Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Car Spotting in OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I was there getting my wife her new car and tried to negotaite a test drive in the deal but that fell on deaf ears
    What did they say? I'm surprised they didn't let your wife test drive it.

2. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Well we got her a Q7 but i wanted to give a little back off that deal to be able to test drive the R8 for fun. Bascially you have to be a real potential buyer to get near that drivers seat.

3. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	9373

Saw this Lambo in Midwest City a few weeks ago..

4. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Takes all types. I'd never have a car I didn't drive, no matter the cost. If I bought a 5 million dollar Bugatti...You'd see my butt in it all the time, grinning like an idiot.

There's a dude out here in Choctaw with a mint condition OG Mini that I see driving all the time. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Takes all types. I'd never have a car I didn't drive, no matter the cost. If I bought a 5 million dollar Bugatti...You'd see my butt in it all the time, grinning like an idiot.

There's a dude out here in Choctaw with a mint condition OG Mini that I see driving all the time. It's awesome.
    There are a few cars I'd only drive on the track if I had them just because I wouldn't trust other drivers.

6. Default Re: Car Spotting in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    There are a few cars I'd only drive on the track if I had them just because I wouldn't trust other drivers.
    I'm the opposite. I don't trust me on the track.

Here's a car built according to the latest NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) regulations.

Name:	10710740_10203897874186002_7286495819062440753_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	9387

I really pulled a "Doh!" by not taking pics of the car I saw today. It was on a car hauler with some exec type limo's and suv's. It was an old VW bug. A very old one. Light metallic blue with a wood slate luggage rack on the rear engine cover and one on top. Heavy duty bumpers front and back. The guy was just getting back from getting a bite to eat and started checking the straps and such. I got and asked him about the bug and ii is heading toward cali to some rich dude. He had bought it in Warsaw, Poland. It looked like it was from the mid 60's and immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I really pulled a "Doh!" by not taking pics of the car I saw today. It was on a car hauler with some exec type limo's and suv's. It was an old VW bug. A very old one. Light metallic blue with a wood slate luggage rack on the rear engine cover and one on top. Heavy duty bumpers front and back. The guy was just getting back from getting a bite to eat and started checking the straps and such. I got and asked him about the bug and ii is heading toward cali to some rich dude. He had bought it in Warsaw, Poland. It looked like it was from the mid 60's and immaculate.
    Mel,
    Funny that you should mention a 60's VW bug, there is one in the parking lot of the garage on the Northeast corner of Edmond road (2nd) and Broadway. I believe it is pre-1960. It is definitely pre-1964 because it doesn't have the round bumper that was on the 64 and later models.
    C. T.
    Last edited by ctchandler; 11-20-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Mel,
    Funny that you should mention a 60's VW bug, there is one in the parking lot of the garage on the Northeast corner of Edmond road (2nd) and Broadway. I believe it is pre-1960. It is definitely pre-1964 because it doesn't have the round bumper that was on the 64 and later models.
    C. T.
    I driven past that VW numerous times. It's a '65 and very slick. Those round bumpers ran up until '67 and changed to the box style for'68.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I driven past that VW numerous times. It's a '65 and very slick. Those round bumpers ran up until '67 and changed to the box style for'68.
    Rezman,
    I was off by four years, my brother bought one new and I had 1964 in mind, but he hadn't graduated from high school yet, he was USG class of 1965. He bought a new 1968. I'm pretty good about cars and I can't believe I blew this one. I think it's because a Navy friend of mine had a 1964. My senility is showing.
    C. T.

Rezman,
    I was off by four years, my brother bought one new and I had 1964 in mind, but he hadn't graduated from high school yet, he was USG class of 1965. He bought a new 1968. I'm pretty good about cars and I can't believe I blew this one. I think it's because a Navy friend of mine had a 1964. My senility is showing.
    C. T.
    Not at all C. T. It's hard to tell the subtle differences between the Bug years, but they're there. ... Plus that one says '65 on the for sale sign . It's hard to believe that there were over 21 million of those produced.

Mel,
    C. T.
    I haven't seen this VW on the corner of 2nd & Broadway in a while and figured it sold until I came across it on Craigslist still for sale. .... $15k.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	9899

I just forget what this durned phone I have can do most times. I know the guy would have let me climb on the carrier and get some inside shots. It was on the lower ramp at the back end. Somebody had slapped some TLC on that bug. It was uber classic.

Porsche 912 looks to be in excellent shape at NW 37th and Western in parking lot west of the Crown Heights Methodist Church.

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	9522

Quote Originally Posted by cxl144 View Post
    Porsche 912 looks to be in excellent shape at NW 37th and Western in parking lot west of the Crown Heights Methodist Church.

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	9522
    Wow, are old Porsches beautiful. They have some amazing lines.

I am going to put up a sticky note in my car to remind me my phone takes pictures. Of course some of the times I get so gobsmacked I can not do much more than stare and TRY and keep on the road.

Ever since the Maserati dealership opened, the amount of them on the street has quintupled. I see them almost as much as I see Mercedes.

I forgot to mention that my Beetle had the obligatory upside-down American flag on one of the windows (to denote distress), a peace sign (not the devil worship peace sign but the other one) and a bumper sticker with the immortal words of John Prine: "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore." Yup. I was one of those people. But I was only about 19 so . . .

I saw a green Tesla Model S near OU Medical Center a few weeks able. It gave me a smile.

There was a this article on Hemmings a couple of days ago... Great story.
    SIA Flashback ? Restoration Profile: 1958 Volkswagen Sun Roof Sedan | Hemmings Daily

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	9609

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    My first car was a '64 Dodge Dart. Man I loved that car. You could fix anything on it with a hammer and a bottle of WD-40. Push-button automatic and the slant 6 was a dream to drive.

Man they just don't make them like they used to, do they?
    That old Slant 6 was a heck of an engine. First produced in 1960 and was used in Chrysler vehicles into the late 80's. The engines outlasted most of the cars they were installed in.

I wish they did. I now drive a '14 Jeep Wrangler, and I love it. But if anything goes wrong, it requires a lot more to fix it, and with the heavy involvement of computers in the operation of the vehicle, it's not often something you can easily do/diagnose from home.

When I was given $2,000 upon graduating from High School to buy a car (to replace my faithful VW bug) or to take a trip to Africa, I opted for a new BMW R-75/5. And the rest is history . . . =) I'd guess that Ferrari Lunch Meat is extra good . . . especially at Whole Foods. The carbon footprint metric is lower.

But speaking of "car spotting in OKC" . . .
    I'm sure glad that I spotted that Cadillac Escalade in the left lane, southbound on Robinson, at about 9:00 am the other day that blithely and blindly decided to make a right turn onto 13th street causing me to consider, in a split second decision, whether to let them wreck my Chevy S-10, occupying the space to their immediate right, by not responding to their idiocy and allowing them to ruin the side of their road barge while doing minimal damage to my vehicle. I opted not to be late for my appointment, braked and swerved. Maybe next time . . . =) I fairly sure that I could have pried about $4K in damages out of them . . .

I hope the scrawny little blonde toothpick soccer mom at the wheel of that automotive behemoth reads this blog . . .
    (that's "road rage" sublimated. I thought the driver would be some sort of overcoat clad hurried businessman who thought he owned the road, but when I saw the sorry specimen attempting to steer that vehicle at the next light, after changing lanes, I couldn't even bring myself to honk . . . until now. =)

My first car was a '64 Dodge Dart. Man I loved that car. You could fix anything on it with a hammer and a bottle of WD-40. Push-button automatic and the slant 6 was a dream to drive.

Sid,
    Actually, how many cars in the 50s to the 80s could go 100,000 miles without a tuneup. I'm 71 years old and loved my 63 Plymouth Sport Fury, 383 ci high performance and four in the floor with a Hurst shifter, but it needed tuning every 3,000 miles. My neighbor owned a garage for quite a few years and would tell you how much better the cars of today are. Electronic ignition, fuel infection and lots of other things. Our cars in our younger days were great memories, but wouldn't hold a candle to today's cars.
    C. T.

Thread Information