Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455100 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 3721

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I think it's definitely one of those assets that we like to use the term "game changer" around here for. Having a massive public space like this will do so many wonders for the health of the city and will help promote living in downtown. It won't be long before OKC will start seeing some dense projects around this area.

The Gathering Place in Tulsa will also be a ridiculously superb public park that many around here think can hail in a new perception for the city.
    Have there been any plans for residential fronting the park?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Have there been any plans for residential fronting the park?
    I'm not sure off the top of my head if anything has been seriously planned yet. The Strawberry Fields thread is a litte vague on details but I think that's one of the larger conceptual ideas floating around.

For me, the biggest thing will be connecting the CBD and downtown with the River.

Really no easy way to get from one to the other right now, apart from the far east end where the canal terminates.

Will really help connect the river and downtown in terms of recreation, especially biking.

The site does have a history of auto repair use which has contaminated the site. The City is working with DEQ and EPA on their remedial strategy but this project is absolutely, definitely being pushed forward on that front; it is just something that takes time since it will be a public space. Everyone involved wants to make sure that visitors will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by hookertime View Post
    The site does have a history of auto repair use which has contaminated the site. The City is working with DEQ and EPA on their remedial strategy but this project is absolutely, definitely being pushed forward on that front; it is just something that takes time since it will be a public space. Everyone involved wants to make sure that visitors will be safe.
    Thanks for the info and welcome to the site!

O’Connor: Housing near downtown OKC park key to diversity

By: Cathy O'Connor Guest Columnist October 18, 2016

The Core to Shore development and MAPS 3 projects have great synergy – when we combine a park and convention center with carefully planned private development, Oklahoma City will have unique spaces that will set us apart from other cities. It’s an incredible opportunity and important that we get it right.

Oklahoma City is now positioned to collaborate with private development around the park to create a balanced mix of retail, green space, housing, commercial development and recreation. We have established six new tax increment financing districts in the Core to Shore area with distinct guidelines to create a particular emphasis in each area.

The area that intrigues me most is the west side of the 70-acre park, an area we expect to see the most residential development.

Without planning and thoughtful zoning and requirements, we could end up with only high-end housing around the signature park due to density and property values. That doesn’t support the variety we need for a vibrant downtown. We want rich diversity of people – families and singles, a spectrum of ages, diversity of income and interests. We also want developers with different visions and different styles of architecture.

The Alliance for Economic Development has worked with the city of Oklahoma City to set stricter development and density guidelines for developers requesting public incentives to perform at a higher level in the Core to Shore area. One option could be additional incentives to develop housing that is affordable for working families. We are looking at other tools that could lead to a range of housing options: reserved land, a housing trust fund to use public resources for diverse housing or inclusionary zoning to ensure that a percentage of residential units are set aside for households in certain income brackets.

Private developers have responded positively to our vision and are acquiring land for development in the area. We estimate there will be $2.5 billion to $5.5 billion in private investment in Core to Shore over the next 35 years.

It’s critical to get the development mix right, and the residential component is key. We are working to ensure that housing development in Core to Shore benefits a variety of people in Oklahoma City, creates the lifestyle that represents what people in our city want and need and leads to our continued growth and quality of life.

OKC Central Park
    by lazio85, on Flickr

Foundation to run 70-acre MAPS 3 park

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record November 10, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – A new nonprofit foundation will oversee the management and operations of the MAPS 3 park now under development in the southwest corner of downtown.

City Council members approved the creation of the foundation headed by local businessman Jim Tolbert this week. The $132 million park will be owned by the city and leased to the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust while the foundation uses the same key executives and administrative personnel as the Myriad Gardens Foundation for running it.

The park will require the same level of management, marketing and programming as the Myriad Gardens to reduce operational costs and increase the park’s value as a community and economic asset, Tolbert said. It is being built under the third Metropolitan Area Projects temporary tax issue, or MAPS 3, along with projects such as the new convention center, Oklahoma River improvements, walking trails and senior wellness centers. Tolbert said one of the first tasks will be deciding on a park name.

Due to the foundation’s close relationship with the operations of the Myriad Botanical Gardens, the group is also uniquely qualified to provide consulting services during the design and construction phases of the park, officials said. City Council members approved a $75,000 consultation fee.

Leslie Batchelor, an attorney with the Center for Economic Development Law, said the conservancy blueprint to engage public and private investment is similar to what’s used for Discovery Green in Houston, Texas, and Bryant Park in New York. Batchelor has been helping the Myriad Gardens Foundation craft a new legal structure to allow the two parks to be managed separately but still benefit from some synergistic savings and programming.

“The private entity won’t be as restricted as the city is in terms of being able to purchase refreshments to sell to park visitors or seek sponsorships,” she said. “By allowing a private charity to do that, they can be a little more entrepreneurial, a little more flexible.

“Surprisingly, there are ways that parks are made more public and more accessible through private management than the city could do on its own,” she said.

Myriad Gardens Foundation’s Maureen Heffernan said it doesn’t make sense for the two parks to compete for events and visitors, given their proximity to each other. The new park is generally bounded by S. Robinson Avenue, S. Hudson Avenue, SW Third Street and the river, just a few blocks away from the Myriad Gardens and its signature Crystal Bridge.

The section of the park north of I-40 is scheduled for completion in 2018, with the south section to be finished in 2021. The full park will be 70 acres, about five times the size of the Myriad Gardens. They will attract different events, Heffernan said.

Tolbert is owner of Full Circle Bookstore. He has served in executive positions in several public companies as well as being an investor and developer of Bricktown.

New article out by Steve about the future name of the park.
    http://www.oklahoman.com/login?refer...o_redirect=yes

Union Park is a great name.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Union Park is a great name.
    It is and I believe it was hatched here.

I like both of those ideas from the article. Union Park would be a good choice, but Skydance Park has so much life to it and I think I prefer it of the two. Makes me think of being outdoors and active.

Blog Entries

all my votes to "Union Park"

There is a stars and stripes park in north okc.
    Maybe this more southern located park should be called the stars and bars park.

<ducks the onslaught of exploding brain matter>

I thought it was Union Commons that was hatched here?

Blog Entries

Oh yeah... you are correct

I like the ode to Union Station. Afterall, it was there first. They can call the the connecting path Skydance Pathway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It is and I believe it was hatched here.
    I am here to take all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I like both of those ideas from the article. Union Park would be a good choice, but Skydance Park has so much life to it and I think I prefer it of the two. Makes me think of being outdoors and active.
    I like Skydance Park as well.

Union Park! Better sounding imho, plus Skydance Park sounds a little hokey to me

The Union Commons at Oklahoma City Park brought to you by the Skydance Bridge.

Skydance park is far more unique and memorable.
    I've noticed that many posters on here when it comes to discussions similar to these, they want the safe and common sounding name. I can only assume this it to try and replicate what larger cities have. But "Skydance Park" that's connected to the South by a bridge called the same resembling a scissor tail fly catcher is what is truly unique and what will make people remember why its named what it is.

"Union Park" sounds like something in NYC or Chicago.
    We shouldn't be afraid to try something different and be bold.

Then again, to some maybe Skydance park sounds clunky.

Union park and having the union station building there also ties together the same way Skydance Park and the Bridge connect. I like Union park as its simple and I think a park name should be uncomplicated. Skydance bridge will still be the connection between north and south and its name more purposeful. I like the name skydance because it has a native American feel and is perfect for the bridge.

Personally, I'd be in favor of the upper park being Union Park and the lower park being Skydance Park.

Though I'm with Geographer, The Union Commons at Oklahoma City Park on the OKC Boulevard brought to you by the Skydance Bridge presented by Devon Energy™ does have a certain ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Personally, I'd be in favor of the upper park being Union Park and the lower park being Skydance Park.

Though I'm with Geographer, The Union Commons at Oklahoma City Park on the OKC Boulevard brought to you by the Skydance Bridge presented by Devon Energy™ does have a certain ring to it...
    This reminds me of some old threads on the Continental Airlines FlyerTalk forums, when we all used to joke that CO would merge with UA and Greyhound to form ConUniHound

Thread Information