Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: University Town Center

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    I have heard about Crest being built near Target, I was also told or its rumored that Cabelas will be built there on UNP as well. But I will always wonder how Dollar Tree is high end retail?

I feel this whole UNP is a failure and a waste of moeny or least tax dollars by having it as a TIF, since us the employees are being told that we won't hire anymore, still have merit freezes, residents have to feel the crunch as well, but will still keep giving millions to bring in supposed high end retail for UNP.
    UNP was NEVER planned to be 100% "high end retail"

2. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

I really like the look of Cabelas a lot more than Bass Pro. However like RC said, they are almost identical in pricing. Though Cabelas would be a very good draw for Norman, especially from the Southern half of the state who would stop there instead of going to Bricktown.

There will be two mattress stores right near each other also, Mathis brothers and the one in strip with Zios/five guys etc.

I’m glad to hear about a rumored Norman Cabelas.
    I have ordered high quality extreme cold weather gear from their catalog before.

Is there anything more known about how realistic this is and when and where?
    Thanks

I don't know that I could agree ljbab728. The apartment complex that' recently gone up at Monnet and Duffy sure seems like an improvement over what had been there. Indeed, if a few other older structures there went down and similar units went up it would be a further improvement.

Some places I disagree with Kerry is I'm not a proponent of doing away with the one way segments of Main and Gray., They seem to work just fine.

Also, Main and Gray both are developing and experiencing infill rather nicely. The Vista has been reclaimed and is mostly filled except for the question on who/what will take over the top floor. There are several eaterys and businesses added in the past five years on/off Main and Gray alike, with more to come. Some independent business folk I know are reporting slow but steady increases in their customer base. DT Norman isn't doing badly at all.

True, but that just means it will blend in well with most of the UNP family.

Holiday Inn basically owns the Oklahoma City area hotel market.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    Holiday Inn basically owns the Oklahoma City area hotel market.
    Actually, the various brands under the Marriott umbrella have a much larger share of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Actually, the various brands under the Marriott umbrella have a much larger share of the market.
    That's true. I guess Holiday Inn's are just a little more obvious to the eye for me than Marriott's are. I'm still waiting for a Drury Inn to enter into the OKC market.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    That's true. I guess Holiday Inn's are just a little more obvious to the eye for me than Marriott's are. I'm still waiting for a Drury Inn to enter into the OKC market.
    Some years ago there was one off I-35 in OKC. I think it was between Grand and 44th, but it was a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Some years ago there was one off I-35 in OKC. I think it was between Grand and 44th, but it was a dump.
    Location, location, location. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    My Bad, it was a DROVERS INN I was confusing with Drury. Apologies to the Drury Corporation.

Hotel

With 5guys in the same area, they probably decided against building there. Way too much competition.

I noticed there's a Pearle Vision between five guys and game stop. Anyone know if they're closing the one on 36th and Main or keeping both?

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I noticed there's a Pearle Vision between five guys and game stop. Anyone know if they're closing the one on 36th and Main or keeping both?

Don't know. I'm by there a lot but I never saw the Pearle shop. Hmmm, maybe I oughta stop in.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Don't know. I'm by there a lot but I never saw the Pearle shop. Hmmm, maybe I oughta stop in.
    lol, nice.

In today's transcript..

NORMAN — Sales tax generated by the University North Park tax increment finance district (TIF) topped $20 million between October 2006 and October 2011. More than $3.6 million in ad valorem tax was levied in 2010 and was payable in 2011.

Taxes collected in University North Park under the TIF designation serve as a financing tool for public improvements.

Of the $20 million-plus of sales tax collected, just more than $5.4 million was transferred to the city’s general fund. Some of the University North Park businesses relocated, and that money stays with the general fund, since it likely would have been generated without the TIF.

The remaining $15.4 million has funded more than $10 million in public projects so far.

Of the ad valorem taxes collected, a little more than $1.8 million goes to Norman Public Schools (61.46 percent), with much smaller percentages going to Cleveland County, Moore-Norman Vo-Tech, Norman Public Library, the city and the Health Department — entities that normally collect ad valorem millages — which agreed to take a decreased amount in the TIF district.

The remaining $1.8 million of ad valorem taxes collected pays for public improvements in University North Park.

Using TIF money to fund public improvements serves as an economic driver for the city by attracting business to University North Park, thus bringing in new sales tax and ad valorem tax dollars.

While the pace of development slowed during the recession following the initial frenzy during the first two years of the TIF, the economy is picking up and new development continues.

“There’s quite a bit of dirt flying in North Park,” Norman Finance Director Anthony Francisco said.

Near the Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center, a new Holiday Inn Express has been platted and is expected to be coming soon. Packaged together, the two hotels can accommodate bigger functions than the Embassy Suites alone, officials have said.

That will allow Norman to compete for bigger conferences and other events.

Near Logan’s Roadhouse and Cheddars, a Mathis Brothers Lady Americana “high-end mattress store” is coming to the UNP, and Valliance Bank with a unique architectural design, is slated for the strip near 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, Francisco reported.

To the north, city officials are expecting a steak house and a Starbucks. On the east end, a large grocery store is anticipated.

“They’re in final negotiations on a Crest Food Store,” Francisco said. “With the exception of the Village Center, we’re getting filled up.”

In addition, the Norman Economic Development Coalition has purchased around 30 acres and may purchase another 30 to 40 acres for an “airline-related business,” Francisco said.

Joy Hampton 366-3539 jhampton@ normantranscript.com

20. Default Re: UPDATE! University North Park

How long are they going to negotiate on that Crest. Is it taking so long becuase Moore is in the background offering them more and more Cash?

I wonder if the Steakhouse is going to be Texas Roadhouse?

It's going to be the Mathis Brothers store.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    It's going to be the Mathis Brothers store.
    Mathis Bros. is SE of Target.

The construction behind Target (i.e. NW of Target) is likely Discount Tire.

The dirtwork looked to be the right size for the long-rumored Discount Tire. That would be my guess..

Thread Information