Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Average usage > average recharge = problem
    Now that it seems that the drought is over in OKC we should be fine. City lakes are getting all this water today and should be over their banks again. It looks like Canton is getting a bunch of help also. Good news for the middle of July.
    So what happens when Hefner starts to go dry again, or are you thinking that it won't?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

The sky will fall and we'll all be doomed.

nah, the sky will stay put. Mid might need an extra recycle bin once he starts bringing in water jugs to sprinkle across the lawn.

So what happens when Hefner starts to go dry again, or are you thinking that it won't?
    Probably the same thing that happened this time around. . . people will panic(at least a few on here might, I never once heard anyone I know panic to me about the lake) and it will start to dry up and rain will come, fill her back up. . . the process starts all over again.

People talk all the time about the weather but no-one seems to do anything about it. You may quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    People talk all the time about the weather but no-one seems to do anything about it. You may quote me on that.
    Okay Mark... or should I call you Charles????

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Probably the same thing that happened this time around. . . people will panic(at least a few on here might, I never once heard anyone I know panic to me about the lake) and it will start to dry up and rain will come, fill her back up. . . the process starts all over again.
    Depending on when 'next time' is there might not be a lake upstream to draw from though.

Depending on when 'next time' is there might not be a lake upstream to draw from though.
    The weather constantly changes and there is always the possibility of a major long-term drought. I'm pretty sure the people overseeing these things, know about that. From what I've heard, there are huge projects that are underway and they will be addressing OKC's water needs for years to come.

Thats why the City hasn't put all of its eggs in one basket...

The weather constantly changes and there is always the possibility of a major long-term drought. I'm pretty sure the people overseeing these things, know about that. From what I've heard, there are huge projects that are underway and they will be addressing OKC's water needs for years to come.
    Yep. We are going to drain Lake Dallas next...LOL

Yep, but what if, merely a what if mind you, the accuracy of those glorious plans are made for OKC with the same amazing degree of accuracy as the projections on Project 180, or sidewalk widths and total miles for X dollars, or on-time projections or on-budget project projections that OKC is oh so famous for.

</snark>

And there might be a lake then or we might have a new pipeline then. Or maybe we can put water in a truck as someone suggested and fill up lake Hefner with it.

(that last thing, I hope you realize is not a serious suggestion, but it does fall pretty well in line with how seriously anyone really thinks we're in danger of any adverse effects from drought at this point save an inconvenient watering schedule which my control box can't seem to figure out)

The area up stream of Canton lake is getting some great rain tonight.
    Not a bad deal in what is normally the hottest and driest time of the year.

13. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Granted it will take a few days for a lot of that water to get in, if it makes it, but Canton Lake did come up a bit - roughly 1% point.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Granted it will take a few days for a lot of that water to get in, if it makes it, but Canton Lake did come up a bit - roughly 1% point.

Too bad the storm that dumped on OKC yesterday/night didn"t sit over Canton for a while.

15. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

ya, honest - I have been hoping that storms would sit over Canton and W Oklahoma. With Central and Eastern getting more than enough, it would be so awesome if we could get things up in the NW/SW. Here are prayers!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Too bad the storm that dumped on OKC yesterday/night didn"t sit over Canton for a while.
    Yeah looks like it is still sitting at around 20.5% full now a few days after the heavy rain. Maybe we need a pipeline from Hefner back to Canton to drain the overflow?

52105 on 12/25

24793 on 2/21 (-52.4%)

30931 on 04/10 (+24.8%/-40.6%)

34140 on 06/04 (+10.4%/+37.7%/-34.5%)

33653 on 08/01 (-1.4%/+8.8%/+35.7%/-35.4%)

So unless there was a big fish kill in February, it doesn't look like that will happen this summer unless Canton loses more than 30% of it's volume to evaporation over the next month and a half of Oklahoma's summer.

Photos of Canton Lake taken on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 (after recent rains):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5742-Edit.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	4252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5787-Edit-2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	4253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5713-Edit.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	4254

Quote Originally Posted by mdeand View Post
    Photos of Canton Lake taken on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 (after recent rains):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5742-Edit.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	4252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5787-Edit-2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	4253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC5713-Edit.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	660.7 KB 
ID:	4254
    If your point is that the lake isn't full, that's hardly news. The lake level has absolutely been rising. It's about 2 1/2 feet higher than the lowest level in February and hasn't been experiencing the normal mid-summer lowering by evaporation.

More rain on the eastern Colorado plains tonight, looks to be headed that way. Hopefully it will stay together for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If your point is that the lake isn't full, that's hardly news. The lake level has absolutely been rising. It's about 2 1/2 feet higher than the lowest level in February and hasn't been experiencing the normal mid-summer lowering by evaporation.
    Hey, thanks for the warm and fuzzy reply.

Hey, thanks for the warm and fuzzy reply.
    I have no idea what you expected. It is what it is and those kind of pictures change nothing. Did you think everyone was just going to pat you on the back and say "what a shame"? The lake has problems for sure but its's not nearly as bad now as some were predicting earlier (dropping 5 feet further).

Sir, if my photographs offend you in some way, that was not my intent. I offered the photographs to simply give readers a current view of conditions there, for what that is worth, after coincidentally being in the area this week. I make no argument for or against anything. Or whether it's getting better or not. I'm glad to hear the lake level is rising some, as you say. If I'm in the area in future months and can photograph the same area for comparison, then I'll do that too.

As for what I expected? Well, frankly, not to be talked to so rudely by someone with whom I've never communicated before.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I have no idea what you expected. It is what it is and those kind of pictures change nothing. Did you think everyone was just going to pat you on the back and say "what a shame"? The lake has problems for sure but its's not nearly as bad now as some were predicting earlier (dropping 5 feet further).
    Sir, if my photographs offend you in some way, that was not my intent. I offered the photographs to simply give readers a current view of conditions there, for what that is worth, after coincidentally being in the area this week. I make no argument for or against anything. Or whether it's getting better or not. I'm glad to hear the lake level is rising some, as you say. If I'm in the area in future months and can photograph the same area for comparison, then I'll do that too.

As for what I expected? Well, frankly, not to be talked to so rudely by someone with whom I've never communicated before.

Your photographs didn't offend me at all. I was just stating my opinion. If what I said appeared rude to you, you are much too easily offended. It was not rude at all to say I didn't think your pictures were an accurate depiction. It was obviously staged to present the worst possible picture. If you are going to be offended by someone who disagrees with you this is not where you need to be posting. As I have said before, I'm not insensitive to problems at the lake, I just don't like those who try to present things in the worst possible light to make whatever point they are trying to make.

Thread Information