Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where did you live?

Default Re: Where did you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I was a south sider. SW 59th and May area in 1959.
    Wow! My first house purchase was one of the first built in the Ferguson Addition, at 2737 SW 60, bought and built in 1958. It's still in the family; I sold it to my parents in the early 60s, and they willed it to my two oldest sons in the early 80s. The boys still own it, as rental property (and as of today it's available; the last tenant got laid off and moved out of state)...

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHSIDE GIRL View Post
    Grade school/ jr high (Heronville/ Capitol Hill JR).......1300 block of SW 26th.

Highschool 43rd and Rancho
    I lived off of SW 35th and Western and attended Heronville too for several years. This was about 1985 or so, so I was there a few years after you.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Wow! My first house purchase was one of the first built in the
    Ferguson Addition, at 2737 SW 60, bought and built in 1958. It's
    still in the family; I sold it to my parents in the early 60s, and they
    willed it to my two oldest sons in the early 80s. The boys still own
    it, as rental property (and as of today it's available; the last tenant
    got laid off and moved out of state)...
    Ferguson Edition? I never knew that. I assumed it was Hillcrest.
    We lived at 2842 S.W. 63rd. Moved there in 1959 and attended
    Knob Hill Baptist Church. I was in the first first grade class at
    Hillcrest Elementary.

Some cigar chomping realtor named Woody sold Dad the house.
    I'm thinking the price was $10,500 and had 4 bedrooms and
    a bath and a half! The payments were @ $100 per month.

Ferguson developed the area south of SW 59 and east of May. It wasn't more than a half-dozen blocks or so.

As I recall the initial price for 2737 was around $12,500 but the payment was less than $100/month. It's 3 bedrooms and single bath, only a bit more than 1100 square feet. We had to wait for it to be built before getting to move in -- and they built a mouse into a kitchen wall. He gnawed his way out shortly after we moved in and we had a glorious mouse-chase all over the place one Sunday morning!

First moved to city at NW 18th near Western. Next to 20th near Penn. Next to 30th & Villa while Shepherd's Mall was being built. Moved to Norman after that.

From small town to NW 30th & Dewey
    Near NW 37th & McKinley (Putnam Heights)
    Central Edmond
    Hopefully Downtown OKC within 18-24 months.

Graduated HS fro Del City in 1977. Grew up in 2300 block of SW 21st (Agnew) between 1963 and 1972. Went to Columbus Elementary, started at Jackson Junior high and moved to Del City midway through the 7th grade. Just in time to avoid desegregation. Truth be known, we moved for two reasons:

1. My mother had graduated and started teaching at Del City high and
    2. My grandfather, who owned the house and the machine shop next door (my father worked there) were both sold a year before. . .

Born over on NW 58th terr 1962, and shortly after we moved to 47th & State in Warr Acres. Around '76, after my mom passed away, we moved to Willowcliff Apartments 50th & Ann Arbor and lived there until I got us kicked out. We then moved to Windsor Village town houses 26th & Windsor Place. When my dad remaried, we moved to just east of 32nd & Ann Arbor in Windsor Hills untill I graduated.

After I moved out, I lived in the following areas in this order...

Rolingwood Apartments, NW 63rd & Macarthur, Warr Acres.
    NW 37th & Indiana, just east of Indiana, Okc.
    NW 65th St between Drexel & Independence, Okc.
    Candlewood Apartments, NW Highway & Candlewood Dr., west of Macarthur, Okc.
    NW34th & Linn, just west of Linn, Okc.
    NW 12th & Goff, which is 3500 block of 12th, Okc.
    NW 12th & Drexel Court, Okc.
    NW 46th & Mayfair Drive, Okc

My current address?... out away in far NE OKc , east of Arcadia... Away from all the Hubbub.

Growing up, Edmond. Although, my dad did for a time being live on 43rd or so between Penn & Villa. I used to call 50 Penn Place the Piggy Bank.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ryandaniel1980 View Post
    I lived off of SW 35th and Western and attended Heronville too for several
    years. This was about 1985 or so, so I was there a few years after you.
    Heronville was where I first attended grade school. Loved the milk in glass
    bottles. Years later my baseball coach died after we played Heronville.

Prunepicker Guest

Ferguson developed the area south of SW 59 and east of May. It wasn't more
    than a half-dozen blocks or so.
    In 1959 it went to SW 66th.
    As I recall the initial price for 2737 was around $12,500 but the payment was
    less than $100/month. It's 3 bedrooms and single bath, only a bit more than
    1100 square feet.
    You're right, the payment on our 4 bedroom, sounds huge, was under $100
    but eventually increased.
    We had to wait for it to be built before getting to move in -- and they built a
    mouse into a kitchen wall. He gnawed his way out shortly after we moved in
    and we had a glorious mouse-chase all over the place one Sunday morning!
    Cool story!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    First moved to city at NW 18th near Western. Next to 20th near Penn. Next to
    30th & Villa while Shepherd's Mall was being built. Moved to Norman after that.
    I'll never forget that the Shepherd's had an absolutely gorgeous daughter. I
    still think of her since I met her. A brunette who wore contact lenses. I know
    because I watched Dad fit her. Okay, I watched her while Dad fit her.

Lived on 45 between May and Independance and 21st off May to the east (the house that has hidden blood splatters under many coats of paint from my slinging my nearly cut off in the car door ring and middle finger as my mom carried me thru to the kitchen.
    Spent lots of time walking between both grandma's on 42nd and Independance and 4805 Independance (where a "former" child molester now lives BTW).
    I later live at 1945 NW 11 I think it was. Someone ran over my precious Shegoes and didn't even bother to stop.
    Barely even care to claim this place where I was born nowadays but I guess lots of cities have just turned to complete **** and women sell their kid to sick ****s in a motel room for meth fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by purpledice42 View Post
    Lived on 45 between May and Independance and 21st off May to the east (the house that has hidden blood splatters under many coats of paint from my slinging my nearly cut off in the car door ring and middle finger as my mom carried me thru to the kitchen.
    Spent lots of time walking between both grandma's on 42nd and Independance and 4805 Independance (where a "former" child molester now lives BTW).
    I later live at 1945 NW 11 I think it was. Someone ran over my precious Shegoes and didn't even bother to stop.
    Barely even care to claim this place where I was born nowadays but I guess lots of cities have just turned to complete **** and women sell their kid to sick ****s in a motel room for meth fairly often.
    Uh huh, bitter much?

15. Default Re: Where did you live?

In 1967 Imoved to NW 34th & Classen, backed up to memorial Park. Grew up there. Love the area.

NW 60th and Villa (64-68)
    Last edited by NWC68; 03-21-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Add Info

When I was born in 57, we lived on 33rd between Kentucky and Indiana. My oldest sister started school at Heronville in 1961. In 62, we moved to 2609 SW 70th. I went to Hillcrest, Jefferson and one year at Grant. We moved to the suburbs in 73. Great place to grow up. I remember sneaking onto (then) Hillcrest CC golf course on Mondays until the pro there (Buster Clary??) would chase us off in a golf cart. We would ride our bikes underneath 74th street between Danner and Lynn and go to the big T G & Y. We'd sell pop bottles or golf balls found in the field east of the golf course (where Olive Garden is now) to make money. We played baseball and football at old Optimist Park (south side of 74th at Shields), and basketball at Salvation Army boy's club downtown. We got haircuts at the Barber College somewhere on Agnew I think. I remember a Jolly Rogers ice cream RV that would make the rounds at night playing music. And of course the little cars with the bell during the daytime. We practiced baseball and football and fished for craw dads in what we called "the big field". It was bounded by Miller and May and SW 66th and SW 74th. I got in trouble a few times for crossing May on my bike to get a giant sweetart at the 7-11. My brother and I threw the Oklahoman and the OKC Times in 1970 or 71 and we'd be out at 3 am by ourselves and never had to worry about anything except throwing a paper into the storm door and waking everyone in the neighborhood. Around 68 or so we discovered golf. My mother would take us to Duffy's Brookside and we could play all day for a dollar during the week and $1.50 on weekends. One day we went around that thing 7 times. 63 holes. Enough for now....

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    ... My oldest sister started school at Heronville in 1961...
    I went to Heronville in 1959. To whom was Heronville named? Someone
    named Heron I assume.

General Info

Established in 1928, Heronville Elementary is a public, coeducational institution that serves students in kindergarten through grade five. It is named after an Oklahoma City educator who donated the land for the school in 1928. I found it through a link from yellow pages. It won't link here.

The power of the internet. We followed you to Hillcrest in 1962. I started kindergarten in the fall of 1963. Great school, great neighborhood. I can't stand to drive through there now. Sad.
    Last edited by AlanW; 04-01-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: correct info

So, the mystery is: Why is it Heronville with one "r" when it was named after a man named Herron? Just curious. My sister went there, then she was transferred to Rancho Village when it was completed. She went there in 1949 after K through 3rd grade at McKinley.
    C. T.

SE 89th and Sooner back in the late '90s. I left OKC in 2002 and returned last summer.

That side of town has grown quite a bit, but still no grocery store. You have to go all the way to Moore or Midwest City for basic staples.

Good question C.T. I have no idea.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    So, the mystery is: Why is it Heronville with one "r" when it was named after a
    man named Herron? Just curious. My sister went there, then she was
    transferred to Rancho Village when it was completed. She went there in 1949
    after K through 3rd grade at McKinley.
    C. T.
    Maybe it was shortened so the name would fit over the entrance? Good
    Question.

I went to Heronville from 1st( 1961?) thru 6th grade. My mother also worked in the cafeteria until 1974. lived on SW 26th and Blackwelder between Blackwelder and Indiana When I was in 4th or 5th grade we lived on 26th between Mckinley and Blackwelder.

Yes it is sad to drive through the area now.

25. Default Re: Where did you live?

Lived in El Reno most of my young life. Moved to OKC after I got remarried to my husband now of almost 15 years. Then we moved out by Edmond area about 9 years ago. Most of my family still live in El Reno...

Thread Information