Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Avenue District

Default Re: Western Avenue District

This is such a great resource! Thanks mcca7596!!

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    This is such a great resource! Thanks mcca7596!!
    Of Course!

Quote Originally Posted by MidCenturyModOKC View Post
    Question for those who are more familiar with OKC than I am: Does the area between Western and Classen, NW 36th and NW 50th have a nick name or area identity? Is this a good area, how is the crime, etc...

This is an area that I am not too familiar with but holds a great deal of interest for me. I like the location because it is so close to Western, Great access to the highways, Lots of untouched bungalows and you can still find steals!

With a new identity this area could be an exciting urban residential option for young professionals who cannot afford Crown Heights or Edgemere but want to enjoy Western shopping and restaurants and be a part of that community.

Thanks for any info about this area!
    I actually live in this area and I think you nailed it with it being a great option for young professionals. It's super close to I-44 (and subsequently I-235). Western is a good area for young people, in addition to the bar scene thats at classen circle. Classen Curve, Penn Square, Bell-Isle shopping, 50-Penn make the shopping pretty good in this area. Chesapeake being right there, Valliance Bank tower, and 50-Penn also make business relatively close.

What I have noticed most about this area residentially is that it seems to be very street by street in terms of quality. In the 14 double-blocks (since Military technically divides everything between western and classen into two blocks) from 36th to 50th, there are probably 2 super nice streets (38th and 39th), a handful of average streets (like 46th which is pretty nice, but it helps that Horace Mann takes up the southeast block), some slightly run down streets like 47th and 45th. I can't remember which streets as a whole are really run down, there may not be any, but those houses sort of stick out. There are also some really rinky-dink houses in the area that are less than 750 sqft. In the area Probably 5% to 10% of the houses need to be tore down and rebuilt. Probably 40% to 60% need some serious renovation, but are solid enough structures that it is feasible. Maybe 15% to 25% need minor renovation, and then 5% to 10% are okay just like they are now.

Owning a house in the area, I'd love for all you to come buy it up and make it all nice and purty and increase my home value for me. TIA!!

4. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    That area is referred to as Helm Historical District south of 39th and Helm Farm north of 39th. This is a great breakdown of all inner-city northside neighborhoods done by Spartan on his blog a little over a year ago: http://downtownontherange.blogspot.c...hborhoods.html According to him, Helm Historical district is a very solid neighborhood but Helm Farm is a little rough, not dangerous though (in fact he has it right in the middle in his rating system).
    By the way, Platemaker should get some credit because he pointed me toward a map he made with all the neighborhood names, I just did the neighborhood/corridor health assessments (which the City of OKC hasn't done in FOREVER). The Helm Historic District is basically the "38th Street Promenade" which seemed very solid to me. I should have included a disclaimer that the only two things I didn't consider in my assessments were the school ratings in the neighborhood and crime reports, as those are also readily accessible, I just don't really care about the family stuff (although I at least imagine crime-neighborhood health should have a strong correlation).

Looks like there have been a few new stores added to the Western Ave in the 40th area. Also I see that The Wedge is now open for breakfast.

I had dinner at Sushi Neko last night and the traffic around the Western Avenue District was really impressive. I see this area continuing to grow. I have said it before but I see a ton of infill opportunities and also remodeling opportunities in the housing that surrounds this area! I hope to start a project this summer.

Nice little infill/reuse project to replace old tire shop and garage near 36th & Western with a floral shop:

8. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Thanks for the info Pete. I love the detaied maps. I live in this area and it will be a breath of fresh air to see the old tire shop go.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    By the way, Platemaker should get some credit because he pointed me toward a map he made with all the neighborhood names, I just did the neighborhood/corridor health assessments (which the City of OKC hasn't done in FOREVER). The Helm Historic District is basically the "38th Street Promenade" which seemed very solid to me. I should have included a disclaimer that the only two things I didn't consider in my assessments were the school ratings in the neighborhood and crime reports, as those are also readily accessible, I just don't really care about the family stuff (although I at least imagine crime-neighborhood health should have a strong correlation).
    I think it's actually called 38th Street Preservation now.

Is any of this area subject to Historical Preservation Issues if you build new construction or remodel a home within the area?

11. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Yes, especially on the east side of Western, as Crown Heights is specifically HP zoning. 38th is not on the National Register however it is a target of local preservation efforts, so that would also certainly be an issue (even if there lacks an HP framework, the planning department is at least competent enough to make that a primary consideration). However I think someone would have a lot more leeway on 37th or 39th west of Western.

Or at least that's what I can justify in my mind, which almost never is the way things actually work lol...

Haha Spartan - I feel the same way. My justifications almost never are the way things go.

I was only wondering because I have considered new construction around this area. I have specifically looked at vacant lots of NW 43rd just east of Western across from Will Rogers Parking and NW 40th between Western and Classen.

The structure would not be HP friendly so I want to avoid those regulations at all costs!

13. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Between Western and Classen should be fine. I also think you'd be surprised, as the Crown Heights 4-plex (a development that was welcomed by the neighborhood) is somewhat modern, though it also has a good HP component as well. Crown Heights HP seeks to preserve a very special style that lies somewhere between Art Deco and mid-century modern, so I don't know that you're going to specifically have zoning issues as long as you're not tearing down anything of significance.

Blog Entries

So, I drive through 36th and Western 1-3 times a week for various reasons and hadn't noticed the perpendicular signage on the retail shops. Have I been missing this for a very long time, or is this a recent development I overlooked? I love perpendicular signage (e.g. what's used in AA). I hate having to be right in front of the store to know what it is. Not that these signs are particularly readable from a great distance, but still, a step in the right direction...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0063-1.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1233

15. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Must be recent.

Looks very nice.

17. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Remind me who the owner of this is? He/she needs to get moved over to the good list, as all of the gradual improvements that have been made have been somewhat unexpected. This honestly was not a very nice property 3-4 years ago.

The cock of th walk sign has been up for well over a year

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    So, I drive through 36th and Western 1-3 times a week for various reasons and hadn't noticed the perpendicular signage on the retail shops. Have I been missing this for a very long time, or is this a recent development I overlooked? I love perpendicular signage (e.g. what's used in AA). I hate having to be right in front of the store to know what it is. Not that these signs are particularly readable from a great distance, but still, a step in the right direction...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0063-1.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1233
    That is definitely new signage. I happened to go by today and saw them working on those buildings. The signs are very readable as you drive by.

Blog Entries

Glad to know these are in fact new and not something I had been missing for awhile. Thanks everybody!

21. Default Re: Western Avenue District

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Remind me who the owner of this is? He/she needs to get moved over to the good list, as all of the gradual improvements that have been made have been somewhat unexpected. This honestly was not a very nice property 3-4 years ago.
    I believe that Chesapeake or one of their holding companies owns this. I live very close to there. It seems like they bought it 5 years ago and moved out the vintage clothing store that was there. The store employees were actually out on the corner protesting their being forced out.

This article says that Shannon Self (as Bird Run LLC) owns that property:

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-3518...Cs-demise.html

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Shawn was noting the white signs that hang off the building.
    Didnt even notice those in the pic, had to go back and look again

They need to reduce the curb radius on Eubanks down to 4 or 5 feet. In fact, they should do that all along Western.

Bike racks are sorely needed on Western.

Thread Information