Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chelino's

Default Re: Chelino's

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    through most of its run it was el fenix but finished up as a monterey jack's
    How does any remember the quality of that place to compare it to today's standards? That was years ago.

If you ask me 75% of the "tex-mex" places taste the same. The places that people say are better are more traditional mexican restaurants and not everyone likes that style of food?

If you want truly awful Mexican food, you can’t beat La Sénorita in Petoskey, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Ted's is popular but popular doesn't mean its great. It's not the worst I've had either. I would say it's about average for Oklahoma. I go to Ted's with my family because that's where they insist on going but I never suggest it otherwise.
    It was a *lot* better many years ago. It has changed hands at least twice IIRC, and while it's still...OK...agree that it isn't some destination place. When my wife and I first married, it was, but not so much now. We've transitioned to Mama Roja's as our go-to special-trip Mexican place. Alfredo's in Moore is consistently tasty and a better value, IMHO, than Ted's.

HangryHippo Guest

There's a place on Main St. in Yukon called Poquito de Mexico that has to serve the worst "food" ever. It's downright awful. I'd take Chelino's over Poquito's any day.

When I lived in the southeast and midwest, I would have killed for a Ted's or Chelino's. While living in Ohio, I would drive an hour to eat at an Abuelo's that tasted pretty much like the ones here. There is a reason regions have specialties. I haven't had a decent salt crust pizza or pretzel bun since leaving Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    If you want truly awful Mexican food, you can’t beat La Sénorita in Petoskey, Michigan.
    Have you tried Jose Babushka's in Grand Rapids, Mi. ? I didn't get a chance, then they closed but have recently reopened. I just love the name. Mexican first name and Polish last name. I think it's just a "made up" name. Catchy though.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Have you tried Jose Babushka's in Grand Rapids, Mi. ? I didn't get a chance, then they closed but have recently reopened. I just love the name. Mexican first name and Polish last name. I think it's just a "made up" name. Catchy though.
    C. T.
    My siblings and I chose to go to Carlos O'Kelly's just about every year for our birthdays. I don't remember there being anything Irish on the menu though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    My siblings and I chose to go to Carlos O'Kelly's just about every year for our birthdays. I don't remember there being anything Irish on the menu though.
    Love it.
    C. T.

9. Default Re: Chelino's

Try looking for Mexican food in SW Connecticut. I lived there a few months in 2000. Taco Bell and On The Border were by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    C. T.
    I'm laughing because you know about my hometown I'm from grand rapids. Its funny because I can't wait to get back there to get a wet burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by the michigander View Post
    I'm laughing because you know about my hometown I'm from grand rapids. Its funny because I can't wait to get back there to get a wet burrito.
    My late sister lived there for about nine years. In her last year (1989) I made six trips to there. She actually lived in Kentwood.
    C. T.

12. Default Chelino's

Looks like the Chelino's that opened up not too long ago on N Olie has closed. Not the best location at all. I don't think people even knew it was there.

13. Default Re: Chelino's

Should have moved out to the old Hideaway location, at least that is visible from the street.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Should have moved out to the old Hideaway location, at least that is visible from the street.
    Timing prevented this. The Olie location was available before Hideaway moved out. Several spots in Nichols Hills Plaza have recently been filled by restaurants, but as much as Chelino’s might want to be there, they wouldn’t be consistent with the more-upscale tenant mix.

I can recommend Armando’s in the former Chelonia spot on north May. The owners have 35 or so years working in Chelonia before they branched out. So the recipes are familiar but with a little more flavor and love. I recommend the more authentic dishes over the okc-mex fare. But that’s my personal taste

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    I can recommend Armando’s in the former Chelonia spot on north May. The owners have 35 or so years working in Chelonia before they branched out. So the recipes are familiar but with a little more flavor and love. I recommend the more authentic dishes over the okc-mex fare. But that’s my personal taste
    Where's Chelonia? My dumb auto-correct always does that, too

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bricktown

Word is Chelinos in Bricktown is closing.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Wow! They had a long run. That's another big hole along the canal. A lot of closures on the canal in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Wow! They had a long run. That's another big hole along the canal. A lot of closures on the canal in the last couple years.
    I always thought they did good business, but maybe it has something to do with a parking garage being built in front of their main entrance, I assume that's still in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I always thought they did good business, but maybe it has something to do with a parking garage being built in front of their main entrance, I assume that's still in the works?
    It's not like their main entrance was all that attractive to begin with, since it is at the end of a dead-end alley.

As to their closing, I think it is time for a little refresh along the canal. If we got something new to market or at least new to Bricktown in both Chelino's and Zio's I think it would attract people back to the canal.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Oh no! I end up eating there nearly weekly, that is extremely disappointing.

Bricktown turning back to what it was in the 90's. Becoming a ghost town of what it was as more people are moving to different parts of downtown. I think the number one effect to why this is happening. People wanted a San Antonio type of Riverwalk. That is not happening canal level it is so bare and becoming all boarded up and a haven for transients. The district is not as inviting as it was 6 years ago. Pretty embarrassing hope big changes happen soon or Bricktown will become what it was before the ballpark was built. That was bad news back in those days.

Brick town is not a ghost town. Go down there any weeknight, and especially any weekend.

I think Bricktown could use a refresh along the canal, but no major changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    Bricktown turning back to what it was in the 90's. Becoming a ghost town of what it was as more people are moving to different parts of downtown. I think the number one effect to why this is happening. People wanted a San Antonio type of Riverwalk. That is not happening canal level it is so bare and becoming all boarded up and a haven for transients. The district is not as inviting as it was 6 years ago. Pretty embarrassing hope big changes happen soon or Bricktown will become what it was before the ballpark was built. That was bad news back in those days.
    I agree partially, though I wouldn't say it's a ghost town or is reverting back to what it was in the 90s. And aside from the canal there is a lot of positive things going on in Bricktown, one of which is the Spaghetti Warehouse renovation. As a whole the district has lost a lot of its thunder though and that isn't entirely a bad thing. I think other areas of OKC offer a superior urban experience, one that you couldn't find here even just a few years ago. As for the Bricktown Canal, I think all this could have been avoided if the city wouldn't have allowed Randy Hogan to built a suburban strip mall and front the canal with parking. It's unlikely that is what was envisioned back in the 90s when the canal was proposed. And for some reason the upper canal has never really taken off either. It's been 20 years.

Bricktown kinda sucks IMO but there are a few good restaurants and clubs.

Thread Information