Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toby Keith's

1. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Touche!

The kernel of my thought was that arrogance and/or condesension are less than desirable qualities ... and perhaps I was guilty of that, too. It just irks me that some seem to think that people like Toby Keith, and/or his new bar & grill, don't belong in their personal "vision" of Bricktown. Nonna' & Toby's places complement each other, as I see it. But, I didn't say or mean to imply that all Oklahoman's are either rednecks or part of the redneck scene, as you put it, even though those features are certainly a part of the mix into which we are all a part. But, then, it just may be that that is just one of many stupid ideas of mine.

Have a nice day!

Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

I went last night and had a great time. I had my doubts about the concept and the "redneck" appeal. I don't think that is what is happening at all. I can't speak on the food, which will no doubt make or break the place, but it definitely will be a great small venue to watch live music. Very wide open on the inside. My only, suggestion would have been to make that overhang over the patio an area to sit and have drinks on the canal. I forgor how much I enjoyed listening to live country music, and if that makes me a "hick" so be it.

Patrick Guest

"Grand opening draws crowd in Bricktown

By Brandy McDonnell
    The Oklahoman

A soldier bound for Iraq, newlyweds and visiting Iowans were among people who crowded into Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill for Wednesday's grand opening.

Lines formed about noon for the 3 p.m. opening and stretched westward throughout the evening.

Waitresses brought water, and many patrons opened umbrellas to help stave off the heat.

Kirby and Debbie Jestes, both 37, of Bartlesville joined the line about 1:45 p.m., and were among the first to take in the honky-tonk.

The couple and their children, Katie, 4, and Jacob, 21 months, were on their way back from vacationing in Dallas.

"It's fun. We've never done anything silly like this, so we thought, 'Oh, well,'" Kirby Jestes said. "We've never been to opening day for anything because I'm usually not off work."

Judy and Harry DeFord of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, relaxed with drinks on a patio overlooking the Bricktown Canal.

Judy DeFord, 60, said her group came to visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial and National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

"We were just lucky, I guess," she said. "It's extremely exciting."

Army Spc. Boyd Brack of the 1/11 Armored Cavalry Regiment out of Fort Irwin, Calif., planned his two-week break from serving in Iraq around visiting the new eatery.

Brack said he arrived in Edmond on June 8 to stay with his parents and tried to visit the restaurant then. But it didn't open until Wednesday, the last day of his break. The Pecos, Texas, soldier is scheduled to travel back to Camp Liberty in Baghdad today.

"I came here to see my parents, and I saw Toby Keith about three weeks ago at Camp Victory. And he told us he was opening his bar, and I came down here and sure enough," Brack said. "I'm a huge Toby Keith fan. I love Toby Keith because he's a great supporter of U.S. troops."

Brack got an "American Soldier Special," to go.

The special offers a free cheeseburger, "freedom fries" and soda to active and veteran military members.

Duncan residents Bradley Sterling, 37, and Marsha Loge Sterling, 30, started their honeymoon with a visit to the bar and grill. They were married at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in Lawton and saw the restaurant's grand opening sign as they traveled to Oklahoma City. The staff gave them two free drinks.

Donna Harjo, 45, of Oklahoma City said the grilled chicken sandwich and memorabilia were worth her wait. She said the only thing lacking was an appearance by the singing superstar.

"I drive by it every day, and could not wait for it to open. I took off work today so I could be here," Harjo said. "I'm disappointed he was not here, but I can understand why."

By 10 p.m., at least 1,500 people had been served. "

Patrick Guest

I like the way that Toby Keith's has two front sides.....parking lot side and canal side. This is what I was hoping for for Bass Pro. I had hoped Bass Pro would've been built directly on the canal with parking in the back, with entrances both on the canal side and parking lot side.

terrared Guest

My husband's band is playing there next month on a Saturday. Their fanclub is bringing up a bus full of fans not to mention the dozens of fans that are coming up on Friday to spend the entire weekend in Bricktown, staying in the hotels, then shopping, eating, drinking -- spending money in your town. Maybe we are a bunch of rednecks -- but that's okay with me. I'm just happy to be getting out of Doo-Dah for a weekend!

terrared...

what's the name of the band?
    website?

thanks

p.s. hope you have a great time in okc.

terrared Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdweaver
    terrared...

what's the name of the band?
    website?

thanks

p.s. hope you have a great time in okc.
    Thanks jdweaver. Kinda interesting that the lead guitar player for the band has a last name of Weaver!!! Anyhow, the band is named ARROWHEAD. You can look them up at www.arrowheadband.com

The kernel of my thought was that arrogance and/or condesension are less than desirable qualities ... and perhaps I was guilty of that, too. It just irks me that some seem to think that people like Toby Keith, and/or his new bar & grill, don't belong in their personal "vision" of Bricktown. Nonna' & Toby's places complement each other, as I see it. But, I didn't say or mean to imply that all Oklahoman's are either rednecks or part of the redneck scene, as you put it, even though those features are certainly a part of the mix into which we are all a part. But, then, it just may be that that is just one of many stupid ideas of mine.
    OK, cool. I didn't mean to sound particularly harsh. I just don't want this to get blown up where Toby Keith's is given more significance than it has and for it to be treated as some sort of defining OKC icon. It is not.

And, as far as I my personal "vision" is concerned, I have no real beef with Toby's or its redneck theme, as much as I feel that the way in which it was done just continues Lower Bricktown's departure from the bricktown aesthetic as a whole. Honestly, if this was a development of converted use in bricktown proper, I'd probably be all for it. The fact that it is not "urban" has less to do with its theme and more to do with its design and placement. I just don’t feel that it is bringing anything new to OKC in style and atmosphere, which, and maybe I'm wrong, was what I thought we taxed ourselves to do. These developers are benefiting from a great deal of public investment, but have chosen to just recreate Memorial Road downtown. But, I probably just sound like a broken record on that point and what's done is done.

9. Default Re: Toby Keith's restaurant opens Wednesday

Patrick,

Is the pic you posted part of the Oklahoma story (I do recall seeing a b/w version in the story)? If it is, I'm sure that I couldn't use it at my downtown okc website since the Oklahoman is right proud of their copyright! But, if not, where did you get it ... if it's not copyrighted, I'd like to see the source image to see it is better quality than what you posted, and maybe use it.

Doug

I really like the open configuration. I'm sure it was done that way to lend itself to hosting bands later at night.

I hope the place maintains it's momentum. Sounds like it's drawing people to Bricktown who might not have come otherwise.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback
    Patrick,

Is the pic you posted part of the Oklahoma story (I do recall seeing a b/w version in the story)? If it is, I'm sure that I couldn't use it at my downtown okc website since the Oklahoman is right proud of their copyright! But, if not, where did you get it ... if it's not copyrighted, I'd like to see the source image to see it is better quality than what you posted, and maybe use it.

Doug
    Yeah, it's from The Oklahoman. Sorry.....

terrared Guest

Default Re: Toby Keith bar/restaurant

My husband and I and a couple of friends went to Toby's place for dinner the night before the gig. There was a 3 hour wait to be seated, but the booths near the large bar and all the seating at the bar are fair game and are full service. So we went to the back bar, met Kenny and Natalie the greatest bartenders in the world, ordered and had our food in front of us within 20 minutes. The food was honestly some of the best I had ever eaten. My hubby and I both ordered sirloin and shrimp. It came with a choice of potato, another vegetable of your choice, a salad and basket of jalepeno cornbread and bisquits. We couldn't eat it all. The steak was cooked perfectly and the shrimp was to die for. My friend ordered the chicken fried steak. It took up the entire plate and wasn't all breading like some restaurants. We couldn't have been happier. We're looking forward to going back on August 13th when my husband's band will be back there.

13. Default Re: Toby Keith bar/restaurant

Terrared, what did you think about your visit to OKC? Was it what you expected? Did you have fun and did you see the Memorial, what did you think about that?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by floater
    Most visitors probably don't know that... Color Me Badd ... are from the OKC region.
    I'd rather keep it that way.

Here's some pictures from the restaurants website http://www.ilovethisbarandgrillokc.com/index.php:

pdjr Guest

I enjoy it quite a bit.

Disclaimer: I am friends with one of the owners. He hasn't comped my meals though.

Here's my semi-objective 2 cents.

terrared Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karried
    Terrared, what did you think about your visit to OKC? Was it what you expected? Did you have fun and did you see the Memorial, what did you think about that?

Karried:

I didn't get to see a whole lot of OKC when I was down there last month, but I did enjoy Bricktown. Friday night we enjoyed eating at Toby's and then we rode the water taxi and just walked up and down the canal. If we felt drawn to a certain place, we'd walk in and check it out. We really liked Maker's. Saturday my entire day was pretty much spent at Toby's. The band had to set up and do sound check and by that time the crowds started rolling in. I spent a lot of time on the band's bus and in the "green room" hanging out with the hubby and the rest of the guys.

My friend Kendra and I drank ENTIRELY too much at Toby's place and boy did we pay for it the next day!! Our husbands asked if we wanted to check out the bombing memorial on our way back to Tulsa and we both were in no condition to sight see!!!!!

The band is playing at Toby's again this Saturday (Aug. 13th). My hubby will be riding the band's bus down with the rest of the band so my girlfriend and I will be hiting OKC alone. We're planning on going by the memorial on our way to our hotel. We're planning on taking a supply of tissue with us, 'cause we're both the emotional types.

18. Default Re: Toby Keith bar/restaurant

http://www.travelok.com/hot_deals/coupons.asp Here are a few coupons you might be able to use while you are here. A few dollars off of the Memorial Museum.

Terrared, I was wondering how you liked it. There is so much to do in Bricktown, it's hard to fit it all in.
    The Memorial is so unbelievably touching. They do have tissues strategically placed. My best friend ( from California) was a wreck and I was as well. We both had seen it on CNN and all over the news but living there (in CA) and seeing it here firsthand was a really moving experience. If you can make it through the momentos area, you're home free. Give yourself a few hours to really see the whole museum. It is so worth it.

I saw the Chihuly Exhibit today, WOW is that amazing, blown glass, really gorgeous. The Art's Museum if you have some time to spare.

Let me know what you thought when you get back. Hope you have a great trip (again) ....

I have to say also, the Memorial is a very touching place to visit. Walking through the place kinda sent a chill up my spine, hard to explain. I remember the day it happend, watching it on the t.v at work that morning. Of course I did not really think as much of it as I do now, after actually being there, it was still disturbing the day it happend.

terrared Guest

I'm sure my friend Kendra and I will be in tears before we leave there. I remember sitting in the Wal-mart parking lot at 81st/Lewis in Tulsa crying my eyes out while looking at the front page of the Tulsa World with the picture of the firefighter and the baby Bailey Almon. That picture will always be burned into my memory.

I girl I know was working six blocks away when the blast hit, she had just walked away from a plate glass window to use the rest room when the blast blew the window out.

22. Default Re: Toby Keith bar/restaurant

terrared, that picture took my breath away - I'll never ever forget that picture - I can only imagine how the mother felt seeing that everywhere - a nightmare that you can't wake up from.

pdjr Guest

Just got back from there. Great food and fun.

I'm going to start/restart a bombing memorial thread. Let's get these stories in one place. They are too important to be in any restaurant thread. Look for it.

24. Default Re: Toby Keith bar/restaurant

Good idea pdjr... I'm off on a tangent, again... :-)

pdjr Guest

Karried, I'm always on a tangent. Thanks for not misconstruing my intentions. Like T.S. Eliot's poetry, my mind zips from one place to the next. For instance, I was working in Excel and then the next thing I know I have three browsers open, just downloaded a free song from iTunes.com and am changing my Windows desktop. No wonder it takes me so long to do my invoicing/data analysis!

Thread Information