Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: In-n-Out Burger

Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

I cannot imagine caring about this. We live in a city that already has an absurd excess of burgers and fast food.

I would rather have White Castle.

I've eaten at in-n-out in California and DFW, its cheaper than whataburger but I feel whataburger tastes better. I'd love to see CookOut expand to Oklahoma. Prices are consistent with In-n-out but the taste is better in my opinion. I'd rank them above whataburger.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I've eaten at in-n-out in California and DFW, its cheaper than whataburger but I feel whataburger tastes better. I'd love to see CookOut expand to Oklahoma. Prices are consistent with In-n-out but the taste is better in my opinion. I'd rank them above whataburger.
    I really miss from when I lived in North Carolina. I don't think they have any locations west of Georgia however. I think it would do great in Oklahoma.

TBH it is going to be a while before they expand in OKC, or really outside of Texas in general. IMO I think they overbuilt their DFW locations and are probably now much more cautious in their expansions.

Now that the hype has died down a bit, I notice that their business in the locations here are decidedly mixed. The In and Out by me in Addison stays packed 24-7, but the one by my parents is very slow. If I am not mistaken In and Out planned on being in every large TX metro by 2015. As of now they have made it to Dallas and Austin, but are only now opening a location in San Antonio and have yet to open any in Houston.

Every single one of them in Cali have long lines all day every day.

It's a great operation and great, fresh food served at reasonable prices. I'm a huge fan, although it took me a while to come around.

I've had it, and it's good fast food. I can't imagine picking it over Tucker's, though.

Blog Entries

Maybe we should frame it as a challenge to them. "In-and-Out is afraid of the heavy competition in the Oklahoma market". :-P

^
    I think that is the thing though. Here, they would be just another burger restaurant. Its less of an critique on In and Out and more of an observation on this market. You better bring you A game in Oklahoma if you are selling any sort of beef. Don't see what make's them stand out besides being a CA import.

As an aside, I actually find the burger I had in San Diego was different that the time I ate it here in Dallas. IDK if they are just trying to adjust to the differing tastes in this part of the country, but it was definitely not the same. Not worse per say, just off. My cousin's GF (a California transplant) observed this as well.

Tucker's is literally twice the price of an In-n-Out burger.

We've been through this before... There are three distinct burger categories:

1. Full service restaurant, like RePUBlic
    2. Quick service, like Tucker's, 5 Guys, or Smashburger
    3. Fast food, like In-n-Out, McDonadl's Jack in the Box

And even in the fast food category In-n-Out is cheap and by far the freshest (and I think best) product.

Blog Entries

I would have stuck five guys, smashburger, and in-and-out in the same category, but I get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I would have stuck five guys, smashburger, and in-and-out in the same category, but I get what you're saying.
    Totally different price point and service model.

Gawd, I try to go to In-n-Out every time I go to LAX. Catch22 got me hooked. I'm a big fan of Tuckers but the burgers really can't be compared. They are two different ensembles and shouldn't be compared. It's different food. Closest I have had here to In-n-Out is Freddy's and that was mostly in spirit.

And plus, who doesn't want palm trees on their drink cups?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm a huge fan, although it took me a while to come around.
    Same here. When I was first told that it was the "best hamburger", I was thinking best all around, and so I tried it and was like "well, it's good, but best?". Then I realized they just meant fast food burgers and then, yeah, it is one of the best.

And then I had Animal Style...

I've only had White Castle once very recently and I must say that I don't get it. Maybe I ordered wrong, but it seemed very blah to me. Now, I do get the medicinal properties of a bag of sliders at 2 am, but flavor wise it didn't stand out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tucker's is literally twice the price of an In-n-Out burger.
    It doesn't have to be. Between a Keep it Local card and the Tucker's card (where about every 10th burger is free), it costs me and my wife $15 to eat at Tuckers. That's about $3 or $4 more than two combo meals at In-n-Out. If I'm going to invest the calories in a burger, that small of a price difference is nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tuckers.

But they really are in a different category; no drive-thru, etc.

17. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I've only had White Castle once very recently and I must say that I don't get it. Maybe I ordered wrong, but it seemed very blah to me. Now, I do get the medicinal properties of a bag of sliders at 2 am, but flavor wise it didn't stand out to me.
    If you didn't order a Crave Case... You ordered wrong! ..... White Castle really has no in between it seems.... The response I usually get from people that have tried it are "I LOVE WHITE CASTLE!" or "How can you eat that crap???"...... I never hear "Oh, it's alright." or "It's a decent burger.".

I know they are, I would just never choose to downgrade to save $4. Just a personal preference. It's way better than McDonald's, though.

This thread made me crave a burger. I am literally at Tucker's now for a ver overdue lunch.

Double Tucker $8.49
    Chocolate Shake $3.99
    Subtotal $12.48
    Tax $1.05
    Keep it Local Saved $1.25

End $12.28

In and Out is pretty good. I can't say it's a whole lot better than Whataburger or Braums.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    If you didn't order a Crave Case... You ordered wrong! ..... White Castle really has no in between it seems.... The response I usually get from people that have tried it are "I LOVE WHITE CASTLE!" or "How can you eat that crap???"...... I never hear "Oh, it's alright." or "It's a decent burger.".
    Are the crave case burgers different than when you just order them regularly.

I'll go ahead and be the first person to say "eh, they're alright". I went away very indifferent. But if, like In n Out, they have some off menu things that makes them better, I'd love to know.

22. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Are the crave case burgers different than when you just order them regularly.
    No... It's just the right quantity to order. Any less than that quantity is the wrong order. ;+)

When I fly to Michigan to see friends up there. They meet me at the airport with a Crave Case.

Just read that Lubbock is getting an In-N-Out Burger at their West End development.

I heard a rumor that Hal Smith bought the franchise rights to In-N-Out Burger in Oklahoma about ten years ago so he is the only one who could open one up. He then proceeded to open The Garage in OKC several years ago, which has been absolutely killing it, leading me to believe he will not be opening up an INO anytime soon. Not sure if it is true or not, but that is what a message board is for

25. Default Re: In-n-Out Burger

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I heard a rumor that Hal Smith bought the franchise rights to In-N-Out Burger in Oklahoma about ten years ago so he is the only one who could open one up. He then proceeded to open The Garage in OKC several years ago, which has been absolutely killing it, leading me to believe he will not be opening up an INO anytime soon. Not sure if it is true or not, but that is what a message board is for
    I don't believe that In-N-Out is a franchise... I'd think that the Garage and In-N-Out's models were different enough for both to succeed also.

Thread Information