Widgets Magazine
Page 52 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2021

Thread: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

Default Re: Boardwalk at Bricktown / Dream Hotel

The phase 1 towers are each built on top of several levels of parking.

If this pans out, and hopefully the first 3 towers are built.

I have always dreamed of living high off the ground but I don't want to live in a crowded city. I grew up in OKC but spent 30+ years in LA when I inherited my grandfather's real estate company. I would buy an apartment on the top floor or near the top floor if this does get built. I'll be first in line with my checkbook.

At this point we just wait on the phase 1 towers to start construction and see how close they are to the renderings.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    At this point we just wait on the phase 1 towers to start construction and see how close they are to the renderings.
    They keep saying the first phase will start this year, so that means lots of design submissions and building permits will have to be filed by this summer... So, we shall soon see.

Quote Originally Posted by btmec View Post
    I have always dreamed of living high off the ground but I don't want to live in a crowded city. I grew up in OKC but spent 30+ years in LA when I inherited my grandfather's real estate company. I would buy an apartment on the top floor or near the top floor if this does get built. I'll be first in line with my checkbook.
    You'd want to reach out to Matteson Capital now then...any shot of the huge tower getting built would rely on the demand for the units, so you should express that demand (and probably show some.proof as well).

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I appreciate the people that made the video and of course, many thanks to Pete for grabbing the screen shots.

I'm completely discounting the supertall. With respect to the other towers, my first interest as I've made clear is on the street and neighborhood interaction, but having said that, I confess to being mildly disappointed at the impact these apparently will have on the skyline from the west. (When I first saw the screenshot, I actually thought the shorter building to the left of the supertall was the Omni) Maybe it is the angle but I wasn't realizing quite the distance that they will be from the heart of the CBD. And if the arena is built there on the Cox site, unless a tall building is somehow integrated into it, it will continue to leave this dead space.

I would selfishly love to see what the skyline would look like from the due north with these "smaller" towers added (Broadway Extension near Wilshire/63rd) as that is the direction that I am seeing it 90 percent of the time at I'm home. I suspect it will look better from that angle due to the much shorter east-west distance between it and BancFirst from afar.
    I will acknowledge that I would rather see four 50-story towers as opposed to three thirty-story towers and this supertall tower. It would provide more breadth and balance to the skyline. That said, this is utter PR genius and it will be entertaining to see what gets built.

Has anyone posted a site plan for this? That lot just doesn't seem big enough to hold 4 sky scrappers. The U-haul is staying, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Has anyone posted a site plan for this? That lot just doesn't seem big enough to hold 4 sky scrappers. The U-haul is staying, right?
    Site plans have been shared before, but I can't remember how far back. Best suggestion is to just go back a number of pages.

https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...s-another-step

^ was an earlier version

So, the marketing side of this is working. We live in Brunswick Georgia which gives us the advantage of being a couple hours drive from Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine. So, we take advantage as much as we can with day trips to these places. Saturday we went to St. Augustine for the day. We stopped at a patio bar for a drink before dinner to listen to some live music. I'm wearing an OKC Thunder shirt and the bartender sees it and says, "Hey, what do you think about OKC getting the tallest building in the US?" I chuckled and said that I liked the idea but was more excited about the rest of the development since it was more likely to happen. He replies, "Man OKC sure is an amazing, modern city. It's really cool to see." I looked up at him expecting him to be messing with me, but he was dead serious. So, just a small example but damn if that didn't fill my Okie heart with pride.

Its plenty big for 4 towers. Could squeeze in a fifth in if they really wanted to and only wanted the lot full of towers.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieinGeorgia View Post
    So, the marketing side of this is working. We live in Brunswick Georgia which gives us the advantage of being a couple hours drive from Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine. So, we take advantage as much as we can with day trips to these places. Saturday we went to St. Augustine for the day. We stopped at a patio bar for a drink before dinner to listen to some live music. I'm wearing an OKC Thunder shirt and the bartender sees it and says, "Hey, what do you think about OKC getting the tallest building in the US?" I chuckled and said that I liked the idea but was more excited about the rest of the development since it was more likely to happen. He replies, "Man OKC sure is an amazing, modern city. It's really cool to see." I looked up at him expecting him to be messing with me, but he was dead serious. So, just a small example but damn if that didn't fill my Okie heart with pride.
    I love Brunswick., definitely had a “do their own thing” kinda vibe. Went to to this little brew pub bar right by the big bridge out there. And that sea turtle sanctuary up the road a bit was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I love Brunswick., definitely had a “do their own thing” kinda vibe. Went to to this little brew pub bar right by the big bridge out there. And that sea turtle sanctuary up the road a bit was pretty cool.
    Yeah, we're enjoying it so far. It's a small town so we're getting used to the HUGE step back we have taken in the food scene from OKC. While the seafood is obviously outstanding, we do have to travel a little to get other stuff. But, the wife gets to go to the beach everyday for her daily walk with the dogs, so that's a big win for the household. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c611f2532303b4c7ce12858038e2d5d3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	18591

Most critics over this project may not know Oklahoma City's history pertaining to skyscrapers. Remember the great skyscraper race of 1931....https://www.metrolibrary.org/archive...20oil%20deals.

Up until 1970 I believe the almost 500 ft tall First National Tower was the tallest west of the Misssissippi...correct me if I'm wrong.

Name:	OKC 1945.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	18592

And talk about density in the urban core prior to the Pei Plan....

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post

Yeah those are always fairly depressing to look at lol.

Name:	c611f2532303b4c7ce12858038e2d5d3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	18591

Most critics over this project may not know Oklahoma City's history pertaining to skyscrapers. Remember the great skyscraper race of 1931....https://www.metrolibrary.org/archive...20oil%20deals.

Up until 1970 I believe the almost 500 ft tall First National Tower was the tallest west of the Misssissippi...correct me if I'm wrong.
    Uh, make that the 4th tallest when completed....

That is definitely painful to see all that density bulldozed. How did someone ever make a conscious decision to knock down that church looking structure west of the Montgomery???

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That is definitely painful to see all that density bulldozed. How did someone ever make a conscious decision to knock down that church looking structure west of the Montgomery???
    That’s the old court house. It was neglected for years and then burned down if I remember correctly

I have looked for a long time of the old motor hotel that used to be on my lot. I had only seen one from when it was burning. (It is the capital E building in the middle of the bottom). Interesting to see the tall building on the corner of Reno and Walker that are now parking lots. Thanks for posting.

The PR is helping to highlight other great developments in OKC as well, which is pretty cool to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-31 083233.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	18593  

Quote Originally Posted by burksooner View Post
    The PR is helping to highlight other great developments in OKC as well, which is pretty cool to see.
    what is funny is the bottom pic is NOT from 2015 the edge was already built then ..

Even though this supertall is dubious, it has shined a light on OKC.

Just wait until the Olympic events are announced. Then we'll have the new arena in 5 years or so... You just can't buy that type of PR.

This breaks my heart to look at!

Thread Information