Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iguana

Default Re: Chica's Closed at Nichols Hills Plaza - Reopening in April As Iguana

Just posted by warreng in Suburban Development:

Wednesday, March 14,2012
    Iguana Mexican Grill opening second location at Nichols Hills Plaza.
    by Gazette staff

Mexican food lovers barely will have time to miss the closing of Chicas Mexican Cafe in Nichols Hills Plaza, now that the Iguana Mexican Grill has announced plans to open a second location in Chicas’ old site at 6482 Avondale Drive.

Scheduled to open in the spring, the new Iguana location will offer a limited menu of what is offered at its restaurant at 9 N.W. Ninth in Automobile Alley. Five dinner specials will be available each week, along with its renowned array of tacos, burritos and mouth-watering salsas.

“The original Iguana, located on Western Avenue in Nichols Hills, was a family staple for this area of Oklahoma City,” said Robert Painter, who co-owns the restaurant along with Steve Mason. “Steve and I are thrilled to come back to the neighborhood where it all started.”

The Iguana Lounge closed its Western Avenue location several years ago before the brand was revived in 2009 as the Iguana Mexican Grill.

http://okgazette.com/oklahoma/m/#_Article

Default Re: Chica's Closed at Nichols Hills Plaza - Reopening in April As Iguana

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Probably done quickly on his phone...

Seems perfectly clear to me.

Sure wish I knew what the heck was going on at NH Plaza. Anybody notice if they are getting close to opening the new grocery in the old Crescent Market space?
    I'm not sure but I still don't totally understand the purpose of opening up a new grocery store, especially when they just opened up whole foods a block away. Getting rid of the Nichols Hills Drug store fountain was a terrible mistake IMO. That place was loved by many people and unlike Crescent, was actually a profitable place.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I'm not sure but I still don't totally understand the purpose of opening up a new grocery store, especially when they just opened up whole foods a block away. Getting rid of the Nichols Hills Drug store fountain was a terrible mistake IMO. That place was loved by many people and unlike Crescent, was actually a profitable place.
    There is more discussion about the grocery and the Plaza in general in the thread linked below:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26757&page=3

Iguana Cafe is now open at NHP - I had lunch there today. It was unbelievably noisy inside, so we ate outdoors. There is a loud speaker (not loudspeaker) playing music above the tables, and the waitress agreed to turn it down for us. She also said that they plan to affix carpeting on interior table bottoms to absorb the sound. I had a taco salad which was fantastic, but it was served on an icy-cold plate. The waitress was attentive and personable, and left a bottle of tap water on the table so we could refill our own glasses.

Not great, but it sufficed for a quick, nutritious, flavorful lunch.

Default Re: Iguana

The Iguana in Nichols Hills is closing as a restaurant and will continue to operate as a catering and events center:

They seem to be struggling a bit since their last change in management and complete turnover in staff so its not surprising that they closed that location as a dining option.

HangryHippo Guest

I hope they're able to get things turned around. I used to love Iguana, but it's been really hit or miss lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I hope they're able to get things turned around. I used to love Iguana, but it's been really hit or miss lately.
    yah I use to be there 1-2 times a week.. use to hit the nichols hills location every saturday for lunch actually. until they got rid of the GM and then most of the staff. I have been back twice since. both times were not good experiences. I miss the old staff and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    yah I use to be there 1-2 times a week.. use to hit the nichols hills location every saturday for lunch actually. until they got rid of the GM and then most of the staff. I have been back twice since. both times were not good experiences. I miss the old staff and experience.
    Yep. The Auto Alley location has been long suffering... went back a couple weeks ago and had the worst experience yet. We decided to not come back unless big changes are made.

Blog Entries

The downtown Iguana was very marginal last time I was there about a month ago. If not for the still excellent Margaritas it would have been a bad experience. Having a couple drinks made the food taste better. :-)

It's amazing how few good Mexican places there are in OKC.

Big opportunity for someone to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's amazing how few good Mexican places there are in OKC.

Big opportunity for someone to do it right.
    Personally I think Mexican food here is pretty good compared to back East. It may leave a lot to be desired though if you are used to California or Texas Mexican food.

There are some good options at the dive-y end: Abel's & Casa Perico.

Then after that, what? For the masses, Ted's I guess. Maybe Abuelo's?

Iguana has been popular but to me it's just passable. Nice setting on 9th but otherwise I was not overly impressed.

What am I missing?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Personally I think Mexican food here is pretty good compared to back East. It may leave a lot to be desired though if you are used to California or Texas Mexican food.
    There isn't a single place I can think of on the east coast that comes remotely close to what I would call Mexican food. California leaves a lot to be desired for me as well. But Texas does it right. And I have my haunts here in OKC that I can't go without.

16. Default Re: Iguana

1492 is Latin American, but it has plenty of familiar Mexican dishes. But I agree, all it takes is a trip down to Dallas/Ft. Worth to realize how few good/nice Mexican restaurants we have. I'm all for going to Margarita's, Abels, etc., but really surprising there aren't more of "nicer" places. I guess Mama Rojas is the only place that really fits that bill, but I was really underwhelmed the last time I went there.

Is Cantina Laredo any good? I rarely hear it get mentioned. I've had it in other markets and I enjoyed it pretty well. It is owned by El Chico though which is terrible Mexican food.

I agree that OKC needs an "upscale" Mexican restaurant. I was hoping Tamuzel would have been that but that concept was executed so poorly I really wonder what the owners were thinking. Mama Rojas was underwhelming last time I was there. I liked Ted's better.

I believe that big gap is why Iguana has been so popular. What else competes with it? 1492 is probably the only place; maybe Mama Roja.

My sister suggested meeting at Pablano Grill last time I was in town and I was shocked by the interior. Just a simple bar with no real bar area; like someone decided to do it as cheaply as possible. At least Ted's offers great tortilla's and big portions. Not excited by either of those things but at least they are draws.

Not a big fan of chain restaurants but seems like there is a pretty big void here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pappasito's step into it.

Iguana and Mama Roja's are my favorite Mexican food restaurants in the metro. I have never had a bad experience at either so I am a bit surprised to see others posting about Iguana not being good. I always go to Pablano over Ted's just because Ted's is always busy and Pablano is almost exactly the same and there is always less of a wait time.

I haven't been to Mama Roja and I tend to be more favorable towards Hal Smith's places than some here, so I'll give it a try.

Really, most the time I go to a place like Iguana I just want a cold beer or Margarita with good chips and salsa; the entrees are not the big draw. I'd much rather have a nice, fun setting.

This is why I generally dislike Ted's (I know it's Hal's). Way too cramped and everything seems so rushed. And no bar (at least the ones I've seen).

Maybe I need to give Mama Rojas another try. Last time I went, I enjoyed the atmosphere pretty well but wasn't huge on the food. I liked Ted's and Alfredos better. Possibly I just hit it on a bad day.

Abel's is, hands down, the best mexican food in OKC, imo. And it's not even close. My one trip to Iguana about a year ago was a pretty bad one. Wait was long and food was less than average. As far as the chains go, I think they're all trash, especially Abuelo's. Haven't been to the Chuy's in Norman, but I remember enjoying it in DFW several years ago. We really do need better Tex-Mex options. Something like Lupe Tortilla's in Houston, would be great here.

Iguana has really good chips and salsa. But, every time I have been I've had a bad experience. I make better Mexican food at home. And I always wondered if I was only having bad experiences because I'm pescitarian. But it seems that meat eaters aren't toi impressed either. It was a big trend to go to Taco Tuesdays, I wonder if it still is?

^

I really like Casa Perico, primarily because they serve that warm habanero salsa (have to request it) and have those great frosted goblets of beer with the lime pulp. Abel's has the same goblets as well.

It's funny because last time I was in town I just happened into Abel's as I had time to kill in the area before an appointment, and I thought wow! this is such a hidden gem. I was there in the late afternoon and the place wasn't busy and I thought I had quite the discovery. Little did I know lots of people love the place.

But what if you want to meet a group of people and have margs and beers and great chips and salsa in a fun bar setting?

Mama Roja and Iguana seem to be about it. That's pretty shocking.

Yeah, Abel's is my favorite! They have the best (free) relish. You can tell its hand sliced and made in house. So good!

But for sure. I live near the 9th location and I so badly want it to be better. Because it does have that "cool factor" and the great location.

Thread Information