Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is there any real truth to the rumor that UCO is going division 1 in football

1. Default Re: Is there any real truth to the rumor that UCO is going division 1 in football

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    UCO's enrollment is still waaay down. In 2012, it was in the 17,000 range, so that would be outstanding for the school.
    It wouldn’t be outstanding for on-campus parking. Yikes!
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Default Re: Is there any real truth to the rumor that UCO is going division 1 in football

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    UCO's enrollment is still waaay down. In 2012, it was in the 17,000 range, so that would be outstanding for the school. Athletics in Oklahoma are a big deal and can really help forge a school's distinct identity. I also think Todd Lamb is going to want to make his mark there. They spent some money and hired a coach who has experience coaching division 2 championships.

But comparing UCO football to OU football and suggesting UCO going to FCS would guage their succsess as compared to one of the historic top 5 college football programs in the country is pretty absurd. UCO would be doing very, very well to even be in the same league as Tulsa, which is usually a pretty decent mid-major program.
    With OU and OSU having very successful programs for the past 20 or so years in football, as well as other sports winning National Championships (wrestling for OSU, softball for OU, etc), and UCO being literally located between the two, if D1 athletics were important to you as an incoming student, wouldn't you just go to OSU or OU? I'll agree that the program would be on the same level as some of their former Lone Star Conference Texas teams that went D1.

Also, how much of a factor does the legislature play in shaping the future of UCO athletics? Essentially, could lawmakers influence UCO's state appointed regents and block something like this from happening, as to not take away any publicity and revenue dollars from OU or OSU?

Default Re: Is there any real truth to the rumor that UCO is going division 1 in football

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    It wouldn’t be outstanding for on-campus parking. Yikes!
    That's kind of funny. We complained about it then, and you complain about it now, but I can tell you that even when enrollment was at the 17,000 mark, we just parked in BFE, got there early enough and made it to class on time.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    With OU and OSU having very successful programs for the past 20 or so years in football, as well as other sports winning National Championships (wrestling for OSU, softball for OU, etc), and UCO being literally located between the two, if D1 athletics were important to you as an incoming student, wouldn't you just go to OSU or OU? I'll agree that the program would be on the same level as some of their former Lone Star Conference Texas teams that went D1.

Also, how much of a factor does the legislature play in shaping the future of UCO athletics? Essentially, could lawmakers influence UCO's state appointed regents and block something like this from happening, as to not take away any publicity and revenue dollars from OU or OSU?
    Todd Lamb I think is uniquely positioned re his connections to make this happen. I think for UCO, it may be now or never, or at least not for a long time that such a move would be possible. Lamb needs to bring the big donors like Richardson back into the fold though.

UCO moves to 4-0.

My family and I are planning to go to their last home game of the year, would be very cool if they were undefeated at that point.

Thread Information