Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: San Antonio | Deep In The Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Given the section only in Texas is roughly equal distance to Dallas to Houston, it seems a little hard to believe it happens before a DFW-Houston line. Which has like six times the voters in Texas and more than double the total population of potential riders.
    The SA to Monterrey line is more likely to happen because Mexico already has funding for their portion and finding a private firm to build the US portion won't be too hard.

Not really urban news but still San Antonio news.

El Paso is located in a desert man. Do you want OKC to rip all of its grass and trees and turn into a desert? El Paso has also been experiencing quite a boom from what I've heard and I honestly would not compare El Paso to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    El Paso is located in a desert man. Do you want OKC to rip all of its grass and trees and turn into a desert? El Paso has also been experiencing quite a boom from what I've heard and I honestly would not compare El Paso to OKC.
    I didn't mean literally their standards. There are cues OKC could take from El Paso like planting trees, rock or brick fences around subdivisions rather than wood, medians on streets with double turn lanes, and streetlights/sidewalks along every street.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I didn't mean literally their standards. There are cues OKC could take from El Paso like planting trees, rock or brick fences around subdivisions rather than wood, medians on streets with double turn lanes, and streetlights/sidewalks along every street.
    Gotcha, my bad.

I couldn't tell you, it is a bit puzzling.

I think with Charlotte it's because they are a banking center. Second only to NYC. In 2001, with just a 1.5 million metro population, their GDP was $100 billion.

Also one thing, it is amazing how Texas has so many other cities ranging from small to large.

By Metropolitan (Not in order)
    100k: Abilene, San Angelo, Longview, Victoria, Wichita Falls .
    200k- 450k: Tyler, Laredo, Waco, Amarillo, Brownsville, Bryan- College Station, Midland- Odessa, Lubbock, Beaumont- Port Arthur, Temple- Killeen.
    450k- 900k: Corpus Christi, El Paso, Mc Allen.

Agreed, OKC is more in line with San Antonio. Also if OKC and Tulsa were in Texas I would rank them with.
    Tier 1. Houston/DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio/ OKC
    Tier 3. Tulsa/ El Paso

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Agreed, OKC is more in line with San Antonio. Also if OKC and Tulsa were in Texas I would rank them with.
    Tier 1. Houston/DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio/ OKC
    Tier 3. Tulsa/ El Paso
    Perhaps, but I think OKC is distinctively below Austin and San Antonio but above Tulsa and El Paso. Texas doesn't really have any cities that compare to OKC in terms of size and significance. All of the major ones are either above or below us. I would rank it like this.

Tier 1: Houston, Dallas
    Tier 2: Austin, San Antonio
    Tier 3: OKC
    Tier 4: El Paso, Tulsa, Corpus Christi
    Tier 5: Tyler, Laredo, Waco, Amarillo, Brownsville, Bryan- College Station, Midland- Odessa, Lubbock, Beaumont- Port Arthur, Temple-Killeen, McAllen

Perhaps, but I think OKC is distinctively below Austin and San Antonio but above Tulsa and El Paso. Texas doesn't really have any cities that compare to OKC in terms of size and significance. All of the major ones are either above or below us. I would rank it like this.

Tier 1: Houston, Dallas
    Tier 2: Austin, San Antonio
    Tier 3: OKC
    Tier 4: El Paso, Tulsa, Corpus Christi
    Tier 5: Tyler, Laredo, Waco, Amarillo, Brownsville, Bryan- College Station, Midland- Odessa, Lubbock, Beaumont- Port Arthur, Temple-Killeen, McAllen
    I'd add El Paso and Tulsa to Tier 3 and move McAllen to Tier 4 with Corpus.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I'd add El Paso and Tulsa to Tier 3 and move McAllen to Tier 4 with Corpus.
    OKC having twice the GDP of El Paso and about a third more than Tulsa I think it deserves to be in its own tier.

OKC having twice the GDP of El Paso and about a third more than Tulsa I think it deserves to be in its own tier.
    OKC would definitely be ahead of El Paso and Tulsa, within the Tier. But all three are in the same tier, imo.

OKC would definitely be ahead of El Paso and Tulsa, within the Tier. But they're all three in the same tier, imo.
    I disagree. After looking at the stats, have to say OKC is as much above El Paso as it is below San Antonio.

Like you said though, back to the topic at hand.

There's just no way OKC would be TIER 2.

Oklahoma City:

Population: 1.3 million. (15% growth rate)
    Fortune 500 companies: 2 (both in the 200 range)
    Gross Domestic Product: 63bn

Tulsa:

Population: 1.1 million (10% growth rate)
    Fortune 500 companies: 2 (One in the high 100s)
    Gross Domestic Product: 47bn

OKC's stats aren't very impressive in comparison and that's with being the largest metro in the state and the capital of said state.

IMO, the university and an NBA team doesn't elevate OKC up a tier if it were in Texas.

I revised my post to show the difference between OKC and Tulsa instead of OKC and San Antonio.

I revised my post to show the difference between OKC and Tulsa instead of OKC and San Antonio.
    Your Tulsa stats are incorrect. Their metro area's population is 951,880 (2012) and GDP is $37 billion.

I agree with you that San Antonio is distinctively above OKC. The stats for OKC aren't that terrible, but they just don't match up to the Texas powerhouses. There are many states that you could place a city like OKC in and it would totally dominate.

Your Tulsa stats are incorrect. Their metro area's population is 951,880 (2012) and GDP is $37 billion.

I agree with you that San Antonio is distinctively above OKC. The stats for OKC aren't that terrible, but they just don't match up to the Texas powerhouses. There are many states that you could place a city like OKC in and it would totally dominate.
    I used the CSA population for Tulsa, which is a little over 1.1 million. Not a huge difference between 950k and 1.1 million. But since Tulsa has a CSA population, it has to be used, just like DFW's CSA population is used.

As for the GDP, Tulsa's GDP was 47bn in 2012.

Ok! Enough being off topic. Back to the topic of this thread. lol

Ok, I just realized that Austin has a GDP of $100 Billion or so, and San Antonio with a GDP of nearly $90 Billion.

Tier 1. Houston/ DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio
    Tier 3. OKC

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Ok, I just realized that Austin has a GDP of $100 Billion or so, and San Antonio with a GDP of nearly $90 Billion.

Tier 1. Houston/ DFW
    Tier 2. Austin/ San Antonio
    Tier 3. OKC
    It's 98bn to 91bn.

In 2001 it was 65bn to 61bn.

Agreed Back of Topic.

Bet you wouldn't guess...

This is a street in San Antonio and is a quick 10 minute walk from downtown.

Bet you wouldn't guess...

This is a street in San Antonio and is a quick 10 minute walk from downtown.

All cities have nice areas; what is so impressive about this picture? I have been to El Paso, and it is an alright city. I however, rank it with Memphis and Tucson; near garbage.

Stick to posting about SA, because with El Paso, it has a long ways to go. Tulsa is 3x the city El Paso will ever become.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    All cities have nice areas; what is so impressive about this picture? I have been to El Paso, and it is an alright city. I however, rank it with Memphis and Tucson; near garbage.

Stick to posting about SA, because with El Paso, it has a long ways to go. Tulsa is 3x the city El Paso will ever become.
    First, I wasn't posting the picture because it's a nice area. I posted it because it's historic and for most people, it doesn't look like a neighborhood in South Central Texas. Also, it's incredibly close to downtown. Most cities in this country do not have historical residential district as close to their downtown cores. It's a two-three minute drive from downtown to this point in the picture. Btw, this is the King William Historical District.

Second, not sure what El Paso has to do with this picture.

Lastly, I do post about San Antonio in this thread.

First, I wasn't posting the picture because it's a nice area. I posted it because it's historic and for most people, it doesn't look like a neighborhood in South Central Texas. Also, it's incredibly close to downtown. Most cities in this country do not have historical residential district as close to their downtown cores. It's a two-three minute drive from downtown to this point in the picture. Btw, this is the King William Historical District.

Second, not sure what El Paso has to do with this picture.

Lastly, I do post about San Antonio in this thread.
    Gotcha, my bad. I thought something else was being portrayed here, but I was wrong.

Thread Information