Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 486 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Does anyone know how the building will be connected to the Underground?

Nichols had said this was a priority.

Default Devon Groundbreaking Pics

I attended this morning's groundbreaking and it was a short but sweet show, over in about 15 minutes.

I'm not sure how to insert images, so you can see a few on my site here.

See if you can find the pic of our resident "Steve" interviewing Jon Pickard.

4. Default Re: Devon Groundbreaking Pics

Someone already beat you to the new official thread for Devon.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...struction.html

Default Re: Devon Groundbreaking Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Well, Thunder, what made you think he was trying to start the new "Official" thread for Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Does anyone know how the building will be connected to the Underground?

Nichols had said this was a priority.
    I'd imagine the TIFF money would be used for that. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they either tunnel under the district courthouse (which would be way expensive) or they'd connect a new tunnel to the existing tunnel running between the courthouse and Liberty Tower. Might as well connect the Oklahoma Tower and the Library while they're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'd imagine the TIFF money would be used for that. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they either tunnel under the district courthouse (which would be way expensive) or they'd connect a new tunnel to the existing tunnel running between the courthouse and Liberty Tower. Might as well connect the Oklahoma Tower and the Library while they're at it.
    It has been said that the tower would be connected to the tunnel system. However, it will be connected via skywalk to Oklahoma Tower or Corporate Tower. Larry says that he wants to get away from the below ground system and bring people to the street level. That is why he wants to use TIFF money to improve the street scape so that it is cleaner and more pedestrian friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Well, Thunder, what made you think he was trying to start the new "Official" thread for Devon.
    Now that's what I love about message boards, or rather some of the people on message boards... they have ALL of the answers. I could care less about "official" threads that run 49+ pages long. I attended the groundbreaking, I took some pics and I wrote it up for folks to see. That's what I do.

Maybe others on here will comment on the substance of the pics/story and what a great event this is for OKC. Thanks.

9. Default Re: Devon Groundbreaking Pics

I look like more of a slob in that photo than usual. Of course, my hero is the great sportswriter Oscar Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohn9 View Post
    Now that's what I love about message boards, or rather some of the people on message boards... they have ALL of the answers. I could care less about "official" threads that run 49+ pages long. I attended the groundbreaking, I took some pics and I wrote it up for folks to see. That's what I do.

Maybe others on here will comment on the substance of the pics/story and what a great event this is for OKC. Thanks.
    Why don't you change the name of this thread to the "Official Devon Groundbreaking Pics", then the world would be right. Oh, I almost forgot. The pictures were very nice.

11. Default Re: Devon Groundbreaking Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

yup, they had to close the official thread someone started yesterday about the construction(http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...er-thread.html) so they could have the official official thread start today.
    apparently yesterdays thread wasnt good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Might as well connect the Oklahoma Tower and the Library while they're at it.
    Would be nice but unfortunately the library does not have any public access in the basement - not sure if the courthouse does either (plus the security issues).

Yay!!! Please doG don't let them chop it down anymore! Hope it stays 850'!

14. Default Re: Devon Groundbreaking Pics

Quote Originally Posted by bjohn9 View Post
    I attended this morning's groundbreaking and it was a short but sweet show, over in about 15 minutes.

I'm not sure how to insert images, so you can see a few on my site here.

See if you can find the pic of our resident "Steve" interviewing Jon Pickard.
    I see in the 1st pic at your website a rendering of the tower. Did you get a close enough look to see which of the renderings we've already see that it is like, or is it different that both? Did you get any hi-res photos?

BTW, to embed an image here, just put its literal web address, complete with file name, between a pair of [img][/img] opening and closing codes.

Nice if it does, but it'll still be a stomping big addition to DT even if somehow it should lose 150+ in height. Big day for OKC irrespective of the final height tag

Fantastic! I am pumped, I will have to detour to downtown everytime we come to OKC so I can snap pics.

Another great thing about this building is that it will fill in the skyline view from I-44 near the airport. Right now there's a big gap between the clump of buildings (Cityplace, 1st National, and rectangular modern) and Chase (Liberty). I know I got upset when they shortened it, but honestly I'm so happy for OKc and its skyline.

18. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Hopefully, when the economy can recover some and some credit is available, some of the other projects on the drawing boards can start to take off. This will get us some attention.

19. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

What about the pedestrian bridge to be built vertically from the Devon Tower? When will that start? I think it is the one with the bird design. Devon have any involvement with that project, too?

20. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

If you mean the Skydance Bridge (modeled after the scissor tail flycatcher) which will be built along what would be Harvey (if memory serves) to cross the realigned I-40, that was a decision made by the city earlier and is unrelated to the Devon project. I don't know when it is supposed to start but it is supposed to be completed, I think, around the same time that the I-40 realignment is done.

21. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Yeah, let's not confuse the Skydance with a skybridge. Doug points out how the Skydance is completely unrelated.

I'm somewhat dissapointed that they would have that view on the underground though. That influx of people that the tower could bring to that end would make a big difference. One problem is that it would be very expensive to tunnel downtown. There are so many lines underground that would have to be moved...whew. So from that side, it's far easier to go the pedestrian street-level route. Even if it's not as exciting.

But if it were to happen, the library wouldn't neccessarily need access from the basement. Take a cue from Liberty Tower (or whatever the damn cowboy calls it now), and put the access outside in the plaza.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I know people have asked but I haven't seen a response to if there is going to be a webcam or not?

I'm sure someone will put one up once the tower starts rising from the ground.

Even if it's unofficial, there are plenty of vantage points from surrounding buildings and I bet we'll see multiple cameras before long.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    Would be nice but unfortunately the library does not have any public access in the basement - not sure if the courthouse does either (plus the security issues).
    The courthouse kind of does. The underground lets out in the county building which is connected to the courthouse. You still have to go through security though.

Larry says that he wants to get away from the below ground system and bring people to the street level.
    This is good. We need people on the streets to give it more energy and make it more exciting, as well as give retailers more exposure. I don't mind the underground in theory, but our downtown is too small and has too few people in it to basically have two levels of services (street and underground). Hopefully one day we can fill both with traffic, but right now it just makes downtown seem like a ghost town compared to most business districts and city centers.

Thread Information