Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twisters (2024 Movie)

1. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

We are going to go see it again in 4D. should be fun.

Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Side note; were you guys aware that an OU professor was the scientific consultant on Breaking Bad? She actually contacted the production and said she was a fan of the show and asked if they would like some help with the chemistry.
    I had no idea! Now, that was a great series...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    We are going to go see it again in 4D. should be fun.
    Are they offering any more showings in 4DX? Everything has been sold out for the last few days.

4. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

At least it sounds a bit less jarring than Far and Away. It was bad enough listening to Tom Cruise try out an Irish accent, but most Okies are probably taken aback seeing the snow capped mountains of Montana in the background during the Cherokee Strip land run.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    When they drove by the YNB, weren't they supposed to be in a different city? I can't remember, but I do know the friend with me at the theatre nudged me and said, that's Yukon, but they said they were in _________" and I can't remember where they were supposed to be. El Reno, maybe?

I told her nobody was going to notice or care except Okies I didn't even notice it.
    She was going home to Sapulpa. But Yukon was on the way, so she drove right on through. She was by herself and had taken Havi's truck.

6. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ...but most Okies are probably taken aback seeing the snow capped mountains of Montana in the background during the Cherokee Strip land run.
    Try being from Western Kansas and watching just about any episode of Gunsmoke... LOL

At least it sounds a bit less jarring than Far and Away. It was bad enough listening to Tom Cruise try out an Irish accent, but most Okies are probably taken aback seeing the snow capped mountains of Montana in the background during the Cherokee Strip land run.
    I mean that was a long time ago. Nothing a little erosion and climate change couldn’t take care of. Totally believable LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    She was going home to Sapulpa. But Yukon was on the way, so she drove right on through. She was by herself and had taken Havi's truck.
    Yeah I was like wait…did she just straight up steal that dudes truck?

Glad they at least cleared that up later…she did infact steal it

I remember when that was made and they decided not to film here. I read a news story (probably in the DOK) and someone from the OK film office said the production scouted Oklahoma but it wasn't the scenery they were looking for. He was incredulous. He said something like, you can't tell me that Oklahoma doesn't look enough like Oklahoma to film here.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah I was like wait…did she just straight up steal that dudes truck?

Glad they at least cleared that up later…she did infact steal it
    i mean she technically stole the other guys truck there near the end... basically that is just what she does.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I remember when that was made and they decided not to film here. I read a news story (probably in the DOK) and someone from the OK film office said the production scouted Oklahoma but it wasn't the scenery they were looking for. He was incredulous. He said something like, you can't tell me that Oklahoma doesn't look enough like Oklahoma to film here.
    Director Ron Howard was born in Duncan, Oklahoma, and his parents Rance & Jean Howard were students in the Drama Department at OU when they were introduced by fellow Drama student Dennis Weaver. Ron Howard expressed a strong desire to film the Land Run sequences in Oklahoma, but said he couldn't find the wide open spaces he needed, without roads, utility lines and fences getting into the shots. Seems like it was shot in some kind of advanced wide screen format that made those issues more important.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean she technically stole the other guys truck there near the end... basically that is just what she does.
    GTA VI preview

Glenn Powell stole the show. Never heard of him before this movie but may have to check out what other movies he is in.

The movie was ok. Not as good as the original but worth a watch for every Oklahoman.

It was fun to see things in the background you recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Glenn Powell stole the show. Never heard of him before this movie but may have to check out what other movies he is in.

The movie was ok. Not as good as the original but worth a watch for every Oklahoman.

It was fun to see things in the background you recognize.
    Glenn Powell was in the last Top Gun. Was a child actorOn Spy Kid 3 and a bunch of others over the years.

Lots of them.

Guess it's a matter of opinion, but we thought the first Twister was hokey as hell.

Graphics do not compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Gotcha. I'm not familiar at all with any of that area and would never have even noticed. Nice.

The EF-5 tornadoes at the beginning and the end were genuinely frightening - great special effects. The premise that some barrels of sodium polyacrylate would stop a tornado is pretty far-fetched, at least in that manner and in those quantities. Loved seeing their cool drone though - I see that being a bigger part of "chasing" these tornadoes in the future instead of actual chasers and helicopters.

It had an enormous $200 million budget but in just two weeks has already earned $150 MM, so it is well on its way to profitability.

Does anyone, who knows more about movies than I do, have any idea if it will be back in 4DX again? Had never heard of 4DX before two weeks ago and it was almost constantly sold out at the Warren. Seems crazy that it would only have shown in 4DX for a little over a week after performing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It had an enormous $200 million budget but in just two weeks has already earned $150 MM, so it is well on its way to profitability.
    That is nuts!

^

And this is why there are sequels and series.

Big movies are now very expensive and thus incredibly risky. If something doesn't do well at the box office, an entire year can be ruined for a studio.

Sequels can almost always bring in at least 75% of the predecessor's box office, so they are far less speculative.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

And this is why there are sequels and series.

Big movies are now very expensive and thus incredibly risky. If something does do well at the box office, an entire year can be ruined for a studio.

Sequels can almost always bring in at least 75% of the predecessor's box office, so they are far less speculative.
    Bonus points if the sequel is equal or better than the original.

^

There is absolutely no way to predict that when the funds are committed, which is the whole point.

Even if the sequel stinks, the 75% rule still pretty much applies. So, you budget accordingly and if that percentage is surpassed, you're golden. Almost no chance it will fall under that 75% mark.

Just look at all those horrible Star Wars movies (after the first 3) that still grossed incredible amounts. Or the 2nd and 3rd Back to the Future movies, or Raiders of the Lost Ark...

Just came back from watching the movie at Regal Warren in Moore with the wife. I would say the theater we were in was about 40% capacity, which I thought was pretty good for a Monday night. As far as the movie goes, it was ok. The storyline really wasn't unique, and no twists. A lot of similarities to the first one. The special affects were good, and the acting was good. But it was just missing something, I can't put my finger on it. I will give a B-. With the technology and gadgets we have today, seem pretty out there that barrels of sodium polyacrylate could stop an EF-5. I think they could of came up with better idea.

Saw it yesterday. It was a fun ride. I had a good time.

Effects were pretty good. When the wind turbine fell, that looked a bit cartoony. And I know everyone says it's a movie, don't expect realism or you need to have a willing suspension of disbelief. It also needs to follow its own rules it sets up in the beginning and make sense in its own universe. I had trouble buying that these two people that had a sixth sense about tornados and storms were caught by surprise at the rodeo. Everything set up by the movie to that point said these two should've seen that storm coming.

Other stuff like driving through fields as if there aren't fences there or as if it's not someone's property, I can get past that.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Just came back from watching the movie at Regal Warren in Moore with the wife. I would say the theater we were in was about 40% capacity, which I thought was pretty good for a Monday night. As far as the movie goes, it was ok. The storyline really wasn't unique, and no twists. A lot of similarities to the first one. The special affects were good, and the acting was good. But it was just missing something, I can't put my finger on it. I will give a B-. With the technology and gadgets we have today, seem pretty out there that barrels of sodium polyacrylate could stop an EF-5. I think they could of came up with better idea.
    They shoulda bombed it!

Thread Information