
    Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find where the contract was renewed between 2003 and now. Surely it wasn’t a 17 year agreement?

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find where the contract was renewed between 2003 and now. Surely it wasn’t a 17 year agreement?
    It wasn't that long ago that airports were doing 30-year agreements with their concessionaires/retail contractors. Things have changed, but the agreements still have to be long enough for the companies to see a return on their investment. More recently, 10-year contracts seem to be the acceptable length. That can give them time to make the money back from restaurant build-outs and other changes they make to the airport's space.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ryan View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that airports were doing 30-year agreements with their concessionaires/retail contractors. Things have changed, but the agreements still have to be long enough for the companies to see a return on their investment. More recently, 10-year contracts seem to be the acceptable length. That can give them time to make the money back from restaurant build-outs and other changes they make to the airport's space.
    Thanks for the info. I meant more that 17 is an odd number.

What is going on with this flight?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...311Z/KOKC/KOKC

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I think we're pretty darn lucky to have both Catch and Josh on here providing information and feedback. I've learned so much from this thread alone.

24. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Maybe it got painted here and they're testing or even drying the paint job

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Looks like a maintenance test flight. AAR does heavy maintenance for Alaska. Maintenance/Non revenue flights for most carriers are usually 9000 series flight numbers.

Thread Information