Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2528

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I think for a non-hub airport we have a good selection of vendors. Hours and staffing could use some improvement, I agree with that.

The one area where I think we could improve is having a nice food option for everyone in the unsecure side of the airport. We frequently travel and have friends or family drop us off, or we will drop of friends and family that is returning home from visiting us. We will make it to the airport pretty early to make sure there are no issues with checking luggage, last minute change, long TSA lines, etc. When I’m flying by myself I’ll just go through security and call it good and hang out airside. But with family I might not see again for a year or more it’s often nice to spend that last hour hanging out and visiting for the long goodbyes before separating to go through TSA. There really aren’t any good “social” spots or food options for situations like that.

So I really really hope that with the new visitor platform we might see some sort of casual sit-down food option. Between plane spotters, people waiting and seeing people off, and groups saying their last goodbyes, it feels like there should be some demand for a service like that.

2. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I think for a non-hub airport we have a good selection of vendors. Hours and staffing could use some improvement, I agree with that.

The one area where I think we could improve is having a nice food option for everyone in the unsecure side of the airport. We frequently travel and have friends or family drop us off, or we will drop of friends and family that is returning home from visiting us. We will make it to the airport pretty early to make sure there are no issues with checking luggage, last minute change, long TSA lines, etc. When I’m flying by myself I’ll just go through security and call it good and hang out airside. But with family I might not see again for a year or more it’s often nice to spend that last hour hanging out and visiting for the long goodbyes before separating to go through TSA. There really aren’t any good “social” spots or food options for situations like that.

So I really really hope that with the new visitor platform we might see some sort of casual sit-down food option. Between plane spotters, people waiting and seeing people off, and groups saying their last goodbyes, it feels like there should be some demand for a service like that.
    I agree with all of this. One airport that is similar in size as OKC although with fewer passengers per year (~2,000,000) is Manchester, NH (MHT). They have pre-security food options with Dunkin' Donuts and a local pub upstairs near security, and downstairs at baggage claim they have a freestanding kiosk-style Starbucks and a nice lounge/seating area where you can hang out with high top tables, vinyl bench seating and club chairs with ottomans with convenient electrical outlets. They also have an indoor observation area on the top floor that is accessible pre-security with a panoramic view of the apron and the main runway and wooden rocking chairs...pretty great. Overall they do a terrific job with these passenger and guest amenities. If they can do it, we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I agree with all of this. One airport that is similar in size as OKC although with fewer passengers per year (~2,000,000) is Manchester, NH (MHT). They have pre-security food options with Dunkin' Donuts and a local pub upstairs near security, and downstairs at baggage claim they have a freestanding kiosk-style Starbucks and a nice lounge/seating area where you can hang out with high top tables, vinyl bench seating and club chairs with ottomans with convenient electrical outlets. They also have an indoor observation area on the top floor that is accessible pre-security with a panoramic view of the apron and the main runway and wooden rocking chairs...pretty great. Overall they do a terrific job with these passenger and guest amenities. If they can do it, we can.
    I love flying through MHT. I have family about an hour north of Manchester and so I have used this airport numerous times. I love how quick and easy it is to get in and through the airport. I do feel their selection is better, but I am a DD fan, especially when it comes to air travel. If I must take an early morning flight, I will purposely choose a stop in STL or something closer to OKC just so I can have a better breakfast option.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post

Absolutely this.

^^^^^^^
    Agree the hours of operation need serious extending. If just the coffee place was open......

Blog Entries

IMO two places I would never seek out for food options: Hospitals & Airports. The food is usually overpriced and bland.

Now, it would be nice if you had some options like local teputable food restaurants & fast food. Hours of operation would favor a fast food establishment that could avail itself 24/7.

I was on a Frontier flight from MCO [to OKC] a couple weeks back. The flight would continue on to San Diego after the stopover in OKC. I'd say about 40 percent of the passengers were going to continue on to SAN. We landed about 30 minutes early, right at 8:20 PM, so the flight attendants let the SAN passengers know they could get off the plane to get food and stretch their legs. About two minutes later, another announcement was made that no restaurants were open but they could still get off the plane to use the restroom. This resulted in a lot of moans and groans and what I would assume a negative view on OKC as to why there is nothing open at 8:00 in the evening.

On another note, It's crazy to me that Coffee Bean can leave out bottles of water and other things for sale out in the open when they're closed. Try doing this in LGA, BOS, LAS, or any other large airport and all that product would be gone the next day!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I was on a Frontier flight from MCO [to OKC] a couple weeks back. The flight would continue on to San Diego after the stopover in OKC. I'd say about 40 percent of the passengers were going to continue on to SAN. We landed about 30 minutes early, right at 8:20 PM, so the flight attendants let the SAN passengers know they could get off the plane to get food and stretch their legs. About two minutes later, another announcement was made that no restaurants were open but they could still get off the plane to use the restroom. This resulted in a lot of moans and groans and what I would assume a negative view on OKC as to why there is nothing open at 8:00 in the evening.

On another note, It's crazy to me that Coffee Bean can leave out bottles of water and other things for sale out in the open when they're closed. Try doing this in LGA, BOS, LAS, or any other large airport and all that product would be gone the next day!
    Recall early 2000s many of my relatives (Texas, California) were awed that you could go to a service station like OKC 7-Elevens gas up then pay. Now all that has changed . . .

Agree, WRWA needs to address the food situation at the airport; this doesn't bode well for a market of our size.

Blog Entries

Just curious what the passenger count is after 8:00pm and what the estimated customer count would be for a restaurant.

I would think either the airport or the OKC CofC has done a demand study. Maybe Catch22 can let us know and if one has been done, where we can see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    just curious what the passenger count is after 8:00pm and what the estimated customer count would be for a restaurant.

I would think either the airport or the okc cofc has done a demand study. Maybe catch22 can let us know and if one has been done, where we can see the results.
    get out of here with your numbers and logic on how to run a business i want 5 star restaurants open 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Just curious what the passenger count is after 8:00pm and what the estimated customer count would be for a restaurant.

I would think either the airport or the OKC CofC has done a demand study. Maybe Catch22 can let us know and if one has been done, where we can see the results.
    Handful of departures around 8. I think Alaska to SEA at 8, American to DFW 820. (Right now) Frontier to San Diego at 9:20.

That’s about 200-300 people. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the contract with the concessionaire (DNC) is to have at least 1 restaurant open until the final departure. So it strikes me odd that they do not keep at least one place open until 9:00 or so for the frontier flight.

I don’t think anyone needs a five star restaurant to be open 24/7 in the airport. I do think *something* needs to be open until the last flight.

@gopokes you can be “free market” all you want, but since this is 1) a monopoly sponsored by the airport 2) a service provided to a captive traveling public, more care should be given to make sure there are dining options until the last flight leaves.

I just flat don’t understand why some of you get so worked up about overpriced food at a spoke airport. It’s really not that hard to eat before you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I just flat don’t understand why some of you get so worked up about overpriced food at a spoke airport. It’s really not that hard to eat before you arrive.
    I’m not saying the food is good or cheap. I’m saying as long as there is a scheduled departure, there needs to be food options. I flat don’t understand why that is a terrible idea? With your logic there should be no food options in the airport since everyone has the amount of time you do to eat before getting to the airport.

Blog Entries

If that is the philosophy for the airport, great. But if it isn’t feasible for a private for profit operator to do it based on weak demand and passenger counts, then the airport should subsidize or operate it themselves. Don’t expect private business to operate at losses.

If that is the philosophy for the airport, great. But if it isn’t feasible for a private for profit operator to do it based on weak demand and passenger counts, then the airport should subsidize or operate it themselves. Don’t expect private business to operate at losses.
    Which I don't think we're arguing for... I think people are saying the airport might need to cover a cost to enable one form of sustenance to remain open. The companies have to bid on the service contracts, and opening is part of the contract, and I'm sure the airport could require anything it wants (at a price) in the contract.

I'm a guy that likes to get to the airport relatively early just to get through security. It's nice having food options once you're there to enable a relaxing time before leaving. Especially for the early flights, at least one option open would be great.

Don’t bid on work if you are going to provide sh-it service. They literally are handed a monopoly by Oklahoma City. The traveling public deserves consistent hours when departures are scheduled.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Don’t bid on work if you are going to provide sh-it service. They literally are handed a monopoly by Oklahoma City. The traveling public deserves consistent hours when departures are scheduled.
    You are right, they shouldn’t bid if they knew the data. But to say it is a monopoly suggests there is some great value. I’ve asked if that value has been quantified objectively and professionally? Was real data shared pre-bid?

You are right, they shouldn’t bid if they knew the data. But to say it is a monopoly suggests there is some great value. I’ve asked if that value has been quantified objectively and professionally? Was real data shared pre-bid?
    I’m not sure what data is available. But DNC is obviously making enough to justify their existence. I believe they have been the sole food vendor for close to, if not longer than 2 decades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I’m not sure what data is available. But DNC is obviously making enough to justify their existence. I believe they have been the sole food vendor for close to, if not longer than 2 decades.
    Do we know the terms of their agreement vs what is offered new vendors? Having been there for that period of time, are they grandfathered into any favorable terms?

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I can see both sides here because in OKC, you're not captive so it does make sense to eat before you go. But having been on some of those super early flights, it would be a better to eat there. When you get to the airport at 5am, you're not looking to eat breakfast before you leave home. Since you're just gonna sit on your duff for an hour before you board, it's a good time to eat. Oh wait, nothing is open yet. Bummer.

Would i eat there when im coming IN to okc? Probably not though. So there really is only a limited pool of folks to get here. It's those departure fliers stuck after security and not ready to board yet. Since we dont have layovers here, that captive audience just isn't there.

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

The entire situation also perpetuates the stereotype of being a second rate city that closes down at (or before) sundown. It seems as a compromise, the requirement could be two restaurants must stay open until 10pm but one way or the other, the coffee shop, at bare minimum, should be open.

22. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The entire situation also perpetuates the stereotype of being a second rate city that closes down at (or before) sundown. It seems as a compromise, the requirement could be two restaurants must stay open until 10pm but one way or the other, the coffee shop, at bare minimum, should be open.
    And the coffee shop should be open early enough that people on the first flight out at 5:00 AM (I think) have the opportunity to get a cup of coffee. If you go search for it I've had a flight that left after 7:00 AM and the Coffee Bean STILL was not open.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Who or where would be the place to go to officially lodge commentary so the airport folks know the feelings of airport users?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Who or where would be the place to go to officially lodge commentary so the airport folks know the feelings of airport users?
    Probably here: https://flyokc.com/airport-contacts

Josh Ryan (who works for the airport, not sure in exactly what capacity, though) is on here, and usually jumps into these discussions, shame he hasn't done that during this recent spate of posts, he'd probably have quite a bit of info about it all.

25. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Probably here: https://flyokc.com/airport-contacts

Josh Ryan (who works for the airport, not sure in exactly what capacity, though) is on here, and usually jumps into these discussions, shame he hasn't done that during this recent spate of posts, he'd probably have quite a bit of info about it all.
    I am the assistant public information & marketing coordinator. I work for Karen Carney.

Thread Information