Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Highball Sushi (formerly Yuzo)

Default Re: Yuzo

They open today and will serve both lunch and dinner 7 days a week.

Went last night to a soft opening with 3 friends and everyone was quite impressed.

We each had a different roll (standouts were the Big Easy and Dr. J, the first two food photos).

The space is very nice and warm and not loud and harsh like so many modern restaurants. There is a big u-shaped bar in the middle, with sushi chefs on the left side and a bartender on the right and then tables along the south wall and booths along the north.

I did not photo all the menu; they also have a tapas page and a couple of others. Quite a selection.

I predict this place will do very well.

2. Default Re: Yuzo

Hmmm.... Not your traditional sounding Locomoco but I will have to go give it a try.

Ramen really appears to be the new food craze around here... New ramen place just opened up in Norman too.

3. Default Re: Yuzo

Those lunch prices are reasonable, I want to try this soon.

I would love to see their entire menu. They don't have one on their Facebook or their website

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I would love to see their entire menu. They don't have one on their Facebook or their website
    Huge gripe I have with restaurants here... Maybe it's just as bad elsewhere, but it's kind of weird that hot (haute ) places don't put up menus, it's just not that hard to do...

I would also like to see their tapas list as well.

7. Default Re: Yuzo

I'm excited to see gyudon on the menu, it's a tasty dish.

Have they posted the full menu to their website?

9. Default Re: Yuzo

The full menu and some pictures are posted at the Yelp link below:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yuzo-sushi-tapas-oklahoma-city

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The full menu and some pictures are posted at the Yelp link below:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yuzo-sushi-tapas-oklahoma-city
    Thanks for posting this! Now I'm excited. Def want to try their chicken karaage. Haven't had anything even remotely close to being as good as the chicken karaage at Marukame Udon. Nigiri prices seem to be appropriate too so that's a plus for me, I don't get into the rolls all that much.

2Lanez Guest

Very impressed with my visit this weekend. I've had odd experiences at tapas/fusion places in the past. Because of that, I don't think my expectations were very high. Food here however, was wonderful. Tried several things: the pork gyoza was fantastic. Perfectly crispy. The sauce was like a ginger ponzu with very thinly diced pico de gallo in it. The pork buns were great too. Of the fish appetizers, the hamachi with cilantro, jalapeno and ponzo was excellent. The sesame seared tuna was good.

Loved all the sushi. Not pictured above is a "nostalgic rolls" menu of more traditional sushi. We had the spicy scallop. Wasn't very spicy, but the scallop was good. The signature rolls were unique. Viet Summer was basically a spring roll, rice paper, lettuce, fish inside, in sushi form. Cucumber sashimi was fantastic. Fish rolled in a thin-sliced rolled cucumber. Max Maguro was one of the better sushi rolls I've ever had.

The space feels somewhat bare still, but overall, we were all very pleased. Great addition to Auto Alley.

I went for a second time last Friday and had another wonderful experience.

I really like the space and the u-shaped bar where you can either sit with the chefs or on the other side with the bartenders. I prefer the latter when I'm on my own.

I just had the Dr. J roll and loved it once again. I really do want to try more of the tapas, so lots of reasons to go back.

They have not done a good job of promoting themselves but as word starts to get around, I think they are going to do very well.

How is the atmosphere, i.e. the music? So many restaurants miss on this.

For a recent example, I'm captivated by the backyard patio at Barrios. But the music is so low as to be impossible to hear. Similarly, the indoor version of the restaurant is very austere and cold, exuding none of the warmth of the patio.

Just an observation. Many restaurants here will think nothing of dumping a couple million into a construction project, but seem to miss the finishing touches that make or break the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I went for a second time last Friday and had another wonderful experience.

I really like the space and the u-shaped bar where you can either sit with the chefs or on the other side with the bartenders. I prefer the latter when I'm on my own.

I just had the Dr. J roll and loved it once again. I really do want to try more of the tapas, so lots of reasons to go back.

They have not done a good job of promoting themselves but as word starts to get around, I think they are going to do very well.
    I hope they do well! I haven't had a chance to try this place out yet, but i plan on it this week!

Going all in here: this is the best sushi I've had in Oklahoma and my favorite new restaurant opening in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Going all in here: this is the best sushi I've had in Oklahoma and my favorite new restaurant opening in a long time.
    Wow! High praise...

I don't claim to be a sushi expert but I've loved everything I've tried here and there are several more items I really want to try.

The operators here really seem to know what they are doing.

17. Default Re: Yuzo

What did you get? I want to try this soon.

The bar isn't set very high for sushi here. Although, I am curious which other places guru has frequented?

Ate here there last week and i wasn't disappointed! Great addition to the restaurant scene here in OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    The bar isn't set very high for sushi here. Although, I am curious which other places guru has frequented?
    I've had sushi in just about every joint in OKC multiple times. I've had sushi on both coasts and in Europe and Japan.

Am I qualified to offer my opinion Mr. Vu?

I went here Tuesday. Loved it. Going into the rotation.

I've had sushi in just about every joint in OKC multiple times. I've had sushi on both coasts and in Europe and Japan.

Am I qualified to offer my opinion Mr. Vu?
    Everybody is always qualified to offer their opinion. I've had sushi in japan too, but that wouldn't make me a connoisseur by any means. I would have thought less of it if the places were limited to this state and to places like GoGo or Meridian 180

Tried this with the wife a week and a half ago and it was great. The decor, food, and service were a really great addition to the Broadway corridor.. We had the blue crab poppers, Big Easy roll and the Smokehouse. Our server was really attentive and knowledgeable. Just an excellent meal.

The only weird thing was that on a Friday night at 10pm, the place was almost empty. I'd say there were probably 10 people in the entire restaurant. I think the fact that they close at 11 probably keeps the late night crowd away. Maybe they should consider closing at midnight on weekends to capture the post movie/Thunder game/Bricktown crowd. Maybe I picked a bad night, Broadway seemed super dead overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Tried this with the wife a week and a half ago and it was great. The decor, food, and service were a really great addition to the Broadway corridor.. We had the blue crap poppers, Big Easy roll and the Smokehouse. Our server was really attentive and knowledgeable. Just an excellent meal.

The only weird thing was that on a Friday night at 10pm, the place was almost empty. I'd say there were probably 10 people in the entire restaurant. I think the fact that they close at 11 probably keeps the late night crowd away. Maybe they should consider closing at midnight on weekends to capture the post movie/Thunder game/Bricktown crowd. Maybe I picked a bad night, Broadway seemed super dead overall.
    Mike_M,
    That doesn't sound very good! I hope you meant "Blue Crab Poppers".
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Mike_M,
    That doesn't sound very good! I hope you meant "Blue Crab Poppers".
    C. T.
    Haha wow, I can't even blame auto correct for that. Good catch, CT. Yes, blue CRAB poppers.

Thread Information