Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1945

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another area where Sam's is superior is its website. They list almost every single product and designate between those in the store, online or both.
    Agreed here. Costco's website is a huge area of potential. Right now it is NOT the website of a business trying to attract anyone looking for something.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    COSTCO starts its employees at $15 / hour with full benefits. This is the kind of business we should be supporting. Wal-Mart is a drain on society and taxpayers. I did foolishly decide to visit Saturday afternoon. It only took me about 10 minutes to find a spot to park. Waiting in line for a Costco card was a non-starter, however. Despite numerous lines, people were waiting quite a while.

I decided just to do a quick sweep of the store to get a feel for the merchandise. I found some things that immediately triggered buying impulses but I was protected by my lack of membership.

I will share some information from someone I know in management at this store: there are plans in the works to build at least two more Costco locations in the metro area. I would expect they will move quickly on this based on the sensational reaction to the market they received. People here are sick of Wal-Marts. Also, as our metro population has swelled with people from across the United States, these newcomers are accustomed to shopping at Costco and make a ready market.

I would imagine they will build one somewhere in the South OKC / Moore / Norman region and your guess is as good as mine on other locations. Perhaps the West OKC / Yukon area. My friend said he could imagine them building one closer to Downtown as well. "That will happen," he said. So that makes me think of Belle Isle or the area around Target on NW Expressway.
    That'd be amazing to have one closer to downtown. There have been talks of developing the land NE of Lincoln and 50th, and Costco would be a great anchor. That could spark development all along the Lincoln corridor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	740862E5-DB1A-4A59-BBEF-FFE16226F7BE.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	15294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63181A4D-6947-4913-B31F-81B41C3C46BE.jpeg 
Views:	183 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	15295

^

Awesome! Thank you.

I have zero experience with Costco, but from what I can tell on this thread, Kirklands is the main reason to check it out. Pete was right when he said Member's Mark products are very hit-and-miss.

As far as everything else, Walmart has definitely closed the gap on customer experience. The Walmart in Mustang has the most pleasant, helpful workers I've probably ever seen. Even in other locations they've always taken the time to help me find something. It's true that Sams Club employees seem overworked and miserable, but I almost never need any help. You can look up exact product location online and self-checkout is seamless.

My wife is excited for Costco from a progress standpoint, but we likely won't get a membership until they build one closer.

We went Saturday afternoon. Glad we already had our membership purchased so we could walk right in. We really liked it, although after just one trip I can't say I prefer it over Sam's. The only real complaint we have is that they don't take Mastercard (except their own). Before we even went in the store, we stopped to fill up the car. We were in my husbands business vehicle, and when he tried to fill up using his business MC, we realized it wouldn't work. That for us will cause some inconvenience, since be make quite a few purchases at Sam's which are for his business, and it all goes on the business Mastercard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I have zero experience with Costco, but from what I can tell on this thread, Kirklands is the main reason to check it out. Pete was right when he said Member's Mark products are very hit-and-miss.

As far as everything else, Walmart has definitely closed the gap on customer experience. The Walmart in Mustang has the most pleasant, helpful workers I've probably ever seen. Even in other locations they've always taken the time to help me find something. It's true that Sams Club employees seem overworked and miserable, but I almost never need any help. You can look up exact product location online and self-checkout is seamless.

My wife is excited for Costco from a progress standpoint, but we likely won't get a membership until they build one closer.
    Keep it quiet on the Mustang Walmart. I don't want the word to get out about it.

So, I went this morning about 10:30.

Happily, I had kept my old card and just renewed it online, so I breezed past the lines of people signing up.

They were absolutely checking cards at the entrance, something they say helps greatly reduce shrinkage. Not sure how it would work if you told the dude 'I just want to look around'.

After 25 years in SoCal and then moving back home to OKC about 2.5 years ago. I have purposely not gone back to visit in order to minimize any second-guessing and confusion and to focus on my future here. But I have to say I had a real moment of California homesickness as soon as I walked in. Was really odd and took me by surprise.

The OKC store has a layout that is quite different than the stores I used to shop, so that helped me get past the 'worlds colliding' experience.

I picked up a few things (like the coveted margarita mix) but I didn't have much in particular I was looking for, so I just wandered up and down almost every aisle looking for things I couldn't find at my stupidly accessible Sam's Club.

At least on this trip, I didn't find much. There was actually a shed on the floor I really liked and it was reasonable. I've been looking for a while and haven't found one at Sam's that suits my needs.

Approaching checkout I noticed only 4 lanes open out of maybe 20. Each line was about 3-5 carts deep and then I remembered something I strongly dislike about their checkout: Every other lane is flipped with the cart/people orientation which means while standing in line you are crammed in with the people at the next lane over.

And this was a problem in California. Always one or more fools taking way too much space, getting in your way, etc. Ugh. Why in a store the size of a small state do they insist on cramming people into a narrow gauntlet to complete your transaction? I learned a long time ago to go to the lane on the far end, regardless of length of line. And as it happened they moved everyone through quite quickly.

The Costco food court is another big point in their favor. As I was leaving around 11AM, no real line so I jumped up and had to try a new item, the pastor salad. It was $5 but big enough for 2 people and was really darn good, with lots of meat and it had nice flavor and even a little spice. I'm sure others have seen they have a chicken bake this is very popular and also a hot ham & provolone sandwich. And in taste tests, their dogs and Polish sausages always beat Sam's and so does their pizza. I always loved their berry smoothie as well.

Something I had not seen before was the food kiosk where you could place your order and pay and then only step up to the counter when your order was ready. That will come in handy.

So now leaving... I decided just to head east on the frontage road, south on Santa Fe and then east on 122nd to Broadway Extension. BUT, making the left onto 122nd the traffic was backed up through the signal! And this wasn't due to a train... It was people that were trying to make a right at the stop sign (put in a signal already!!) and onto the freeway.

I instead continued south on Santa Fe and immediately remembered it came to a dead-end. But -- and this must have been recent -- you can now cut over to the Broadway frontage road and head south to the Hefner road interchange.

Ah, my cherished Costco, it was nice to be back. I don't think I'll be visiting often but I'm so glad it is here.

How long was line to get a card and how fast does it move? Do they use picture cards or just names?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    How long was line to get a card and how fast does it move? Do they use picture cards or just names?
    There were a bunch of people signing up at two different spots in the store. Not sure how long it took.

But yes, they take your photo and put it on the card.

There were a bunch of people signing up at two different spots in the store. Not sure how long it took.

But yes, they take your photo and put it on the card.
    Thanks. No problem with taking pic just figured if no pic the process would be faster. I hate lines lol

We didn’t get photos on our cards.

Fueled up this after noon. $2.14 and that’s Top Tier Gas.

Apparently I must look like an old feeble fart. One of the fuel attendants came up and asked if I wanted any help fueling. I think he was just bored, but he was super friendly and eager to help.

14. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    We didn’t get photos on our cards.
    My wife signed us up at her work (more freebies that way). We got our cards in the mail, with no photos. No info about getting new cards with photos either.

I instead continued south on Santa Fe and immediately remembered it came to a dead-end. But -- and this must have been recent -- you can now cut over to the Broadway frontage road and head south to the Hefner road interchange.
    Pete, I checked Google Earth and that connection has been there at least since the Broadway Extension expansion 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Pete, I checked Google Earth and that connection has been there at least since the Broadway Extension expansion 20 years ago.
    Interesting -- thanks for the research.

That is going to be my preferred route from now on.

You can register and pay online. Then when you get to the store you can tell the folks manning the entry that you've already paid and just need to pick up your card. They'll direct you to the customer service desk (same place you return items). You will save a TON of time this way.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    You can register and pay online. Then when you get to the store you can tell the folks manning the entry that you've already paid and just need to pick up your card. They'll direct you to the customer service desk (same place you return items). You will save a TON of time this way.
    Thank you!!!

19. Default Re: Costco

I was there last weekend and asked if I could look around before i bought a membership. I was told it wasn't allowed. I ended up leaving as the signup line looked to be a 30 minute wait and I had somewhere I had to be.

BTW, I mentioned the Al Pastor salad at the food court...

It's vegan. The protein is actually soy and is very good and tasty.

And I didn't realize they still have hot dogs but no longer carry Polish sausage.

I refuse to use self checkout. I am not an employee of the store and I am certainly not receiving a discount to do work for them.

If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store. I do no favors for corporate America. Our corporate overlords rob us for everything anyway, I will not make it any easier on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    I was there last weekend and asked if I could look around before i bought a membership. I was told it wasn't allowed. I ended up leaving as the signup line looked to be a 30 minute wait and I had somewhere I had to be.
    You don’t have to be a member to use the Costco pharmacy. Costco WILL allow you in, tell the door people you want to go to the pharmacy to see about a personal needs. Go to the pharmacy. Look around at the OTC stuff. Feel free to say hi to the pharmacy staff. Get distracted by other things and wander around. Go to the rest room. Use the food court. Then, if you wish, go buy a membership.

No need to lie, just tell them you want to go to the pharmacy. Then go to the pharmacy.

However, I do recommend their pharmacy. If you are a cash customer, no insurance, you won’t find a better price anywhere than Costco pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I refuse to use self checkout. I am not an employee of the store and I am certainly not receiving a discount to do work for them.

If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store. I do no favors for corporate America. Our corporate overlords rob us for everything anyway, I will not make it any easier on them.
    Totally agree, they give me no money to do cashier job they just keep all the profits frim those they got rid of.

Self checkout is another step in having less human interaction, which we as humans need. One thing I miss from other countries is bartering for products even if neither speaks others language. A simple calculator passed back and forth and reading body language was all I needed. I really enjoyed that aspect of buying.

Costco seems more tuned in to customer service than WM/Sams. I already let my Sams expire in Mar and will be getting my Costco this weekend.

I have been going to Costco for many years prior to moving to OKC. I am very disappointed with this version of Costco however. Due to Oklahoma's archaic liquor laws you are unable to purchase any spirits at this Costco location, which is one of the best things about Costco because they are always the cheapest. Go figure, only in Oklahoma you can go buy a pound of pot, but god forbid you can buy some cheap spirits. Another horrible reason this Costco sucks is because of the piss poor planning. Anyone trying to get on the turnpike going west are screwed. Traffic is awful and the good old Oklahoma city planners failed again. Only one more year and I can leave this dump!

Thank you!!!
    No problem. Just happened to check if this was an option before we went and I'm glad we did. The wait to sign up even on a Wednesday morning had to be at least 30-45 minutes.

The kind associate who printed our cards said that they're so busy right now that they're not taking pictures, they just give you your card with your name on it (but no picture ID). She said they would start doing this if it slows down in the next month or two.

Thread Information