Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

1. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

I carry tons of tunes, but I have been known to fiddle about with iTunes Radio, and have even created a station of my own.

Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    While I don't beleive or condone pirating, if you really don't have $10 a month to spend on Spotify or $20 a month for satellite radio, go to Piratebay.org Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site
    You use that, and risk getting your Internet service shut down at least temporarily. That how unauthorized downloads of copyrighted media are being handled these days.

3. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Your internet being disconnected is the least of your worries. Pirating music will get you a hefty lawsuit.

There really isn't a need to pirate anymore when Amazon offers DRM-free MP3s for $1.29.

Many of my CD's I buy used, especially 90's era country which can be bought around 2.00 a CD. That way I can rip at what level I want and always have a backup. For my main stereo system I have a 200 disc changer that will play MP3 CD's so I can load a bunch of songs on one disc and hit shuffle. It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Your internet being disconnected is the least of your worries. Pirating music will get you a hefty lawsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    You use that, and risk getting your Internet service shut down at least temporarily. That how unauthorized downloads of copyrighted media are being handled these days.
    Hmmmm, I know plenty of people who do it and have been doing for awhile now. They have not had one problem.

Plutonic Panda,
    It's a risk but if you are willing to take a chance, be prepared to suffer the consequences. I have read about fines in the $25,000 range and some were caught in OKC a few years back.
    C. T.
    Hmmmm, I know plenty of people who do it and have been doing for awhile now. They have not had one problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Plutonic Panda,
    It's a risk but if you are willing to take a chance, be prepared to suffer the consequences. I have read about fines in the $25,000 range and some were caught in OKC a few years back.
    C. T.
    huh, well like I said, I believe in paying for things I use and giving credit where it is due, so I honestly don't believe in it. $25,000 seems a bit much. I would assume they just pay for the media they pirated and serve some community service or something.

9. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

$25,000 seems a bit much. I would assume they just pay for the media they pirated and serve some community service or something.
    RIAA - The Law - March 23, 2014
    Last edited by CuatrodeMayo; 03-23-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: being nice

The system in place to police BitTorrent hasn't even been mentioned in this back and forth.

Cox is not signatory to the Six Strikes deal worked out between AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon. But, they did say at the time the Copyright Alert System was announced that they have a "proprietary" system that is very close to what the others announced they would follow.

If you're caught one time you get a letter, second time you get a letter, it's a graduated response up until the sixth infringement at which point they can throttle your service and, in some cases, shut your account down altogether.

Getting caught downloading something from BitTorrent is a big deal only if you've been warned and warned and warned. It's too huge to police. No to mention, if you're not seeding (sharing) for long periods after the download - you'll probably never even get the first letter.

In reality, the MPAA and RIAA occasionally will "make an example" of somebody that makes the news and frighten people - but it's extremely rare. The biggest problem with all of this legally is it is very hard to prove an IP address = a particular individual to pursue.

I don't use any peer-to-peer as it's not only ethically wrong, I am concerned with the security of any file that is shared peer-to-peer.

Copyright Alert System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Center for Copyright Information | What is a Copyright Alert?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I already know what it is.... what is your point?

12. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Peer-to-peer, in and of itself, is ethically neutral; it's when you use it to steal stuff that it becomes a problem.

I don't torrent, mostly because I don't have a whole lot of faith in the mysterious providers at the other end.

Interesting read from the New York Times. Young, Rich and Ruling Radio, Country Walks a Broader Line

Lately, I have been listening to iHeart Radio on my iPhone. I have been listening to Air Chicago for my Smooth Jazz fix. It's pretty good station that is designed to provide information to travelers at O'Hare and Midway. It's programmed to provide information about airport services and amenities. Its only a few minutes of that with Chicago news and weather then back to music for about 45 minutes of each hour. If you like Smooth Jazz, you might want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Interesting read from the New York Times. Young, Rich and Ruling Radio, Country Walks a Broader Line
    This really isn't all that surprising. What's coming out of Nashville has so much pop in it that it's hardly distinguishible from AC and top 40 stations. Back in the late 60s and into the 70s, the music that came out of Nashville got too polished and the outlaw movement took it back to its roots. Country needs another wake up call like that.

Thread Information