Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    I wish we could just be OKC FC and have an organic nickname that the fans come up with over time.
    If they select 'Wind' (wouldn't surprise me) and they are really bad, can we say someone has broken Wind?

Blog Entries

These are the logos which were posted from this source:

New Possibilities For USL OKC Soccer Team Names, Crests Included

There are not a lot of good names out there which are going to be an instant hit with Oklahoma City (?). Marketing and branding will take time as the franchise makes its print in our market. Look on the good side of this, we'll have two groups with competing brands making its niche in our market.

This is going to be interesting watching this unique situation as it occurs in the Oklahoma City soccer market.

Love the shield for the Wind, just absolutely hate the name.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I do too. The font is wrong on that one as well. I think you could even use the 'wind shield' and call them Energy and put that on their. But please use a different font.

The play on words is obvious, Oklahoma's wind, generating energy. Or more simply, wind energy.
    What, no love for oil & natural gas if we use Energy as the name?

Blog Entries

If a team is going to represent Oklahoma City we want them shine cosmestically as well as being competitive on the field.

When the dust clears, one team enters and one team leaves:

OR

Who's it going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I do too. The font is wrong on that one as well. I think you could even use the 'wind shield' and call them Energy and put that on their. But please use a different font.

The play on words is obvious, Oklahoma's wind, generating energy. Or more simply, wind energy.
    I just have a really big issues with MOST sports teams nicknames that don't end in "S."

Flyers or 46ers in a landslide. They bring together all the elements (local reference, style, color scheme).
    Does the 46er shield seem undersized?

8. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Looks like it is Energy FC

https://twitter.com/EnergyFC

=/

Games to be played at Bishop Mcguinness High School.

Meh. Take out the star in the logo and I'll be fine with it.

10. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

The logo isn't the problem, the name is terrible. Sounds like a WNBA team.

11. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Energy is better than most of the MLS names out there. Fire, Timbers, revolution, Earthquakes, Impact, Crew, and Dynamo just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Dynamo
    Wasn't our first choice

13. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Got a somewhat blurry pic of the Kit on kfor...

Major league soccer coming to Oklahoma City in Spring 2014 | KFOR.com

The "LABOR OMNIA VINCIT" is a nice touch. Other than that, not my fave. Excited to see a crest, nonetheless.

I like the colors and the name... Crest is okay.

Energy FC

OKLAHOMA CITY ENERGY FC
    NOVEMBER 14, 2013

There is a new professional sport in Oklahoma City: Soccer. In 2014 Prodigal’s Oklahoma City Energy FC will begin its inaugural season, marking the first time the city has had a legitimate professional outdoor soccer team.

After great deliberation, Prodigal landed on the name “Energy.” Inspired by the industry that has become synonymous with Oklahoma, “Energy” also makes a bold statement about the city the team represents and the people who are proud to live and work here. Oklahoma City Energy FC is a metaphor for the great momentum present in Oklahoma City.

The Oklahoma state flag and the state color, green, make up the foundation of the team logo. The logo features an exploding star, symbolizing the spark that initiates energy. The star also forms an abstract soccer ball with upward moving lines to create a sense of positive movement.

“At every step of the process, whether deciding on a name or choosing a logo, our top priority was to accurately and positively represent Oklahoma on a national stage. We are proud of the uniquely Oklahoma brand we have built for the club,” said Darren Ransley, a representative of the team.

Even though it looks like a Sounders kit, I'm really digging that darker one.

Has a very Sounders/Seattle Seahawks look.

There's an OKC v. Seattle joke somewhere, but I'm not funny enough to make it.

I'm digging the uni's. I like the color scheme a lot. I would've preferred the Flyers myself but the Energy isn't terrible either.

20. Default Re: Soccer: NASL and USL professional leagues fighting over OKC

Just got off the phone with them to ask about tickets, ended up getting asked if I would want to head up a supporters group.

I really hate to say this, but this is an absolute joke. The design and colors were completely stolen from Seattle simply because they are one of the most popular teams in the league with a large fan base. Also I sense a bit of a jab towards them in regards to the Thunder. I never liked any of the names or logos really and I wish we had been more simplistic. Oklahoma City FC, AC Oklahoma, etc. Then if we wanted to afterwards we could attach a nickname; similar to Manchester United. They are officially called Manchester United FC but they are nicknamed the Red Devils. I think this would have been a much better, more traditional approach that would have appealed to the soccer crowd much more, rather than grasping at thin air for all the traditional Oklahoman sports fans that barely support the Barons or Redhawks as is. As for the crest, they are creative, yes, but they do not fit in this sport or league. If we want to transform American soccer into a product that is taken seriously by football/futbol/fussbal fans and teams overseas then we need to stop coming up with immature, childlike names. I wouldn't even name a youth soccer team the "Wind" or "Spirit," let alone a professional soccer team. This is why, although I still support it, American soccer continues to drive me crazy. Alas, I digress. I'm getting off of my soapbox now.

Quote Originally Posted by ryne View Post
    I really hate to say this, but this is an absolute joke. The design and colors were completely stolen from Seattle simply because they are one of the most popular teams in the league with a large fan base. Also I sense a bit of a jab towards them in regards to the Thunder. I never liked any of the names or logos really and I wish we had been more simplistic. Oklahoma City FC, AC Oklahoma, etc. Then if we wanted to afterwards we could attach a nickname; similar to Manchester United. They are officially called Manchester United FC but they are nicknamed the Red Devils. I think this would have been a much better, more traditional approach that would have appealed to the soccer crowd much more, rather than grasping at thin air for all the traditional Oklahoman sports fans that barely support the Barons or Redhawks as is. As for the crest, they are creative, yes, but they do not fit in this sport or league. If we want to transform American soccer into a product that is taken seriously by football/futbol/fussbal fans and teams overseas then we need to stop coming up with immature, childlike names. I wouldn't even name a youth soccer team the "Wind" or "Spirit," let alone a professional soccer team. This is why, although I still support it, American soccer continues to drive me crazy. Alas, I digress. I'm getting off of my soapbox now.
    There's some truth and some ridiculousness to your post. Guess what people did when "Real Salt Lake" came out? They made fun of it, saying it was too much a reach to "be like the rest of the world."

Pro soccer in the USA unfortunately has to dumb itself down to reach a broader spectrum of sports fans. It knows it'll have the diehards. I'm okay with that. It's the approach the MLS took and it's working (yes it's a slow process, creating a wildly successful global league does not happen overnight, despite what you want to happen).

As far as you thinking it's a complete rip on the Sounders and a jab re: the Thunder, doubtful. I also was unaware the Sounders have a kit that resembles our home kit.

Energy FC - Oklahoma City Energy FC Secures a Home
    SL PRO team Oklahoma City Energy FC will play their regular season home and playoff games at Pribil Stadium on the campus of Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School in Oklahoma City.

The stadium is conveniently located in the central part of Oklahoma City near a thriving business district at I-44 and Western. Prodigal Owner Bob Funk Jr. says of the venue, “It’s located in the heart of the city, has a wide variety of pre- and post-game dining options around the Western Avenue corridor, and provides sports fans with an opportunity to see soccer in an intimate environment.”

Initially drawn to the stadium for its natural grass field which is ideal for soccer, Prodigal consulted their advisory board, staff, alumni and boosters of Bishop McGuinness, and executives of MLS and USL PRO, who felt that playing at Pribil was hands down the best option.

“We appreciate the staff, alumni and boosters from Bishop McGuinness for providing our team with the opportunity to play soccer in their stadium. The tradition of athletic success is strong at McGuinness, and we look forward to adding to that tradition,” said Prodigal Owner Bob Funk Jr.

Though Oklahoma City Energy FC is excited to have a home for the forseeable future, Prodigal is already developing plans for a stadium in downtown OKC, which would be a catalyst for an even more tailored professional soccer experience.

Blog Entries

Since when is I-44 and Western the heart of the city?

So I am guessing with them playing games at a Catholic school field no beer sales at games (oh wait, nevermind, it's Catholic, not Baptist, hooray!)

Thread Information