Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

1. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

2. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Not surprising since this bill would have allowed cities to decide for themselves. The legislature has shown in the past they don't want cities to decide things for themselves. Joint Resolution 24 which would make a statewide law is still alive so far.

Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

This literally might be the worst legislative session in Oklahoma history.

Like many other things in this state, a petition and public vote may be the best way to change the law.

Gee, it's not like Oklahoma has tobacco fields in the state.

Wow, it wasn't even close. Only two committee members even voted for it. So basically it will be years and years before anything changes.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Wow, it wasn't even close. Only two committee members even voted for it. So basically it will be years and years before anything changes.
    Not necessarily. The bill that was defeated in committee was not the smoking ban bill. It was one that would have allowed city by city smoking laws. SJR24, the smoking ban bill, is alive and well.

The Oklahoma legislature constantly has me scratching my head. I could see the State banning laws that weren't as strict as state laws, but banning laws that are more strict? That doesn't even make sense. The way things are going in Oklahoma we might as well just eliminate City charters altogether, or roll them up into a branch of the State government. I guess it is just a sign of how much the legislature has sold themselves out to business interest. For me, when given the choice between private profit and public quality of life, I'll choose public quality of life.

Also, I would be 100% in support of ban on patio smoking. I like eating outside and there is nothing I hate more than eating and have some group come sit at the table next me and light up a bunch of cigarettes. It is getting to the point that I might start making a scene about it.

Surely some eating places open to the public have no smoking patios. That's how conservatives apparently want it. Let businesses decide how they want to handle smoking, or get rid of it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Surely some eating places open to the public have no smoking patios. That's how conservatives apparently want it. Let businesses decide how they want to handle smoking, or get rid of it entirely.
    Unless the smoker wants smoke inside the Cone of Smoke, it effects everyone around them. There are laws against me urinating on the people next to me, but urine is sterile.

It seems insane so many businesses still allow smoking on their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This literally might be the worst legislative session in Oklahoma history.

Like many other things in this state, a petition and public vote may be the best way to change the law.
    Wait, we're upset now that they didn't pass a bill that wouldn't hold up to a lawsuit and would likely be ruled unconstitutional? Everyone gets upset for the state passing laws which then get overturned, and complain about wasting time and resources, unless they support them I guess. There's a good chance this law would have been the same. I'm anti-smoking, but Oklahoma's constitution is set up where the cities don't have the level of control that folks seem to think. Anti-smoking laws, minimum wages, etc, are powers that seem to be reserved to the state.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Wait, we're upset now that they didn't pass a bill that wouldn't hold up to a lawsuit and would likely be ruled unconstitutional? Everyone gets upset for the state passing laws which then get overturned, and complain about wasting time and resources, unless they support them I guess. There's a good chance this law would have been the same. I'm anti-smoking, but Oklahoma's constitution is set up where the cities don't have the level of control that folks seem to think. Anti-smoking laws, minimum wages, etc, are powers that seem to be reserved to the state.
    Huh? Why would the State pass a law that says a City can't have a stricter law than the State if doing so was unconstitutional anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Huh? Why would the State pass a law that says a City can't have a stricter law than the State if doing so was unconstitutional anyhow?
    Shrug. Not sure I can explain the state's motives either. You'd have to ask Robert S. Kerr III.

It seems to me the Oklahoma politicians were upset about Federal overlords, because they want to be the overlords, and a population can only have one overlord at a time. I still believe that government that is closest to the people governs best, which is why I am ready for the return of City-States.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    It seems insane so many businesses still allow smoking on their premises.
    Name one bar in okc that's opened recently that allows smoking indoors. Most allow it on the patio in open air, which doesn't really bother that much. The free market is taking care of this for us.

Can anyone recommend a sports bar, not chili's or applebee's, on Memorial where you can't smoke inside?

17. Default Re: Oklahoma smoking laws set to change

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Can anyone recommend a sports bar, not chili's or applebee's, on Memorial where you can't smoke inside?
    Not really such a thing a non-smoking real sports bar on Memorial. The closet thing would be Pub W, Twin Peaks and Baker Street.

I also love how smokers on patios don't hold their cigarettes close to them or their party, they know and think its disgusting so they hold it out as far as possible behind them not caring about the surrounding people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Shrug. Not sure I can explain the state's motives either. You'd have to ask Robert S. Kerr III.
    Here's a dirty little secret some of you probably already know, but most people in Oklahoma don't. The tobacco lobby views Oklahoma as a playground. They send their lobbyists to Oklahoma (12 of them at last count) and have them try to kill any anti-smoking regulation before it even get heard by committee. Nine times out of ten, they're successful. A couple of the tobacco industry lobbyists have personally told me they view Oklahoma as a vacation because it's so easy to do their job here. We currently have an anti-tobacco governor, but the only way we will be able to get stricter tobacco laws is either to bring it to a vote of the people or embarrass the state legislators who accept tobacco industry campaign donations.

Big Tobacco-Backed Lawmakers Take Down Oklahoma's Anti-Smoking Bill | ThinkProgress

^

That's because Oklahoma is one of the few states without comprehensive bans, and the tobacco companies want to keep it that way.

It's all very twisted. I have no doubt that in the very near future people will look back and say, "How on earth did Oklahoma not ban smoking until 201X??? What in the world was the thinking??" And no one will have any good answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

That's because Oklahoma is one of the few states without comprehensive bans, and the tobacco companies want to keep it that way.

It's all very twisted. I have no doubt that in the very near future people will look back and say, "How on earth did Oklahoma not ban smoking until 201X??? What in the world was the thinking??" And no one will have any good answers.
    They we're thinking if they don't want to go to a smoky bar they won't. Oklahomans were libertarian minded on some things.

This can't be overstated. We don't really need a smoking ban. The market is taking care of it. Name one bar that has opened in the past few years that allows smoking (wsky doesn't count). Fassler, RJ's, Sidecar, Packards, Slaughter house, pump, mule, oak and ore, empire, etc.
    I truly can't remember the last time I came home from the bars and smelled like smoke outside of WSKY.

The only bars downtown I know of that allow smoking inside are WSKY and JJs.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    They we're thinking if they don't want to go to a smoky bar they won't. Oklahomans were libertarian minded on some things.

This can't be overstated. We don't really need a smoking ban. The market is taking care of it. Name one bar that has opened in the past few years that allows smoking (wsky doesn't count). Fassler, RJ's, Sidecar, Packards, Slaughter house, pump, mule, oak and ore, empire, etc.
    I truly can't remember the last time I came home from the bars and smelled like smoke outside of WSKY.
    Except Oklahoma smoking rates are among the highest in the nation and that costs billions in healthcare costs.

Studies and history has shown when smoking bans go into effect smoking rates start to drop and young people in particular are far less likely to pick up the life-long horrible addiction.

This isn't theory... States and entire countries have had comprehensive bans since the early 90's with great improvements in smoking rates and the general health of the public. I've personally witnessed it here in California -- the shift in smoking rates and general attitudes about smoking has been dramatic.

This is like the debate over seatbelt laws in the 70's. Same exact "let people choose" arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Except Oklahoma smoking rates are among the highest in the nation and that costs billions in healthcare costs.

Studies and history has shown when smoking bans go into effect smoking rates start to drop and young people in particular are far less likely to pick up the life-long horrible addiction.

This isn't theory... States and entire countries have had comprehensive bans since the early 90's with great improvements in smoking rates and the general health of the public. I've personally witnessed it here in California -- the shift in smoking rates and general attitudes about smoking has been dramatic.

This is like the debate over seatbelt laws in the 70's. Same exact "let people choose" arguments.
    I guess I'm more libertarian minded then you are. If you want to light up go for it.
    California is on the opposite extreme of smoking though. To the point its starting to be mocked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_fRQe_FgMs

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I guess I'm more libertarian minded then you are. If you want to light up go for it.
    California is on the opposite extreme of smoking though. To the point its starting to be mocked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_fRQe_FgMs
    I'm fine with the "if you want to light up, go for it" idea as long as the smoker pays for 100% of his health care and never expects any government assistance for that care and he does it in an environment in which no one but himself can be affected (e.g., not in parks, restaurants, public buildings).

Unfortunately, that's probably impossible to achieve. Taxpayers pay a very heft price for the effects of tobacco users, not only because they are high utilizers of health care services, thus increasing costs, but also because many rely on taxpayer-funded health programs that spend billions in aggregate treating their tobacco-related diseases.

Non-smokers also suffer severe illnesses from second-hand smoke, especially the most susceptible among us: children.

Thread Information