Widgets Magazine
Page 52 of 96 FirstFirst ... 24748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2384

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: General Midtown Thread

So its not a wine bar then. Bummer

I am also hoping that the continued development encourages existing businesses to take a little more pride in their buildings. I am thinking specifically of the auto repair shop at the southwest corner of 10th and Harvey with its borded up windows. It really is an interesting building architecturally if it were fixed up a little. That is just one example of many. I think other people mentioned Brown's Bakery as another. I know these owers were there, just minding their own business and enjoying the low overhead of a rundown neighborhood. I can feel the pain and am not sure what the answer to this problem is. As to the vacant lots, I looked up the price of the vacant lot at 9th and Hudson and I believe they were asking somewhere around $700k. Really, how is that economically feasible for anyone to develop?

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I am also hoping that the continued development encourages existing businesses to take a little more pride in their buildings. I am thinking specifically of the auto repair shop at the southwest corner of 10th and Harvey with its borded up windows. It really is an interesting building architecturally if it were fixed up a little. That is just one example of many. I think other people mentioned Brown's Bakery as another. I know these owers were there, just minding their own business and enjoying the low overhead of a rundown neighborhood. I can feel the pain and am not sure what the answer to this problem is. As to the vacant lots, I looked up the price of the vacant lot at 9th and Hudson and I believe they were asking somewhere around $700k. Really, how is that economically feasible for anyone to develop?
    I've been looking at that auto repair shop too, hoping that someone will see its potential. The other building that I think could be cool is the building on the northwest corner of 10th and Hudson. It's a storage facility now, I think. But, it's got that big overhang and garage doors that could be glass garage doors. It would make a great location for a restaurant with a built-in covered patio.

I am still waiting for a hardware store. But I love hardware stores. I did notice that the for sale sign is gone in front of the old printing place at 11th? and Harvey. Not sure if that is sign of things to come or not.

I am still waiting for a hardware store. But I love hardware stores. I did notice that the for sale sign is gone in front of the old printing place at 11th? and Harvey. Not sure if that is sign of things to come or not.
    good printing is still in business and moving along ... they would/will sell the building for the right price ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are still tons of empty lots between the CBD and 13th.
    So true. The best part is that the configurations of the lots make it very hard to screw it up, unless someone did something crazy, like close streets and create super blocks. In a few years, the Mercy development will probably stick out like a behemoth as the lots to the east and southeast of the Plaza court fill in. It has so much potential to one day be OKC's true urban enclave. Even more so than Deep Deuce, imo.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=wschnitt;530326]What do people think will happen when all of midtown's vacant or abandoned buildings have been renovated? Will older buildings that are currently occupied be renovated or will new ones be built? That time is quickly approaching[/QUOTE

In a simplistic sense, when supply decreases in the face of rising demand, the land becomes more valuable. New projects are built, and typically will be built higher as the cost of land exceeds the cost of added height. If it becomes a more dense and preferable living neighborhood, we should start to see some mid or even high rise residential in a few years.

Midtown Renaissance to renovate OKC’s Mayfair apartment building
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 04:41 PM Tuesday, May 1, 2012

OKLAHOMA CITY – Developer Midtown Renaissance is gearing up to begin renovations on the historic Mayfair apartment building near NW 13th Street and N. Broadway Avenue.

Contractor Lingo Construction applied for a $1.5 million building permit in April to begin renovating the early 20th-century building into 18 apartment units, according to city records.

Midtown Renaissance purchased the building in April 2011 from United Way of Central Oklahoma for $550,000. The building once served as United Way’s headquarters.

Midtown Renaissance is also applying to have the building placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The four-story Mayfair at 1315 N Broadway Pl. was built in 1931 by attorney George E. Swisher and his son, architect George F. Swisher, who designed the building.

Part of the ground floor of the building was initially used as offices for both Swishers’ respective businesses.

The building was a haven for singles who wanted an apartment in a nice part of town, said Tulsa-based architectural historian Cathy Ambler, who prepared the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Mayfair building.

“There were a lot of single women and widows who lived there,” Ambler said. “It gave them a luxurious apartment with a good address that provided respectability.”

The majority of the building retained its use as apartments up until the 1980s, when the upper floors were vacated, according to Ambler’s research. United Way moved into the Mayfair in 1992, using the building as offices until 2009.

Attempts to reach Chris Fleming and Mickey Clagg, partners in Midtown Renaissance, were unsuccessful on Tuesday.

Pontiac sign going up at 1100 N. Broadway (photo courtesy Urban Pioneer):

love it

Building permit today for the new Saturn Grill going in next to Gogo Sushi (is this open yet??) at 1012 N. Walker.

They are taking 1,970 square feet.

Building permit today for the new Saturn Grill going in next to Gogo Sushi (is this open yet??) at 1012 N. Walker.

gogo looks very very close to opening i might stop by on the way home from work .. and ask

Can't wait!!! There are so many things on their menu I love.

So the space directly south?

Quote Originally Posted by wschnitt View Post
    So the space directly south?
    i believe the space to the east .. where he rehab facility is now

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i believe the space to the east .. where he rehab facility is now
    Actually, I believe Saturn is taking the space to the south. The rehab facility isn't going anywhere and is actually expanding. The tiny space directly to the east of it is also their space, and I saw them remodeling it a couple of weeks back.

There is a separate space directly south of Gogo sushi along Walker.

Not much parking back there but perhaps the plan is to expand it.

I took a walk around the building a few weeks back and it seemed to me the only place available to put a restaurant is to the south just as SoonerMike said. I believe the rehab facility recently put up some new signage so it is highly unlikely they would be moving out.

On another note, the Packard got a new sign today that is very similar to the Pontiac sign a block to the east. It would be great if someone could post a picture. I just love working in this area and seeing all of the progress going on around me. It seems like something changes every day.

Gogo now open.

On another note, the Packard got a new sign today that is very similar to the Pontiac sign a block to the east. It would be great if someone could post a picture. I just love working in this area and seeing all of the progress going on around me. It seems like something changes every day.
    From the Packard building thread...

Urban Pioneer sent this a couple of days ago and I'm just now getting around to posting it:

Scroll up to post #1288 for the Pontiac pic

I am looking forward to the Cline Hotel neon sign

They did a fantastic job with the remodel at GoGo. Food is good and inexpensive. Hope it succeeds.

Here are GoGo's hours:

Tuesday to Thursday
    11am - 9pm

Friday & Saturday
    11am - 10pm

Sunday
    11am - 9pm

Thread Information