Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The LFL is coming to OKC

Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

Did you inform your friends that the Mayor didn't ban anything? Even if the misquote was correct and the Mayor was going to ensure that the LFL couldn't play in Cox Center or OKC Arena, there are still plenty of other venues available in OKC. Look as the LFL web site and see the arenas their current teams play in. They only play in one professional arena and that is in Tampa. The rest are small arenas or on college campuses. The even play some games outside in one half of the LA Coliseum, which is hardly fan friendly for 7 on 7 games where fans are hoping to see a nip-slip. Can you even see a nip-slip from 200'?

For all you perverts who are upset about not being able to watch half naked women play football in OKC, there is still hope. I just heard that an article in news9 (could not find it) said that the LFL is going to ask Tulsa to host a team, the crime capitol of Oklahoma. So maybe you can get your kicks, traveling up rout 66!

Ban sharia law, but don't allow women to play football.

Oh the irony of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Did you inform your friends that the Mayor didn't ban anything?
    No, they were too upset over being denied their right to view T&A.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    No, they were too upset over being denied their right to view T&A.
    They are free to build an arena at their own expense.

but don't allow women to play football.
    OKC has had professional women's football for years

According to the Tulsa World, Mayor Bartlett isn't intrested in the LFL either.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    OKC has had professional women's football for years
    This thread is not about OSU.

^ Ha ha good one.

10. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    this thread is not about osu.
    boom! :d

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    ^ Ha ha good one.
    I couldn't resist. For the record, OSU is my second favorite team.

I like OSU when they're not playing OU.

For someone who is in favor of small government, their stance in regards to this matter does not exactly scream smaller government. No one should have the power to deem what is entertainment or moral for an entire city.
    lol

As silly as the league is, I am lovin' their spokesperson's response to all of this. It's almost as if the league specifically picked the market, because they knew the theocracy would respond and they'd get some publicity out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    lol

As silly as the league is, I am lovin' their spokesperson's response to all of this. It's almost as if the league specifically picked the market, because they knew the theocracy would respond and they'd get some publicity out of it.
    I know, right? Genius.

15. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

I think there needs to be a huge stink over this. Lack of family values has gone too far this time.

See how that kind of logic works both ways. If you are going to make an arguement, it has to be better than that. Let me help you get started Spartan, what are the three top reasons why you want an LFL team in OKC. Be honest.
    1 Because I have a right to enjoy watching lingerie football.
    2 Because Joe Blow down the street also has that same right.
    3 Because you conversely also have a right to not enjoy lingerie football if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    1 Because I have a right to enjoy watching lingerie football.
    2 Because Joe Blow down the street also has that same right.
    3 Because you conversely also have a right to not enjoy lingerie football if you don't want to.
    You missed the whole point Spartan. I asked you the top three reason YOU wanted to watch the LFL, not why Joe Blow wanted to watch the LFL. Now be honest, why do you want to watch the LFL in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    lol

This is only news in OKC. The rest of the world doesn't care.

18. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

You missed the whole point Spartan. I asked you the top three reason YOU wanted to watch the LFL, not why Joe Blow wanted to watch the LFL. Now be honest, why do you want to watch the LFL in OKC?
    Kerry, what you're wanting me to say is something either chauvinist or of a sexual nature, and there are people who would be attracted to it for reasons of that nature but the truth is I really do think it could be quality entertainment. It would be funny to watch, and it would be another league that OKC can compete against the likes of Dallas, Philly, and Seattle. Maybe even an opportunity to steal another one of Seattle's teams such as the legendary Seattle Seduction. I think that have the Oklahoma City Oooh Ooooh Oooohs play the Tampa Temptation during the Super Bowl halftime would be great publicity for OKC as a cool and hip place for young people. Guys who are recent college grads would be attracted by that a hell of a lot more than family values, fast food joints, and dirt muddin or whatever wholesome Mick-approved fun we're supposed to get around here.

If I did have a chauvinist reason to support the LFL, what gives? You can play that game with anything. You can be condescending toward someone for any reason. I am Catholic, but say someone wished they had a Catholic church near their house (they can be far and few between on the far southside) and then someone could ask me why I wanted a Catholic church just so they could bash that reason and religion as a whole. You could do the same thing for shopping, because people need to start being more frugal and the concept of frivolous shopping bothers some people around here. But is that reason to expressly avoid getting a Saks? Of course not. That would be a boon to your city. A catholic church would be a boon. And the LFL would be a boon. If we're truly a big league city then we need amenities and events for people of all types of tastes and interests. Just because you don't approve of something doesn't mean that you can prevent someone else from having it. You might not want the LFL but we all want the publicity, profile, and the interest that the LFL could give our city. Chances are we want those young college-educated guys too.

Spartan you hit the nail on the head.

This is only news in OKC. The rest of the world doesn't care.
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...rom=blog_last3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_782920.html

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnew...oma-city_b3123

http://msn.foxsports.com/football/st...ootball-League

http://www.holytaco.com/oklahoma-cit...d-cox-dont-mix

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle..._expansio.html

and on and on...

Obviously, no one CARES if they come to OKC or not, but it did get the league mentioned on about every sports related site that exists, even if they just republished the AP article exactly. Some did do commentary on it, though. This is a very small operation and they got some very disproportionate coverage out of this. They got access to press they don't normally get, even if it's relatively nominal and fleeting.

Controversy certainly is beneficial to this league and they did a great job of knowing exactly where sexuality would offend people.

Kerry, what you're wanting me to say is something either chauvinist or of a sexual nature, and there are people who would be attracted to it for reasons of that nature but the truth is I really do think it could be quality entertainment. It would be funny to watch, and it would be another league that OKC can compete against the likes of Dallas, Philly, and Seattle. Maybe even an opportunity to steal another one of Seattle's teams such as the legendary Seattle Seduction. I think that have the Oklahoma City Oooh Ooooh Oooohs play the Tampa Temptation during the Super Bowl halftime would be great publicity for OKC as a cool and hip place for young people. Guys who are recent college grads would be attracted by that a hell of a lot more than family values, fast food joints, and dirt muddin or whatever wholesome Mick-approved fun we're supposed to get around here.

If I did have a chauvinist reason to support the LFL, what gives? You can play that game with anything. You can be condescending toward someone for any reason. I am Catholic, but say someone wished they had a Catholic church near their house (they can be far and few between on the far southside) and then someone could ask me why I wanted a Catholic church just so they could bash that reason and religion as a whole. You could do the same thing for shopping, because people need to start being more frugal and the concept of frivolous shopping bothers some people around here. But is that reason to expressly avoid getting a Saks? Of course not. That would be a boon to your city. A catholic church would be a boon. And the LFL would be a boon. If we're truly a big league city then we need amenities and events for people of all types of tastes and interests. Just because you don't approve of something doesn't mean that you can prevent someone else from having it. You might not want the LFL but we all want the publicity, profile, and the interest that the LFL could give our city. Chances are we want those young college-educated guys too.
    Spartan, you make many good points but they don't counter my previous point that the LFL is just another is a long line of novelty type sport attractions which wouldn't last more than a couple of years. When you try to invent a new sport (and this is even if it's football) the public is usually in it only for the short run. The novelty wears off and they start losing big bucks and fold.

22. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Spartan, you make many good points but they don't counter my previous point that the LFL is just another is a long line of novelty type sport attractions which wouldn't last more than a couple of years. When you try to invent a new sport (and this is even if it's football) the public is usually in it only for the short run. The novelty wears off and they start losing big bucks and fold.
    Oh, definitely. We were gung-ho a few months ago for a Bricktown Grand Prix. That wouldn't have lasted forever either, but it would have been a cool novelty to set OKC out from the competition and get us some UNIQUE points.

Oh, definitely. We were gung-ho a few months ago for a Bricktown Grand Prix. That wouldn't have lasted forever either, but it would have been a cool novelty to set OKC out from the competition and get us some UNIQUE points.
    Comparing Grand Prix events which have been held for decades to a new "sport" like this is a little bit of a stretch, Spartan. At least a Grand Prix would have a better track record. And no, that wasn't meant as a pun.

I really doubt that people considering moving to OKC or even businesses considering a move would say "Wow, LFL, lets move there now."

Kerry, what you're wanting me to say is something either chauvinist or of a sexual nature, and there are people who would be attracted to it for reasons of that nature but the truth is I really do think it could be quality entertainment. It would be funny to watch, and it would be another league that OKC can compete against the likes of Dallas, Philly, and Seattle.
    I wasn't trying to get you to say anything other than the truth. I have often said if there was a 'Pick up Sticks' league I would want a team in OKC. I like the spirit of competition as well. However, I suspect many people that want the LFL could care less about competition. They don't care which team is on the field so long as they are wearing minimal clothing. Even the names suggested by potential season ticket holders were all sexual in nature which tells me I am correct about my assumption. Not one person suggest Wranglers, Twisters, Energy, Calvary, or similar name. It was all innuendo.

Why should the city provide a venue for the carnal satisfaction of a small group of people? The line has to be drawn somewhere and I think on one side of the line is competition and entertainment and on the other side of the line is lust. Make no mistake; most of the people wanting the LFL are in it for the lust. If I am wrong, let's throw full uniforms on those women and see how many people show up.

25. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

Kerry, you're so off-base on this one it's not even funny. I'm surprised, honestly, that such a usually well-thought-out poster isn't seeing beyond her own nose on this one.

From the Lost Ogle:

Yeah, I guess you can say it was a fun — and extremely disappointing — week.
    Anyway, to put some closure on the LFL in OKC fiasco/debacle/”How’d we screw this up?” situation, we asked League Chairman Mitchell Mortaza for an interview in the form of a Lost Ogle Q&A. He graciously accepted.
    After the jump, find out why the LFL wanted to expand in Oklahoma City, who would have owned the team, and if someday we can steal their Seattle franchise.
    Q: Greetings from North Korea! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer some of our questions.
    When I first wrote about the LFL’s OKC expansion plans, I said “Hopefully more details on the team (and the probable effort by our city’s conservative leaders to block its arrival) will be announced soon.”
    Well, I guess you can say I wasn’t too surprised that the Mayor voiced his displeasure. That being said, how surprised were you? Have you encountered anything like this before?
    A: Shocked, that an elected official even from a conservative state such as Oklahoma would not take the time to explore the league prior to passing his own judgment and influencing others.
    -
    Q: Most of the LFL franchises are located in larger metropolitan areas like Dallas, LA or Chicago. Why do you want to expand in smaller markets like Oklahoma City or Tulsa, especially when plenty of other larger markets are still out there?
    A: We will continue to expand into major markets as well as second and third tier markets where we feel there is a void in relation to professional sports, especially a niche sports such as the LFL. Just in the past few days we have seen the public outcry to bring LFL football to OKC, in fact, over 70% voted to do so.
    -
    Q: Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Oklahoma?
    A: Yes. I have attended Sooner, Cowboy and Thunder games in preparation of possibly expanding into OKC. As well as touring the downtown area.
    -
    Q: If the LFL does expand here, is there an ownership group in place, or would it be owned by the league?
    A: We have a prominent commercial real estate developer that is based out of OKC that would have assumed ownership of the franchise.
    -
    Q: Where do you find players for the teams? Are they composed of locals, or is it a national recruitment effort?
    A: All LFL athletes are from the local market, although numerous current LFL athletes have uprooted their lives from other cities and moved for the chance to play LFL football.
    -
    Q: In an email to us, Mayor Cornett wrote there were many reasons he didn’t want the LFL in OKC. He said “some (are) obvious, some not so obvious.” I’ve heard that one of the not-so-obvious reasons is that the league is struggling financially. Is that true?
    A: Could not be further from the truth. In fact, in Fall 2009 (LFL’s inaugural season), despite the worst economy since the Great Depression that greatly impacted all major professional sports, the LFL thrived drawing nearly 30% higher than projected attendance including several near capacity crowds, 2nd in Primetime television ratings, record internet traffic, 2010 expansion markets (Baltimore and Orlando) and the most impressive stat was that we were profitable.
    Anyone who knows the business-side of professional sports, understands that unless you are the LA Lakers, NY Yankees or Dallas Cowboys it will be really tough to turn a profit, especially in your first season of operation. In 2010, the LFL has continued to exceed business projections securing a national television licensing deal with MTV Networks’, sell-out crowds and announcement of expansion into (4) markets for Fall 2011. One of which would have been OKC.
    Allegations of financial problems are being planted around OKC media by anonymous sources hoping to deflect from the Mayor’s very unpopular decision or alleging his decision was possibly based on financial problems at the league when it was obviously based on his ignorance of the brand. We would invite anybody from the Mayor’s office or elsewhere to come forward with any documents that show financial problems at the league. The reason the Mayor’s office has not said directly it is due to the league’s financial problems is because it is a falsehood.
    If the league were struggling financially, why are we having such aggressive growth?
    -
    Q: Can you address the concern some civic leaders have that the Lingerie Football League is allegedly degrading to women?
    A: Those individuals that have those feelings have obviously never been to an LFL game or watched it on television and certainly do not know our athletes. Nor do they understand that our athletes have a higher college graduate rating than the NBA, NFL or NHL further they are also not aware that our athletes are all former high-level college athletes and now come from all walks of life from Police Officers to Doctors to Lawyers to Military to Mothers
    I find it very ignorant of someone to pass judgment on something they obviously have no understanding of.
    -
    Q: What the about young nubile squads of scantily clad women performing suggestive dances in front of 20,000 people during an NBA game? Are they degrading to women?
    A: That is the irony, OKC Thunder cheerleaders are actually a lot more scantily-clad than LFL athletes and making suggestive sexual moves in front of families and children with no athletic basis. In contrast, LFL athletes wear far more conservative attire and are playing an actual sport. Perhaps the ‘good old boy’ network is more comfortable with women cheering rather than engaging in the actual sport.
    -
    Q: If the LFL does work out in Tulsa, can we get a discount on season tickets? Or at least get to be water boys?
    A: Certainly Tulsa is a consideration very far down the road, but currently we have far too much interest from other markets to continue to battle city officials who do not reflect the views of their constituency nor appreciate the value of an LFL franchise to the community in relation to revenues and jobs.
    -
    Q: Final question, lets say I’m elected mayor of Oklahoma City someday. Would you let me steal the Seattle franchise and move it to Oklahoma City? I promise it will work out. Thanks again for your time!
    A: LOL, as opposed to the Sonics that were struggling the LFL’s Seattle Mist are posting capacity crowds, so I doubt they will be moving anytime soon. Looking forward to the day we can re-consider OKC with you as the Mayor, finally some progressive thinking….

http://www.thelostogle.com/2010/11/1...ontent=Twitter

Thread Information