Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455100 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Really? Even if a special election?
    The data I have read contrasts Presidential election year results with those of mid term elections. The data is based on national data of the voting electorate. I have not seen anything that would study such a small data base as a special election. I am making the leap that a special election would find a ho hum attitude among many voters. When was the last special that was a state wide election?

From the AG's office: https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=24659

OKLAHOMA CITY – Attorney General Scott Pruitt on Thursday submitted the ballot title for State Question 788, a measure that would legalize the use of medical marijuana in Oklahoma.

“I commend the attorneys in my office for their diligent work to complete this ballot title in an efficient manner. While my office has done its part by preparing the ballot title well before the September 1 deadline, there are still steps remaining in order for the question to be placed on a ballot,” Attorney General Pruitt said.

“We are dealing with processes established in both federal and state election law for initiatives proposed by the people that require specific procedures to be followed. Even with expedited efforts of both the Secretary of State’s office to count the signatures and my office to write the ballot title, the state is running up against deadlines imposed by this process. It’s important for the people of Oklahoma to know, regardless of the substance of the state question, the signatures were not submitted with enough time to allow this process to be played out completely.”

After the Attorney General's Office submits the substitute ballot title to the Secretary of State, it must be published and opponents must have ten business days to object to the ballot title based on the validity or number of signatures or a challenge to the ballot title. Pursuant to 34 O.S. § 12, the governor cannot issue the proclamation placing the initiative petition on the ballot until the timeline for objections and protests has passed.

To view a copy of the submitted ballot title, click here.
    And for the rewritten title:

BALLOT TITLE FOR STATE QUESTION NO. 788

This measure legalizes the licensed use, sale, and growth of
    marijuana in Oklahoma. There are no qualifying medical
    conditions identified. Possession and use of marijuana is
    authorized through a medical marijuana license that is valid for
    two years, rather than by prescription. An Oklahoma board
    certified physician must recommend the license using the same
    accepted standards for recommending other medications, and must
    sign the application for the license. The State Department of
    Health must issue a license to an applicant who:

• submits a valid application,
    • is eighteen years or older, and
    • is an Oklahoma resident.

Applications for individuals under eighteen must be signed by two
    physicians and by a parent or legal guardian. The Department also
    issues seller, grower, packaging, transportation, research, and
    caregiver licenses to those who meet certain minimal requirements.
    A 7 percent state tax is imposed on retail sales of marijuana.
    Unlicensed possession by an individual who claims to have a
    medical condition is punishable by a fine not exceeding $400.

Local government cannot use zoning laws to prevent the opening
    of a retail marijuana store. This measure does not change federal
    law, which makes use, sale, and growth of marijuana illegal.

And the original title, for comparison purposes: https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/788.pdf

This measure amends the Oklahoma State Statutes. A yes vote legalizes the licensed use, sale, and growth of marijuana in Oklahoma for medicinal purposes. A license is required for use and possession of marijuana for medicinal purposes and must be approved by an Oklahoma Board Certified Physician. The State Department of Health will issue medical marijuana licenses if the application is eighteen years of older an Oklahoma resident. A special exception will be granted to an applicant under the age of eighteen, however these applications must be signed by two physicians and a parent or legal guardian. The Department will also issue seller, grower, packaging, transportation, research and caregiver licenses. Individual and retail businesses must meet minimal requirements to be licensed to sell marijuana to licensees. The punishment for unlicensed possession of permitted amounts of marijuana for individuals who can state a medical condition is a fine not exceeding four hundred dollars. Fees and zoning restrictions are established. A seven percent state tax is imposed on medical marijuana sales.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The fix is in.
    Kinda what I am thinking also. It's so Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    PP,
    Hacking and "editing" are two totally different things. Any system can be hacked, but you cannot legitimately edit CBS, however you can legitimately edit Wikipedia (I am not familiar with the approval process, but I'm sure it's probably pretty good). My point is, there are better sources for serious conversation than Wikipedia. I go to Wiki often for a lot of things and I appreciate their efforts to provide that information.
    C. T.
    Hacking and editing are two different things, but I believe my point still remains valid.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    And the original title, for comparison purposes: https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/788.pdf
    This is great. Now it just needs to pass. Which probably won't happen. Fingers crossed it does though!

The single defense I can make of Wikipedia is they try to be good about requiring citations. While things can be up or edited for a short time, most stuff that's regularly read will get edited and require citations.
    Jerrywall,
    I can't argue with your comment. My original comment was that there are better sources, nothing more, nothing less.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hacking and editing are two different things, but I believe my point still remains valid.
    PP,
    I think I will just give up. We will have to agree to disagree.
    C. T.

Jerrywall,
    I can't argue with your comment. My original comment was that there are better sources, nothing more, nothing less.
    C. T.
    I don't disagree. That's why my comment was qualified.

PP,
    I think I will just give up. We will have to agree to disagree.
    C. T.
    No worries man!

Well Pruitt killed it, as predicted. Running out the clock. No wonder EVERY DAY some young person in my FB feed is moving the hell out of this state.

Well Pruitt killed it, as predicted. Running out the clock. No wonder EVERY DAY some young person in my FB feed is moving the hell out of this state.
    I'd move back in a heart beat if I were able. If their main asperation for moving out of state is for recreational weed, they won't go very far in life unless they plan on owning a dispensary. Most serious jobs won't let you come to work high all of the time. Which is a stiff reality for everyone moving to Colorado for legal weed. They find out they can't afford it after they get fired from 2 jobs for being high all the time. Your income potential is limited to McDonald's and 7/11.

How did he kill it? By prioritizing the requested renaming and getting it done before the deadline? This is seriously crossing into "if he walked on water folks would accuse him of not being able to swim" territory. Even Dorman has said they turned in the petitions very, very, very, close to the deadline, knowing the risk, because they needed the time to get the signatures.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I'd move back in a heart beat if I were able. If their main asperation for moving out of state is for recreational weed, they won't go very far in life unless they plan on owning a dispensary. Most serious jobs won't let you come to work high all of the time. Which is a stiff reality for everyone moving to Colorado for legal weed. They find out they can't afford it after they get fired from 2 jobs for being high all the time. Your income potential is limited to McDonald's and 7/11.
    Love your posts, catch 22.

However, McDonald's & 7/11 have standards. OKC 7/11s (which are the original 7/11s--not apart of the national chain) not only screen, but do drug test their prospective employees.

https://ok7-eleven.com/about/history/

I asked my wife, who is an HR manager for a local company which has locations in places where recreational use is legalized, how they deal with it. Response? If it's illegal federally, and comes up on a drug test, you're fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Love your posts, catch 22.

However, McDonald's & 7/11 have standards. OKC 7/11s (which are the original 7/11s--not apart of the national chain) not only screen, but do drug test their prospective employees.

https://ok7-eleven.com/about/history/
    Semi unrelated story...

A lifetime ago when I was a McDonald's manager, I had an employee who was worthless unless he was "medicated". When he came in, and I could tell he wasn't, I would send him out to the dumpster area to smoke.

Forgive me if I simply do not believe there is some mass exodus of people from Oklahoma merely on the basis of their inability to get weed. C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Forgive me if I simply do not believe there is some mass exodus of people from Oklahoma merely on the basis of their inability to get weed. C'mon.
    Dontcha know? There's a mass exodus from Oklahoma happening, we'll never compare to Tulsa, much less Charlotte, OSU is taking over the riverboat district, and no businesses will ever come here unless we totally change our liquor laws. I've been on okctalk long enough to learn all that.

19. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

I've been lurking on this thread long enough.. so just to add my two cents worth.. This will be a long uphill battle to get cannabis legalized for medical use in this state as long as a Republican is in office. This doesn't surprise me that Gov. Fallon is backpedaling from a statement she made earlier this year that she would look into the possibility of medical MJ being legal here. Real sad as there are countless studies verifying that proper medical uses can alleviate a multitude of health issues. On our broader scale.. nationwide, I think the path towards overall decriminalization of MJ will be more clear cut IF Hilary Clinton is elected.. which to this day, I still believe will happen. If however, Donald Trump should be elected; That road will have far more potholes to traverse through and in fact, I anticipate he will enforce the federal statues against MJ. Trump however may ease up on the medicinal uses.. maybe. It wouldn't surprise me though that he retracts the recreational use that several states have already voted on. Time will tell how this all turns out. If the fed's can just decriminalize it nationwide, that alone will help in the serious overcrowding of our jails.. especially in Oklahoma, where places like the Oklahoma County jail is bursting at the seams.

How is she backpedaling, out of curiosity?

How did he kill it? By prioritizing the requested renaming and getting it done before the deadline? This is seriously crossing into "if he walked on water folks would accuse him of not being able to swim" territory. Even Dorman has said they turned in the petitions very, very, very, close to the deadline, knowing the risk, because they needed the time to get the signatures.
    The bottom line is the petitions were turned in before the deadline. That is really the bottom line. They have a deadline and these were there before the deadline. Anything they say after that is just noise and excuses. Key word "Deadline"

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    The bottom line is the petitions were turned in before the deadline. That is really the bottom line. They have a deadline and these were there before the deadline. Anything they say after that is just noise and excuses. Key word "Deadline"
    Deadline for the petition turn in. Even Dorman has publicly stated they "pushed it" against the process time that the constitution requires (such as the 10 day objection period). As you quoted and ignored. If they move as quick as possible, as they are evidently trying, then there is a one day gap. Not impossible, but unlikely. This was a failure of the organizers. And this preemtive excuse building is no different than Trumps "the election is rigged" preemtive moves.

The main question I would have at this point is how hard and justifiable the deadline of today is for the ballot printing. The date itself isn't something I can see as being targetted at this state question considering it was set back on May 13th, though I am a little curious about how the petition start and stop dates were set and by who.

24. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

How is she backpedaling, out of curiosity?
    In honesty jerrywall, it's what I've been reading from various sources, perhaps some of which may be questionable. I do my best to keep informed from all sources. Also, I do have friends who personally know Gov. Fallon, a couple of which having this discussion with, has said she has been on the fence concerning the medical MJ issue and recently has been pressured to keep it illegal altogether. I know the majority of the state senators and congress people who are Republican have sided with keeping the current laws as is, sighting that medical evidence is lacking to personally vote for it. I guess, I need to do more research myself to see where some of our elected officials stand on this issue.. really though, it makes no big difference to me as I don't partake in doing this, chiefly because it's illegal. What my biggest concerns are; people who just recreationally use it.. get arrested and thrown into an overcrowded jail. I personally don't see the big deal and I would vote for full legalization but strictly regulated.. Harder drugs, like heroin, cocaine, meth, etc.. and mainly those who peddle that crap.. should have the book thrown at them.
    Last edited by Rocky in your Radio; 08-26-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Deadline for the petition turn in. Even Dorman has publicly stated they "pushed it" against the process time that the constitution requires (such as the 10 day objection period). As you quoted and ignored. If they move as quick as possible, as they are evidently trying, then there is a one day gap. Not impossible, but unlikely. This was a failure of the organizers. And this preemtive excuse building is no different than Trumps "the election is rigged" preemtive moves.
    Then they need to change the deadline. When one submits before a deadline they should not have to worry about said object being late. This is why we have deadlines. If they can't get things done then they need to change the deadline to allow for more time.

Thread Information