Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the former news anchors?

Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Liz Ayres, kwtv primetime anchor prior to Debbie Faubion, is a midday news anchor in upstate New York.

Barbara Wallace, the early evening anchor at KWTV during the Roger Cooper- Patti Suarez heyday, is a morning tv host in Hawaii.

Alicia Malaby, former reporter-KWTV is working at a tv station as a reporter/anchor in Northern California

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardEll
    Debbie Faubion, an attractive brunette, who was replaced by the all time ratings magnet, Patti Suarez, is still a popular anchor at a network affiliate in the carolinas
    Speaking of the Carolinas, I believe former KWTV sports anchor John Snyder is still a news anchor at NBC 6 in Charlotte.

Rich Lenz, another KWTV alumnus of the Patti Suarez-Roger Cooper heyday era, is now sports director and primetime sports anchor at a network affiliate in New Orleans, LA

I worked in OKC television back in the 80s and I can tell you none of those gerbil-related stories are true. They are popular urban legends that pop up from time to time (in fact, when I moved to Los Angeles, where I am now, 10 years ago, I heard that the same story went around there, only it was about Richard Gere).

I think I know who started it in OKC about the Mathis Bros. but I'll never tell. I guess someone added the Dan Slocum angle later.

I'm very happy to have found this forum. Much happiness, and watch out for flying chairs!

7. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

Welcome to the board, magicchord. But now you guys have me curious as to what the story was....
    Continue the Renaissance

ACK! I tried to submit a link but your draconian board rules prohibit me from posting one.

Go to snopes period com and search the word gerbil and you'll get a good explanation.

Patrick Guest

The policy is in place to prevent spamming. Once you have made 10+ posts you will be able to make a post. Or if you really like this site a lot, help fund it by donating to it. See the link in my sig.

Todd Guest

Welcome aboard magicchord,

As you have already noticed for the most part we have a fairly organized and "clean" forum. Ironically it stays this way because of our draconian board rules. In the "old" days we would spend hours deleting free ipod links posted by spammers. We came to the conclusion it would much easier to institute a minimum post feature before new users could post links. This minor limitation is removed after 10 posts. I have no problems removing the limitation if you want to email me a request.

Patrick Guest

Hey magicchord, thanks for uprading to become a Premium Member. That's an easy way to be able to post a link, plus it's helping off-set operating expenses of this site.

Thanks.
    I used the word "draconian" because I must have spent 15 minutes trying to disguise my link so it would post. That I couldn't do it is a testament to the thoroughness of your work.

But hey, I'm a Premium Member now!

But I still couldn't post a link.

Todd Guest

You beat me a again Patrick.

Yes, thank you magicchord for upgrading!

Please let one of us know if you have any questions on how to access your Premium Member features or hidden forums.

14. Default Re: Where are all the former news anchors?

" You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

RockStar Guest

Weatherman Troy Bridges, formerly of KFOR, is now Chief Meteorologist of Fox 16 in Little Rock, AR. He wasn't here all that long, but I guess he knew Morgan wasn't going anywhere soon and decided to go elsewhere.

Bella Shaw is writing a column in a suburban Los Angeles newspaper, and also appears sometimes on infomercials.

Donna Gregory is on MSNBC as a reporter and fill in anchor

Ross Dixon, former KOCO-5 weatherman is on OETA public television's evening news as the weather forecaster, and still is a thorough professional and popular with viewers

Ann Halloran, an OU alum, was news anchor for KWTV in 2001-2002. The news reports about the matter said she did not get along well with co-workers.

Keith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardEll
    Ann Halloran, an OU alum, was news anchor for KWTV in 2001-2002. The news reports about the matter said she did not get along well with co-workers.
    I think it is real interesting that when Jennifer Reynolds was about to leave News9, that she was really helping to promote Ann as her replacement. I didn't have anything against Ann, but she just didn't seem to fit in. Right now, AmyMcree is doing an outstanding job, and she works real well with Kelly Ogle and the other anchors.

F60 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke
    Anyone remember Ray Preston at channel 4? His wife was killed doing the story about the pilot providing rides without a license. She was killed in a plane crash while giving a demonstration. I knew Ray then and can remember how devastating that was. He is reporting in St Louis now doing quite well.
    Just found this site while doing a Google, and read this thread. Wasn't it Devin Scillion who's wife was killed in the aerobatic plane crash. Not actually an aerobatic plane, it was one of those Top Gun outfits that came to AeroSpace America. 4 had him on a few years ago when they were doing a followup on famous Okies. He talked about how the people of OKC had been so kind to him afterwards.

And what was her name?

Mark in Stillwater

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by F60
    Just found this site while doing a Google, and read this thread. Wasn't it Devin Scillion who's wife was killed in the aerobatic plane crash. Not actually an aerobatic plane, it was one of those Top Gun outfits that came to AeroSpace America. 4 had him on a few years ago when they were doing a followup on famous Okies. He talked about how the people of OKC had been so kind to him afterwards.

And what was her name?

Mark in Stillwater
    You're thinking of Ray Preston. I think his wife's name was Kathy Jones-Preston. And she wasn't doing a story about pilots without licenses or anything like that, just a story about aerobatic flying. She and the pilot were doing manuevers near the Cimmaron River valley in Kingfisher county. The pilot was performing a diving manuever, but he underestimated his speed, and was unable to pull up in time. The plane slammed belly down into the mostly dry riverbed, and both were killed instantly. A KFOR photog was filming it all, and the footage is very stunning, if you haven't seen it.

I believe Ray Preston is still a reporter at the CBS affiliate in St. Louis, where he's been since just after the crash. Devin Scillian is a top anchor at the NBC affiliate in Detroit, and was getting serious play for a time to replace Brian Williams as anchor of MSNBC's nightly newscast when Williams when to NBC's Nightly News.

F60 Guest

OK, you may be right. Neither one's current bios mentions a previous wife who was killed. I remember the incident, and the fact that the other OKC stations sent people to 4 to do their work the day of the funeral so that 4's people could all go to the services. Nice thing to do, I thought.

Scillian was in OKC a year or three ago doing a promo tour for a (children's?) book he wrote, and 4 did an interview/photo essay on him. That's where I'm getting the idea that he left OKC after his wife died, but may not be the same incident as the plane crash. He's got quite a resume these days! You can check out his website at his name period com.

Mark

okcerintul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by F60
    OK, you may be right. Neither one's current bios mentions a previous wife who was killed. I remember the incident, and the fact that the other OKC stations sent people to 4 to do their work the day of the funeral so that 4's people could all go to the services. Nice thing to do, I thought.

Scillian was in OKC a year or three ago doing a promo tour for a (children's?) book he wrote, and 4 did an interview/photo essay on him. That's where I'm getting the idea that he left OKC after his wife died, but may not be the same incident as the plane crash. He's got quite a resume these days! You can check out his website at his name period com.

Mark
    I'll bet Devin was discussing the bombing. I remember in the day or two afterward, channel 4 had a program fairly late a night that consisted of Devin sitting in the newsroom and taking phone calls from viewers. I've never been a big fan of KFOR's news, but I did watch that. It was a break from seeing the damage and hearing about the human toll.

I think that Channel 4 call-in show helped make Devin's career. Nice guy, talented.

In addition to writing books, he also writes songs and sings quite well.

(I'm a former Ch. 4 staffer from long ago so I'm biased )

Thread Information