Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 105 Degrees (closed)

Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    Please do not confuse a vegetarian with a vegan...
    I don't understand your comment about my post... I know the difference between vegans and vegetarians so what's the deal. Are you saying 105 Degrees is a vegan-only place? I was under the impression that they offered mostly vegetarian dishes, so I said "vegetarian" in my post. But if they are all the way vegan then okay, their target market is an even more ridiculously small <1% of the US population, and probably a much smaller fraction even then that in meat-hungry Oklahoma. At some point a niche market is so small it's really not much of a market at all and becomes virtually unsustainable from a business standpoint.... I have no idea if they are having problems or not as has been posted, but that certainly seems like a very tough market to be in to me.

I've been to 105 twice, had three course dinners both times. Liked one course each time - the rest turned into very expensive trash. Too expensive to keep trying. I think a lot of their income comes from the culinary academy so it may be able to float the restaurant.

A bit off the topic but does anyone else think that if (or when) that shopping center fills up with shops it is going to woefully in need of more parking? Just doesn't seem like there will be enough when more shops open up.

I actually speak with the owner on friend terms, (and I mean the owner and chef and not the manager) he has told me the restaurant is surprisingly doing well here in Oklahoma City. I agree, that I never have seen this place packed, but I'm sure once more people know about the new Classen Curve and the chefs invent more interesting dishes to their menu people will start to want to come in more. I think like any other restaurant they should offer daily or seasonal offerings. I am an omnivore and I won't call myself a 'pescetarian' (I only eat raw fish, shellfish, eggs, and dairy) but I eat mostly veggies, and only eat fish twice a week. I know a lot of people who are vegans though, but like someone mentioned feel that it is a bit too pricey for them. I hope 105 degrees stays in business because it is my favourite restaurant.

5. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

If the owner is telling you they are "surprisingly doing well," then either they had terribly low expectations or he's lying. Restaurants run on extremely low margins and combine that with low patronage and its obvious the place is a financial drain. Hopefully they have the backing to keep it afloat long enough to see what happens in the area.

Yeah, I really hope AM keeps him afloat if necessary. This guy is the premiere chef in the world for this type of cuisine and is putting OKC on the culinary map. I'm not a big fan of vegetarian/vegan whatever. Their food is pretty good at 105 though. I think it could really survive once CC is full and Whole Foods is open. I'm sure the school helps keep it afloat as someone mentioned, but heck, what are the students going to do when they graduate from the academy if they see the restaurant half dead all the time? Open their own struggling raw restaurant? I would think at some point, the student base would die off if the restaurant wasn't doing well. Hope they make it.

I agree that the occupancy of Classen Curve and completion of Whole Foods is vital to his and the areas long term viability. I have shopped in other Whole Food markets in other cities and love them.

This place is terrible.

I felt so ripped off at their prices, portions, and the food in general, if you can even call it that.
    The only thing good about the place was the smoothies, and that was mediocre at best.

Had the "lasagna" and I would have rather they hand me the raw vegetables instead of screw it up with some bland, tasteless sauce.

I would've felt so much better boiling some baby carrots and eating that at home.

9. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by Armani View Post
    I would've felt so much better boiling some baby carrots and eating that at home.
    but that's not "Cutting Edge Living Cuisine"

meh, what happened to the 'rolleyes' icon?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm sure the school helps keep it afloat as someone mentioned, but heck, what are the students going to do when they graduate from the academy if they see the restaurant half dead all the time? Open their own struggling raw restaurant? I would think at some point, the student base would die off if the restaurant wasn't doing well. Hope they make it.
    I wouldn't think that only a raw food restaurant can serve the kinds of dishes they are learning to prepare. There are probably plenty of traditional restaurants that would like to have options for that kind of food on their menu.

In his defense.. only 10% of the students that go there are from OK. Majority are from other states. The restaurant is doing alright and the school is in fact keeping them in great business. The business is doing fine. New businesses take time to establish, and just because this place isn't the 'norm' for Oklahoma doesn't mean it won't make it. Also, the prices are what they because they make sure what they bring out is made from the best ingredients possible. The restaurant tries to always buy local and organic. So, they help the local farmers as well. Maybe it's not for everyone obviously.. but still doesn't mean it won't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I prefer a simpler table with two main categories:

(A) Meat & Taters folk
    (B) Taters folk

Offered for your consideration by one of the A team
    funny stuff

Its not so much that this is a vegetarian place, but more because its a raw, vegetarian place. I can do a good vegetarian meal every now and then, but an uncooked vegetarian meal is a whole different story. As I said earlier, Im guessing they have been given some rent concessions.

I love raw vegan food, it's my favourite and I love 105! I don't think there is anything wrong with this place except for some items on the menu not having enough flavour, haha! The owner comes into town for events you should ask him for a change.

15. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

I'm definitely of the opinion this place must be hemorrhaging money. We drove through the curve last night (8pm on a Friday) - Upper Crust (packed), Republic (packed), 501 (pretty busy), Flip's (packed - we ate there) ..... And ..... (drum roll) 105 Degrees literally had one table with two people.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Honestly, I think they've been going out of business since the week they opened. By that I mean I doubt they have made enough to cover their daily operating expenses, let alone repaying the initial investment and making a profit. Like many businesses, it will simply be a matter of pride as to when they give up and fold.
    I'm not surprised. They do nothing to market their business at all in the way of advertising. I'm not sure what they are thinking will happen if they don't get the word out far and wide. They are a "destination" business, but they have relied entirely on free media coverage and seem to do little to advertise themselves throughout the region. As such a niche destination, one would think they would need to advertise to reach their target market.

I did not realize this but Forbes magazine has listed 105 Degrees as one of the best new restaurants in the country:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/11/bes..._slide_12.html

http://eater.com/archives/2010/02/12...he-country.php

18. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    I did not realize this but Forbes magazine has listed 105 Degrees as one of the best new restaurants in the country:
    I guess that says more about Forbes than 105 Degrees.

I've never eaten here.. Never crossed my mind to try it.. Just doesn't sound appetizing..

I was just talking to one of the investors and I didn't want to be rude and ask if the restaurant was going out of business. But, this person did tell me about some new concepts they wanted to try there, like a coffee bar, and gave me no indication they were closing their doors anytime soon.

It's not a place I would want to eat every week, but even as a non-vegetarian or vegan and not that adventurous an eater, I found the food very interesting and the flavors unique. I would actually recommend it for people who want to broaden their dining experience.

21. Default Re: 105 Degrees

Well, if you've been wanting to try this place but didn't want to spend alot, here's your chance...... http://livingsocial.com/deals/18752-...11_33_302email

Default Re: 105 Degrees

I had lunch here last week.
    I will preface my review with "I need warm food this time of year!"

I went with my boss, he likes to try new things.
    He ordered the Portabello sliders, I ordered the Mediterranean Hummus wraps.
    After 15 minutes or so, the waitress informed us they were out of the bread for the sliders, so he chose the Lasagna instead. We realized each order is made by hand, and a few dishes had just been served to others so they just now rec'd our order so must be the reason for the delay to convey no bread.
    My dish was presented as three small wraps (Kale), with roasted red peppers, julienned zuch, kalamata olives inside, hummus on the side and I chose Tabouli as my side option.
    Very flavorful -- I don't normally eat large portions, but I still left feeling hungry -- as if the wraps were my appetizer and I hoped for at least warm soup!

The place is very aesthetic. I was sitting next to the window, and I think I felt the a/c come on! The waitstaff talks in hushed tones. The sound of the blender to make the fruit smoothies was VERY loud and constant!

My boss' Lasagna was ample and flavorful, he was satisfied.

I like the idea, I like the appearance and the smoothies & juices & teas are appealing, They have a cute little shop inside selling nuts and oils, and those huge glass straws, but I won't plan to go again until summer! How HOT is 105 degrees? Maybe they could at least serve warm tea in the winter? BRRR~!

Default Re: 105 Degrees

Me and the misses are vegetarian. We had to go eat somewhere else because 105's food was so gross.

105 is adding ovens and cooking equipment to be able to offer cooked meals now. I couldnt tell from the release if it included meat or just to be able to cook veggies. Either way, a smart move.

place was busier than usual Friday night...

I would really like to see his concept succeed here.

Thread Information