Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OKC Trails Network

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Didn't stop to take a pic, but here's a super short vid of me riding by the new future signage at WRP.

E bikes are cleared to use on trails and parks: https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/3937/18

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_191923.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	17183

Status update on Deep Fork Trail from NE OKC Town Hall

Plans are out to bid for the river trail extension which will tie in the existing trail that runs east to the boathouse district, all the way to the Katy Trail, almost completing a huge loop that would encompass Lake Overholser, Lake Hefner and the OK River.

This would be directly north of the First Americans Museum and OKANA, which would be connected through a proposed pedestrian bridge.

thanks Pete

Sadly Ward 5 has no trails. The promised trail in Map 3 has not been built and apparently the city has no plan to complete the southern portion of the outer trail ring.

Blog Entries

The cycling advocates among us will not stop fighting for more, including the south side...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The cycling advocates among us will not stop fighting for more, including the south side...
    It will be quite a battle given the AIrport trail was listed as a project in MAPS 3 and the committe chose to disregard it and spend the funds elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    It will be quite a battle given the AIrport trail was listed as a project in MAPS 3 and the committe chose to disregard it and spend the funds elsewhere.
    Wait, you mean the credibility of future MAPS programs should be questioned? I thought that was a selling point at the voting booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Wait, you mean the credibility of future MAPS programs should be questioned? I thought that was a selling point at the voting booth.
    Well, I think the larger issue is that there was only one resident from south OKC on the Maps 3 sub-committees and it showed. There were only two southside projects in Maps 3, both of which were held until the end of Maps 3. The city clearly has no plans to complete the AIrport (now Lariat Trail) since the funds were diverted.

Maps projects have almost exclusively benefited north of the river. South OKC is the Underfunded and Underserved District as a direct result of the continued neglect of the city officials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Well, I think the larger issue is that there was only one resident from south OKC on the Maps 3 sub-committees and it showed. There were only two southside projects in Maps 3, both of which were held until the end of Maps 3. The city clearly has no plans to complete the AIrport (now Lariat Trail) since the funds were diverted.

Maps projects have almost exclusively benefited north of the river. South OKC is the Underfunded and Underserved District as a direct result of the continued neglect of the city officials.
    Downtown projects are neither Northside or Southside. The idea that downtown is owned by the north is absurd and divisive. After we factor out the downtown projects, how were the projects split?

Blog Entries

NEW CITY TRAILS AND OTHER ENHANCEMENTS PROGRESSING
    https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/ins...s-progressing/

Wenger believes the biggest single impact for trail users will be the wayfinding system mentioned earlier. New signage will have smart phone capability that will allow trail users to track and find nearby locations when they are on the trail. The signage has yet to be erected on any existing trail, but Lake Hefner will be the first trail system in the city to see the technology integrated into the signage system, Wenger said. New mileage markers will also be installed on the trails
    Interesting, I wonder how that will work.

Wow that article says all of the better streets safer city projects will be U/C or complete by 2022. I didn’t realize the initiative was that far along. Where has the time gone?

Any word on the NWE overpass?

PS, I wonder if the tax will be extended or if the RTA tax vote will come along the same time the current Better Streets tax expires. That would make sense to play it safe.

Blog Entries

that tax took over where MAP3 left off, and ended when MAP4 took over. There's nothing to extend really. Tax collection stopped end of March I believe (since MAPS4 collection started 1 April).

RTA vote is not close so far as I can tell. I think they're working on federal funding first before asking citizens for a vote so they will know how much to ask for/what's needed. Total guess on my part.

It’s somewhat confusing and misleading. Better Streets Safer City is really a program with three different funding sources. There’s the permanent 1/4 cent sales tax for more police officers and fire fighters. There the temporary 3/4 cent sales tax extension (of the original MAPS 3 one cent tax) for streets, trails, sidewalks, etc., and then there’s the 10 year general obligation funds.

I would have to think that, in the article, Wegener says all projects should be under construction by 2022, he is actually talking about any project partially or completely funded by the 3/4 cent extension. There’s a lot of projects funded by just the bond proceeds and those won’t be started and completed for a long time. Ideally 2028 but we are still wrapping up the last of the previous 10 year bond package too. The reason I know this is because my whole neighborhood is supposed to have its streets resurfaced through the BSSC program and it’s definitely not starting in 2022 lol

Blog Entries

non-big-ticket/non-chamber-fave items are expendable

especially if bike/ped/transit

At this point if the city would just mow along 240 regularly and clean up the trash, I'd be happy. It would at least be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    At this point if the city would just mow along 240 regularly and clean up the trash, I'd be happy. It would at least be an improvement.
    Even when they do mow it leaves a lot to be desired. Calling the action center sometimes helps. Demanding more is the only way things will every improve.

Blog Entries

Name:	A3DBCA9F-37D5-4D71-A80C-C745F96AABFD.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	17192
    Wonder when this hole on Katy trail will be fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FF8C650-F4A5-4ACE-8406-B2A5FC900601.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	17191  

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post

Name:	A3DBCA9F-37D5-4D71-A80C-C745F96AABFD.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	17192
    Have you asked the Action Center about it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Have you asked the Action Center about it?
    Note: The Katy Trail is closed for gas line repair. No time of completion is currently available.
    From the OKC Trails website.

Note: The Katy Trail is closed for gas line repair. No time of completion is currently available.
    From the OKC Trails website.
    Yeah, but if you email the OKC Trails people, whoever they are, or open a case with the Action Center, you might get more information?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yeah, but if you email the OKC Trails people, whoever they are, or open a case with the Action Center, you might get more information?
    The Action line took my email and they will check into the Katy trail, and let me know….

25. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Heck that's my favorite section of Katy Trail on my Trek MTB right now!

Thread Information