Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2066

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Likely a complete tear-down and rebuild of 3-5 level buildings with apartments and hotel rooms above and retail/restaurants at street level + lots of structured parking.
    Just to clarify, do you mean a complete (all of campus corner) or do you mean 3-5 buildings tear out with replacement of apartments, retail and hotel rooms with the restaurants and retail.

Ho hum, another $1 billion project coming to metro OKC...

As I stated earlier, we are getting ready to be in the middle of the biggest building boom this metro area has ever seen.
    Massive win for OU as this removes the liability from having to build their own and can further direct more donor money to other projects that are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Just to clarify, do you mean a complete (all of campus corner) or do you mean 3-5 buildings tear out with replacement of apartments, retail and hotel rooms with the restaurants and retail.
    Virtually all of what we know of Campus Corner would go.

We have a thread on this:
    https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43116

Ho hum, another $1 billion project coming to metro OKC...

As I stated earlier, we are getting ready to be in the middle of the biggest building boom this metro area has ever seen.
    It really is incredible to see! From the Olympics, OAK, Chisholm Creek, Boardwalk at Bricktown, The Half, new arena, OKANA and this (probably missing some) it really is a sight to behold. And of course, all of the other smaller projects happening all over town count too. The amount of construction happening now and to come is mind blowing. And to hear this project has everything squared away is the cherry on top of the sundae. Good times are ahead, and I will look forward to tracking the progress of this and other projects on here.

Keep going OKC!

I will never a support an arena that is not on campus and think it’s a huge mistake. Downtown Norman would be a fine alternative but not by I-35. But I’m also not paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I will never a support an arena that is not on campus and think it’s a huge mistake. Downtown Norman would be a fine alternative but not by I-35. But I’m also not paying for it.
    Word, +1

lol

The only realistic options are continuing to play in a non-renovated LNC or brand new arena at North Park paid for by mostly private funds.

I agree that a new on-campus arena is the most ideal - but it's not going to happen unless mega donors step up...which they won't because football is also making $100MM asks for new facilities. And football is king.

They have been trying to raise money for basketball for a long time and have to face the facts it's not going to happen.

This is by far the best alternative.

I hated it at first, but now I'm fully on board.

It's the only way a new basketball facility can be built within the next two decades and LNC was antiquated 20 years ago. OU has two new talented and ambitious basketball coaches and they need help.

I've been to USC's purpose-built Galen Center and it's awesome; so much better than the 1970s bowl arenas of the past. I'm sure this will be very similar and be a huge improvement.

OU is trying to do a bunch of big things all at once due to the SEC move, so this takes a big piece off of their plate so they can concentrate on everything else. There is much more coming.
    The major difference being the Galen Center is directly across the street from USC's campus.

The plan was set to be announced this morning at 8. Has anyone heard anything from the meeting? Details or renderings?

Press release from this morning's event:

More:

Team Norman Lays Out Billion-Dollar Plan for New Entertainment District

NORMAN – Sept. 6, 2023 – A broad and diverse coalition of Norman leaders have unveiled plans for a billion-dollar development that includes a venue for major entertainment and sporting events as well as retail shops, restaurants, bars, offices, a hotel and housing for thousands.

The Norman Economic Development Coalition (NEDC) has joined with the University of Oklahoma, the City of Norman, Cleveland County, the Norman Chamber, VisitNorman and the Norman business community to create a proposal that could transform the city. The coalition will work on this proposal in a collaborative fashion with local governmental leaders through the normal approval process.

“It is rare to have such a collaborative effort to produce a master plan, combining resources and assets to create a unique mixed-use development unlike any in Oklahoma – or the nation, for that matter,” said NEDC President Lawrence McKinney. “Once developed, this entertainment district will be a focal point for all of Central Oklahoma.”

In today’s announcement, officials outlined the comprehensive development that is planned at Rock Creek Road and 24th Ave. NW. McKinney was joined by University of Oklahoma President Joseph Harroz Jr., Norman Mayor Larry Heikkila, Cleveland County Commissioner Rod Cleveland, Norman Chamber President Scott Martin, and VisitNorman President Dan Schemm.

The proposed development will include a multi-purpose performance venue designed to host many different types of events from concerts and shows to OU basketball games and women’s gymnastics competitions. Adjacent to the performance venue will be an outdoor plaza and a burgeoning, job-creating entertainment district with everything necessary to ensure a premium entertainment experience.

Harroz said the district is exactly what Norman has needed for a long time, and it is exciting for the university to be the district’s first anchor tenant.

“OU is proud to be a part of this broad coalition of leaders who are coming together to help grow the Norman economy and provide new opportunities for local residents,” said Harroz. “This new district will be the perfect complement to Campus Corner and historic Downtown Norman. These enhancements will elevate our community’s unique entertainment options and improve the quality of life for residents of Norman and the broader region.”

To ensure a successful mixed-use development, the plan features a strong focus on density, diversity and walkability through multi-family and single-family housing, allowing thousands of residents to live within walking distance of shopping, entertainment, social gatherings and jobs.

Norman Mayor Heikkila called the entertainment district a pivotal development in Norman’s continuing effort toward economic growth and quality of life.

“Our citizens have made it clear that quality of life is important to them, and in fact, quality of life is essential for any healthy community, so we are delighted at the prospect of creating a new district that will build on the great assets we already have in Norman,” he said.

With respect to Norman’s role as the world leader in weather research and prediction, the proposed development plan also includes the potential development of a weather museum experience, bringing the exciting world of weather to thousands of visitors annually. In addition, the proposal includes potential airport access from the west side of Max Westheimer Airport, pending the outcome of an ongoing feasibility study.

Approximately 80% of the plan’s $1 billion cost would be paid through private investment. The remaining 20% would be paid through public sources. None of the funds would come from the city or county general funds.

Cleveland County Commissioner Rod Cleveland called the project a positive step forward for Norman.

“I am incredibly excited about the proposed entertainment district. The collaboration and commitment between the private and public sectors is unprecedented and is the catalyst for our future,” Cleveland said.

Norman is well known for innovation and bold ideas, and this development is another recipe for success, said Norman Chamber President Martin.
    “This mixed-use entertainment district will be one of a kind in Oklahoma, and it will further elevate our reputation as the place to live, work, and play,” he said. “The proposed development is also located next to the state’s most visited shopping district and will further enhance economic development and job creation in Norman.”

This proposed development is an opportunity for Norman to continue its long legacy as home to the University of Oklahoma and a showpiece for our state, said VisitNorman President Schemm.

“As OU enters the Southeastern Conference, VisitNorman is committed to ensuring that the welcome mat is out for visiting teams and their fans,” he said. “This is a top-notch development offering all the ingredients for a fun and inviting experience our guests will remember for years to come.”

I wonder how many acres of the development will end up just being parking lots in an area that is already mostly parking lot. I guess they could build on the parking lots and add garages later but jeez it always breaks my heart when we get these billion dollar projects and we get pretty shi**y urban design.

I am keeping my hopes up that they will be smart with the new thunder arena and add a new transit center as part of the stadium.

15. Default Re: University Town Center

I learned from all that, that the OU Foundation already owns all that land.

^The area is basically surrounded by interstate, industrial and car dealership lots, and big box suburban retail. There is basically nothing to walk to other than the facilities within its own boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I learned from all that, that the OU Foundation already owns all that land.
    They own everything under UTC and a good deal of the development profits go back to OU.

It's been a financial windfall for the university.

The school also owns a ton of land around Loyd Noble and the area that is home to the National Weather Center, as well as a ton of very underutilized property south of the dorm towers. As Norman continues to boom, that growth will be a major revenue source for the university. Increasingly, the pitiful state funding is a smaller and smaller percentage of OU's budget.

18. Default Re: University Town Center

If Nextdoor in Norman is any indication then if this goes to a vote of Norman it won't pass. People already not wanting to foot the bill for this as they were promised all kinds of things from Ed Noble Parkway to the original UNP TIF and Lindsey Street.

I assume it has to go to some vote of Norman but will be interesting to see.

Ok, help me out here: "Approximately 80% of the plan’s $1 billion cost would be paid through private investment. The remaining 20% would be paid through public sources. None of the funds would come from the city or county general funds."

Public sources, what are the other options? Maybe I am too used to MAPS funds to understand this...

Because Norman was gaslighted on the Ed Noble Parkway potential and the UNP being a upscale destination I am skeptical of this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Ok, help me out here: "Approximately 80% of the plan’s $1 billion cost would be paid through private investment. The remaining 20% would be paid through public sources. None of the funds would come from the city or county general funds."

Public sources, what are the other options? Maybe I am too used to MAPS funds to understand this...
    TIF and sales tax rebates, most likely.

Pete - Are these renderings updated or the same as 2018?

OU claims to not have the funds for building on campus yet for decades LNC has lost concerts to multiple venues in the metro and the football stadium has had 2 or 3 concerts the last 30 years. Maybe if the venues they have were being utilized they would have the funds.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post

TIF is not money from general funds

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    If Nextdoor in Norman is any indication then if this goes to a vote of Norman it won't pass. People already not wanting to foot the bill for this as they were promised all kinds of things from Ed Noble Parkway to the original UNP TIF and Lindsey Street.

I assume it has to go to some vote of Norman but will be interesting to see.
    i don't think this will require any public vote

Thread Information