Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to meet people in OKC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Chris, didn't mean to be so harsh it's just that we don't have these things very often and it was a unique opportunity because you had missed the one in August, everyone agreed that was a perfect type of thing for you to get more connected, then just by good fortune we had another one last week, and you missed that one too.

I really do wish you the best. And I would highly recommend going down to Skinny's and meeting up with Sid as he's an incredibly nice guy and that place couldn't be more laid-back and friendly.
    +1000 Skinny Slim's is, IMO, the best bar in all of OKC. Easiest place to meet random, fun people. You HAVE to stop by there some time.

ONLINE is the best way!!!

3. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I have been in OKC for a year now after moving from Charlotte. I love the job I have here and this was definitely an excellent career move for me. However, my social life still is pretty much limited to Skyping with friends back in Charlotte. The thing is, I am an introvert so I don't make friends as easily as a lot of people. I find myself unique in that I am a guy who doesn't like sports except for being a casual Thunder follower and am into the arts. I am also in my late 20s and not married yet and don't want to be for a few more years. I am also the kind of guy who likes to get out and do stuff. So far, my attempt to discover my niche in OKC has been very rocky.

I have tried the church scene and have tried most of the most popular churches around town i.e. Lifechurch, Victory, Crossings, etc and have found that the church scene is very family oriented and I stick out like a sore thumb being 28 now and not married (this wasn't a problem in Charlotte). I have not found anywhere with an active singles group like where I went out in Charlotte. I have done some volunteer work since I've been here but didn't form lasting relationships that way. How else is there to meet people in this city? I haven't tried Meetup.com because I had a terrible experience with it when I moved to Charlotte. Maybe its better here and need to face my fear. Nonetheless, being an introvert is a huge hurdle I have to overcome but I did it easily in Charlotte so it would make sense that I should be able to here.

Despite sometimes being overly harsh on OKC on this forum I think it's a city I could learn to love if I could find my niche. For those on this forum who relocated from elsewhere, knowing nobody here, how long did it take you to really feel at home and how did you go about it?
    I think you need to get involved with causes, date women who have friends, volunteer at places, do something crazy, and resort to drinking when all else fails. Try the Parrish in Plaza if you're religious.

This thread is old, so I'm not sure how much of this info still applies. I am a 25 year old male that just moved to OKC for work. I am someone who has focused the last 6 years of my life only on work. Now I find myself in a new city with my dream job, I’m just missing a social life. Where are some places or events that I can go to where I can meet new people, especially women. Where do people my age hangout here in OKC? Any input at all is appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCtransplant1 View Post
    This thread is old, so I'm not sure how much of this info still applies. I am a 25 year old male that just moved to OKC for work. I am someone who has focused the last 6 years of my life only on work. Now I find myself in a new city with my dream job, I’m just missing a social life. Where are some places or events that I can go to where I can meet new people, especially women. Where do people my age hangout here in OKC? Any input at all is appreciated. Thank you!
    https://okc.ossosports.com/ sign on for one of these teams Kickball volleyball or what ever .. you will meet a ton of under 30 year olds men and women ..

There is a lot of threads on the OKC subreddit that cover this information. You are young, so bars will be a great spot for you to meet anyone. I would check out Jones Assembly, they have random events and also just any Thurs-Sat night is going to be popping there with young people. They also have bingo nights that start up in the summer on their patio that are really fun.

Hey man, there are several districts with active nightlife spots. The Plaza, Midtown, Film Row, Farmers Market area, Uptown, and Paseo are great districts to explore. Bricktown is more clubby and tourist bars.

Some of my favorite bars are: Bar Arbolada, The Flee, Up Down, Good Times, The Other Room, Rad Bar, Power House, Blok Bar, The Pump (Especially in warmer months), Palo Santo, and Jones Assembly. Many of these have different nightly events happening, and if you follow Happy Hour OKC on Instagram they post a lot of events going on in the city and at several of these places. There are also several breweries if you're into beer.

Hey man, there are several districts with active nightlife spots. The Plaza, Midtown, Film Row, Farmers Market area, Uptown, and Paseo are great districts to explore. Bricktown is more clubby and tourist bars.

Some of my favorite bars are: Bar Arbolada, The Flee, Up Down, Good Times, The Other Room, Rad Bar, Power House, Blok Bar, The Pump (Especially in warmer months), Palo Santo, and Jones Assembly. Many of these have different nightly events happening, and if you follow Happy Hour OKC on Instagram they post a lot of events going on in the city and at several of these places. There are also several breweries if you're into beer.

Find a church

Yeah, if you're a churchgoer, Frontline Church downtown is loaded with people in that age group.

11. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yeah, if you're a churchgoer, Frontline Church downtown is loaded with people in that age group.
    Yes, Frontline has many opportunities for young adults to get into community. Churchgoer or not. Super kind people there.

There are tons of people at the various trivia nights.

Even though you are competing with others, I've met lots of people after the game is over. Ask how they did, if they go to other competitions, etc.

I really miss the trivia nights at Flashback but they are everywhere now. Same with Singo and other organized bar games.

Red Coyote Pack Pint night runs are another alternative that is not so alcohol-focused.

Generally the trick is going to be find something you enjoy doing or are interested in that involves groups and go do that thing. And then make an effort to connect to the other people doing the thing.

15. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

Find a networking group for your industry, they are out there!

Thank you to everyone who has responded! Some good info here!

Blog Entries

Thank you to everyone who has responded! Some good info here!
    Volunteering is always a good way to meet the right kind of people. And there are many organizations that can use the help. Check with the OKC Foundation. Lots of really good people doing great things.

^

City Pres is another with a lot of young people involved in the community.

. . . if your interested in the arts, might try the younger folks groups with OKCMOA and the Philharmonic!

20. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

On a different note, just completely out of my curiosity, does anyone on here often meet other active OKCTalk users/posters? Other than organized meet ups in the past. I'm the only one in my family/friend/work groups that has an account on here instead of just following the Instagram account. Crazy, cause this is such a fantastic site and resource.

I love hearing the amazing input, thoughts, and info from passionate people but I haven't seen anyone's face lol! Makes me wonder if I've met any of you avid posters and had no idea.

^

I used to organize the get-togethers but those were pretty much while I lived in California.

I'm nervous about them now because OKCTalk has become such a big deal I've had a bunch of personal threats (just stupid stuff but it's still scary and I'm very easy to find due to my unique last name that pretty much everyone knows) and I now strongly prefer to keep a low profile.

22. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

^

I used to organize the get-togethers but those were pretty much while I lived in California.

I'm nervous about them now because OKCTalk has become such a big deal I've had a bunch of personal threats (just stupid stuff but it's still scary and I'm very easy to find due to my unique last name that pretty much everyone knows) and I now strongly prefer to keep a low profile.
    OKCTalk Subscriber only cocktail hour!

23. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

^

My goodness... I can't imagine. That is definitely scary regardless of if you know the legitimacy of a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    My goodness... I can't imagine. That is definitely scary regardless of if you know the legitimacy of a threat.
    If I shared some of the things I've had to deal with, people would not believe it.

I would never have believed it myself and being too open has left me vulnerable in ways I couldn't have imagined.

Now that I'm back in OKC and easy to find, I'm much more careful and it sucks having to be that way.

25. Default Re: How to meet people in OKC?

If I shared some of the things I've had to deal with, people would not believe it.
    As a former anonymous, two-bit, hack, wannabe, BBQ blogger.... I would totally believe every last word of it.

Thread Information