Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1758

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    I'll admit SS would be cool for okc because of the name, but other than that I do not see the appeal. Was super hyped to try it and when in Manila I finally had the chance, man, the hype vanished instantly. Not good at all.
    The grass is always greener. There is people outside of OK/KS/TX/AR that swear by Braums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    On the general topic of "local", but speaking for myself, when I think "local" I'm really thinking unique. Not necessarily single location, but specific to OKC or OK. And if its larger than OK then something that started here and spread out from there. This is more a perception thing than a financial thing. I don't generally care about the investors in this regard. ...
    This is pretty much our take too - we (generally) eat at places that are either only in OKC or OK or started here and franchised/opened more locations elsewhere. We eat at a lot of places that are owned by these restaurant groups - Good Egg, 84 Hospitality, The Social Order, Happy Plate, Humankind, Chris Lowe, Stranger/Johnson. As well as taco trucks, Taqueria El Rey, random cafes, etc.

Having said that, we'll probably try every restaurant opening up here at least once.

3. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, my apologies, I was not responding to you directly but this subject in general.

I don't know about Flips but do no the group that owns The Wedge has a bunch of investors.
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

4. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    On the general topic of "local", but speaking for myself, when I think "local" I'm really thinking unique. Not necessarily single location, but specific to OKC or OK. And if its larger than OK then something that started here and spread out from there. This is more a perception thing than a financial thing. I don't generally care about the investors in this regard. So, The Jones Assembly I would consider "local". Fuzzy's I would not despite being the same group behind them.

Essentially, its the rule of cool. Its "cool" to have a nice place, a tasty place, a fun place that I can go to and brag about and take people from out of town to. If its in other places its "cool" to know that it came from here and maybe I can visit the OG. The more places we have like that the "cooler" OKC and OK are. Who the investors are or where the money flows to doesn't really come into it at this level of consideration (although of course that is important at its own level; don't want to diminish that) and I expect a lot or most people who talk about "local" or thinking more in line with what I described.

And, for fairness, "cool" doesn't have to be "local". I don't think anyone would call the Gordon Ramsay spot in Chisholm Creek "local" in any way, but it is still "cool" in the way that we're one of only four locations. And of course its good to have new national retailers and restaurants coming in as well, but I think the "cool" has to be here first.
    This is the exact sentiment I share. I was going to explain but you did it perfectly for me! Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I know he also had no problem running Crescent Market out in order to make sure Whole Foods didn't have to endure what little competition Crescent might have been.
    Wasn’t Crescent having real problems making money?

6. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    I'll admit SS would be cool for okc because of the name, but other than that I do not see the appeal. Was super hyped to try it and when in Manila I finally had the chance, man, the hype vanished instantly. Not good at all.
    Aww that’s a shame that you had a bad experience! I went in London and Dallas and was blown away by the quality and service. I want it for the name and for the food haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I never heard that. They were in a true niche where they were. And I don't doubt having to move woulda been a killer for a small, local business. But I never heard ownership say it was a good time to get out when they got squeezed. Or they were glad it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    yes it was going to close either way ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Aww that’s a shame that you had a bad experience! I went in London and Dallas and was blown away by the quality and service. I want it for the name and for the food haha
    Spark is very similar to SS

I am not happy about the height reduction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Theu guy who wants 26 stack highways is mad about a couple floors coming off a building that won't be full for years? Color me shocked. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Theu guy who wants 26 stack highways is mad about a couple floors coming off a building that won't be full for years? Color me shocked. Lol
    Not a huge deal but I do like taller buildings and I was hoping they’d stick to the rendering. This will still obviously be a very nice development no doubt.

Not a huge deal but I do like taller buildings and I was hoping they’d stick to the rendering. This will still obviously be a very nice development no doubt.
    I wasn't bashing you. Just giving you a hard time.

Blog Entries

And they probalby weren't happy with the extra cost and the prospects of space staying vacant for quite some time. Demand for office space isn't exactly screaming.

Hadn't seen The Oak project in person until the other day. Wow! Incredible development. I wish I owned property around there. This will be a huge step forward for Oklahoma City.

In the last photo you can see the bricks going up on the hotel:

Any idea when work is going to begin on the gallery and grill along the expressway? Would think they'd want to be completed by the time the hotel and condos are open for business.

Quote Originally Posted by LRSooner View Post
    Any idea when work is going to begin on the gallery and grill along the expressway? Would think they'd want to be completed by the time the hotel and condos are open for business.
    Very soon.

Permits have been filed.

19. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

just imagine if Belle Isle Lake were still there (or rebuilt) instead of beingn reduced to a pond and that monstrocity of parking/strip;, where high-end shoppes, housing, and a boardwalk would line the lakeside. That'd be world class tie to the rest of the upscale area.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    just imagine if Belle Isle Lake were still there (or rebuilt) instead of beingn reduced to a pond and that monstrocity of parking/strip;, where high-end shoppes, housing, and a boardwalk would line the lakeside. That'd be world class tie to the rest of the upscale area.
    I drove from Whole Foods to 50 Penn today and thought this same thing. That area could have been so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    It would be even cooler than the OAK complex.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	18398  

22. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

OAK's Instagram dropped a hint about Italian food. Wonder if that implies Eataly or some other big name place... If it were a lesser known restaurant I feel like they wouldn't rise suspense with a hint lol

OAK's Instagram dropped a hint about Italian food. Wonder if that implies Eataly or some other big name place... If it were a lesser known restaurant I feel like they wouldn't rise suspense with a hint lol
    If they announced EATALY this early, I would lose my SH!T....

All they are asking if for people's favorite.

I know they have a bunch of things in the works and an Italian restaurant is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All they are asking if for people's favorite.

I know they have a bunch of things in the works and an Italian restaurant is not one of them.
    To be fair, EATALY is several italian restaurants and a market... At least that is what I keep telling myself...

Thread Information