Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Great work Patrick!

Keep up up to date with the future plans (5 to 10, hopefully closer to 5).

Does anyone have pics of the mall when it was still open air? I never saw it in that state (or when it only had 1 floor) and it kind of blows my mind to think of it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    Does anyone have pics of the mall when it was still open air? I never saw it in that state (or when it only had 1 floor) and it kind of blows my mind to think of it as such.
    Doug's blog has a couple of pictures here:

http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-browns.html

There is a picture of the main entry here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-oklahoma-city

4. Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Quote Originally Posted by iMAX386 View Post
    It was somewhat ahead of its time. If it was developed today (on albeit a larger scale) we would think it was very cool. It was a great place.

Thanks for the pics, have heard it was that way but hard to imagine it (even with seeing the pics) as the enclosed, 2 story is all I have known.

I remember when it was open air and I remember doing car shows in the previous, enclosed configuration. I did find copies of the enclosure project CD's when I was cleaning out one of the vaults at Benham in the late 80's.

Any more pics?

8. Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

I've got several pictures of good resolution that show Penn Square in the old days I'll post next week on OKC History.

9. Default Re: Waldenbooks @ Penn Square Mall is Leaving....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, I think they really like this plan, except with more retail space on the west side to make it a complete square like with Northpark Center in Dallas. And eliminate the hallway between V and C. Also, the square on the west labeled "C" would be a department store, just west of Pepperoni Grill in the west parking lot. A few extra decks would be added to the existing parking garage, and a new parking garage would be built on the north side of Macy's and the new addition.

This is exactly what I had in mind, Patrick! With a constant waiting list, it just makes economic sense.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

This may sound like an odd question but where does the "Square" part of "Penn Square" come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    This may sound like an odd question but where does the "Square" part of "Penn Square" come from?
    A common use of the word "square" is as a public meeting area. You will also note that many shopping centers around the country have that word included in the name. It has nothing to do with the shape. Casady Square in OKC is another case in point.

gotchya...that makes sense...was thinking maybe it was square in orientation when it was named but got lost over the years with expansions etc...sort of like French Market Mall @ 63rd & May. The enclosed "French Market" mall space has been nearly completely obliterated w/Burlington Coat Factory taking over that entire space. The only remains are the escalators and the wrought iron railings (were black, but painted white now).

The "Square" title, actually comes from the original "square" that was in the center of the complex. It's still there, although not completely square like when it was built. It's now the center court where the glass elevator and central escalators are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The "Square" title, actually comes from the original "square" that was in the center of the complex. It's still there, although not completely square like when it was built. It's now the center court where the glass elevator and central escalators are located.
    Patrick, it's not really worth arguing about but, unless you have specific information to back that up, I doubt that was really the reason. It's just a generic term for shopping center. I previously mentioned Casady Square in OKC and we also have the examples of Walnut Square, Holiday Square, Kickingbird Square, Smithcot Square, and Economy Square. The rectangular pedestrian area of Penn Square was more to the east side of the center just as it is today and not particulaly central. It was just a small portion of the overall area.

Just like with "The Square" in Santa Fe. The title pertains to the small square gathering/pedestrian area, with shops around it. Look back on the Oklahoman archives, in articles from the 1950's when Penn Square was developed, and you'll find the source. I can't post it here due to copyright issues.

Thread Information