Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 144 FirstFirst 1234567891055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Scissortail Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    No problem. It turned out so well that we intend to make it part of our standard practice to record these meetings. If we had a videographer willing to donate their time, we would make use of that as well.

I personally take great pride in the level of transparency that the streetcar/hub aspect of MAPS has had. I think that it contributes to people's support of our project.

Also, this particular meeting seemed as though it would hold a great deal of content that should be documented. We have an archival audio recording of a meeting regarding P180 issues/streetcar that could be put up too if people want it.
    When are the meetings Jeff, if they aren't too long, I could bring my FLIP HD on a tripod, that would be more than sufficient for web playback.

Updated acquisition map. They are making great progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Updated acquisition map. They are making great progress:

just a NOTE the brown section between parcels V3 and V4 is ODOT land. it is the off ramp from the old I40

When will they start demolishing the roads?

Phase I construction is due to commence 2nd Q of 2013 -- so in about a year I would imagine they'd start tearing up all that property.

An update from the MAP3 advisory board and parks subcommittee.

http://newsok.com/downtown-oklahoma-...rticle/3678358

This is a like.

The city is conducting a survey of buildings in the park's footprint to identify any that could qualify for the National Register of Historic Places. Lowe and others hope to incorporate into the park's design especially important or beautiful buildings, notably the citadel building the Salvation Army currently calls its local home and the city-owned Union Station, to give it immediate historical roots and added atmosphere.

Many of the older and mature trees will likely be kept. Efficient use of resources will be a hallmark of the park, and officials plan to use renewable energy sources for power when possible and to reuse rainwater as part of irrigation efforts.

7. Default Re: Central Park

That is very cool. It is very relieving to hear them taking that perspective - I think they clearly understand that this area is not the blank slate it was thought to be, does have an OKC heritage worth tapping into, and that can be a major resource the park should take advantage of.

I just think it's indicative that we actually have some members of the MAPS3 advisory boards who are interested in doing a good job as opposed to some (can you say convention center?) who are more in tune with special interests.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I just think it's indicative that we actually have some members of the MAPS3 advisory boards who are interested in doing a good job as opposed to some (can you say convention center?) who are more in tune with special interests.
    The Salvation Army building is nice, but I think the two Film buildings have more potential for interaction with the park than the Salvation Army building. I think they shoul look at how the historic buildings have potential for re-use in the park. I am all for keeping historic buildings but the placement of the Salvation Army Building and its function does not bode well for a park.

Union Station is definitely a potential destination building that has lots of potential for multiple kinds of gatherings and uses. I don't think the park should have a 3 par golf course. One in a park along the river would be a lot better use.

I like that they are looking to keep as many trees as possible. There are a lot of massive Catalpa trees between the old and new I-40 that are amazing!

I was hoping they would choose a different LA firm due to Hargreave already doing the massively over budget Native American Culture Center. I feel there were better firms that are more cutting edge that could have brought a different perspective to the city that are known for using historic buildings. Hargreave had the upper hand with the pre Maps design. I hope they don't use that design. It was very basic and destroyed a lot of buildings and put a modern restaurant. We have seen in the Myriad Gardens how that has not worked. The Film Row buildings could be reused as restaurants with their prime locations and potential back patios.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    ...I was hoping they would choose a different LA firm due to Hargreave already doing the massively over budget Native American Culture Center. I feel there were better firms that are more cutting edge that could have brought a different perspective to the city that are known for using historic buildings. Hargreave had the upper hand with the pre Maps design. I hope they don't use that design. It was very basic and destroyed a lot of buildings and put a modern restaurant. We have seen in the Myriad Gardens how that has not worked. The Film Row buildings could be reused as restaurants with their prime locations and potential back patios.
    A little confused here about parts of your post... but their website doesn't mention LA as an office:
    http://www.hargreaves.com/firm/index.php
    With offices in San Francisco, California; Cambridge, Massachusetts; New York, New York; and London; the firm serves an international clientele, and its projects address a broad range of scales and types.
    Didn't realize that they are doing the AICC, while it is severely over budget, is that because of them? How have their other park designs fared concerning budget issues (like the Houston park they did that was often mentioned as the template for ours)?

Lastly, what about the Myriad Gardens has not worked? It seems to be a huge success. Granted they lost the casual restaurant due to budget issues and they went ahead and built the upscale one and then tried to find an operator to fit what they had built Instead of the other way around but I thought I read recently in the Oklahoman or Gazette that they had found an operator??? But again, is that Hargreave's fault or the MG redesign folks changing things along the way???

I thought they were going to look at possible changing the size, location, or scope of the park due to the Myriad Gardens revamp? I guess the Mayor pushed it through because it is the heart of his poorly planned Core to Shore goals.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I thought they were going to look at possible changing the size, location, or scope of the park due to the Myriad Gardens revamp? I guess the Mayor pushed it through because it is the heart of his poorly planned Core to Shore goals.
    I never heard any talk about changing the size or location of the park, and I've been at a lot of MAPS meetings. There was some talk about changing the scope, because of the programming at the Myriad Gardens and the desire to avoid overlap. That's reasonable, and I hope it's something the Hargreave group will take into consideration.

Regardless of what you think about Core to Shore, I believe the park will be a success. I've been amazed at how utilized the Myriad Gardens are on weekends. It's just a shame there's going to be such an impediment to moving from the Myriad Gardens to the Central Park.

Agree

This isn't exactly a windfall but it certainly doesn't hurt the funding issues for the park.

http://newsok.com/epa-grant-frees-up...rticle/3678770

The one change they did make was the decision to get the park to a very basic state of completion early on, then do all the programming and heavy lifting in a second phase seveal years down the road.

That makes perfect sense given all the moving parts and the fact that area is still very rough.

political barf cleanup on aisle three please. barf cleanup on aisle three please.

back on topic .. last time I was in OKC I drove around the upper park area. Aside from Union Station, it's got no where to go but up. I look forward to taking the next generation there for playtime in a few years.

I was in Overland Park Kansas this past weekend attending one of my daughter's soccer tournaments. They have a world class soccer complex there. OKC and the proposed new Central Park could benefit from having a venue like this. It would be a great draw and revenue generating facility. Hosting regional tournaments and local soccer club activities year round...

Link Overland Park Soccer Complex...

About the Soccer Complex – City of Overland Park

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    I was in Overland Park Kansas this past weekend attending one of my daughter's soccer tournaments. They have a world class soccer complex there. OKC and the proposed new Central Park could benefit from having a venue like this. It would be a great draw and revenue generating facility. Hosting regional tournaments and local soccer club activities year round...
    That is what is proposed (or atleast was at one time) for Prominade Park that will be on the south side of I-40 (connected by the I-40 pedestrian bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That is what is proposed (or atleast was at one time) for Prominade Park that will be on the south side of I-40 (connected by the I-40 pedestrian bridge).
    Could you refresh my memory with old renderings if they are at your disposal? Thanks.

20. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post

Link Overland Park Soccer Complex...

About the Soccer Complex – City of Overland Park
    We already have that at South Lakes Park. City of Oklahoma City | South Lakes Park

21. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It is such a beautiful park! It's just too bad it is in Texas.
    I can see where it can be confusing but South Lakes is at SW 119th & Meridian.

It's just south of Will Rogers airport a few miles.

Don't worry, Sid. I got the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    We already have that at South Lakes Park. City of Oklahoma City | South Lakes Park
    No, we really don't have that, nor does any other city except for Overland Park...This is a world class facility not just flood plains turned into soccer fields.

Why regurgitate the Myriad Gardens on a bigger scale?

Why divert development away from the CBD and Bricktown, which has not seen it's potential?

Why the build it and they will come mentality?

25. Default Re: Central Park

I agree with Pete that this course of action makes the most sense. However, doing it for the benefit of the CC/at the expense of the park, that is wrong-headed. Really the shuffling around of funds should have benefited the later Phase 1b of the modern transit project, which will be producing the most immediate economic development gains.

Thread Information