Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Caleb may be slightly more talented; time will tell. In any event, there are lots of good quarterbacks and all anyone said is OU will still be fine.

He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left
    This is just hyperbolic sanctimony.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I just couldn't disagree more with everyone's take here. Williams is more talented than the QBs OU is bringing in and OU will be worse for it. Moreover, I have absolutly no problem with Williams leaving. He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left. I trust Williams is making the best decision for himself and I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it. Moreover, he's taking one of the top freshman wide receivers in the country with him in Mario Williams. Another big loss.

Who's throwing him under the bus? You're not the first in this thread to exclaim something to this effect.

You have no idea how I felt about Riley while he was coach here, and plenty have provided examples in this thread of why, in hindsight, this might be a net plus for OU.

I'm pretty sure most people assumed he was going to follow RIley to USC, so this isn't a big shock.

OU will be fine. Not immediately, of course, because Riley pillaged the staff, recruits, etc. but there are reasons OU has one of the winningest football programs in history. That didn't start with Riley and/or Williams, and it certainly won't end with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    With the ultra-intense Jerry Schmidt back as strength & conditioning coach, commitment is going to be needed.

He left for A&M when Riley took the job (believe they had a disagreement on what was needed to make players strong and tough) but came back for Venables. Schmitty is considered the best in the business and may be the most important change of all.
    You can definitely see the drop off in strength, physicality and stamina between 2018 and now. Schmitty, at least nationally, has been an underrated rehire. There are definitely massive changes coming to the S&C program. According to Eddie Radosevich, he walked into the weight room when he got here, disgustedly looked around and said “This isn’t f***ing CrossFit” and walked out haha. Hearing the stories about him from former players has been one of the more enjoyable parts of this saga over the last month or so. Can’t imagine going into the SEC with Wiley running that program. I had no idea how much that had changed and fallen off since Schmitty left. This whole thing, assuming it works out, may be the biggest blessing in disguise in OU history given where we were and the shark tank we’re jumping into.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Yeah that's how I feel, too. I do take some comfort in the fact Caleb (assuming he ends up at USC) is making an emotional decision rather than a football decision here. He wants to be with Riley, above all else.
    Yeah in a way it makes me even more angry about the whole situation but in another, as you said, it’s obvious that it’s more about his relationship with a coach and not the state of our program or him seeking a better situation on the field. And as frustrating as it is as an OU fan, I understand it if he chooses to do so. I don’t like it and frankly think it’s a dumb decision for him if he wants to have a higher level of success in his college career but can at least understand why he’s doing it. But man, I don’t see USC being at OU’s level for at least 2-3 seasons given their dumpster fire of a roster. If Williams thought he was running for his life behind our O Line, he’s in for a rude awakening out west.

Plenty of anger to throw Riley’s way though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Might have to do with how much NIL cash USC groups are promising him as well.
    I think it’s understandably part of the decision but it sounds like OU put together a pretty substantial package for him and they wanted something astronomical which no one would likely give him. If it’s USC it’s more about Riley and CW’s belief that he’s the best coach to develop him for the NFL than anything else. His NIL potential will be pennies on the dollar compared to his NFL earning potential if he develops into a first rounder and succeeds there.

I just couldn't disagree more with everyone's take here. Williams is more talented than the QBs OU is bringing in and OU will be worse for it. Moreover, I have absolutly no problem with Williams leaving. He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left. I trust Williams is making the best decision for himself and I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it. Moreover, he's taking one of the top freshman wide receivers in the country with him in Mario Williams. Another big loss.
    Man you’re just becoming the board contrary lol.

Mario Williams was underutilized and only had 300 yards receiving last year. It’s a loss but not an insurmountable one. Hazelwood was probably the bigger loss but Mimms, Stoops and Willis are returning. We get Wease back from injury who was tied for number 1 in receptions with Mimms in 2020. Farooq has indicated that he’s returning and appears to be ready to take a leap based on the bowl game. West and Darby both played well when they were on the field. We’re targeting several portal guys including a committed TE from Mizzou and have Gibson and Rodney Anderson’s brother who are both 4 star 2022 guys that are already on campus and may be able to contribute this season.

CW is more talented than Dillon Gabriel with a higher ceiling but DG is very capable 3 year veteran in Lebby’s system that will not have the learning curve that CW would’ve. The QB having a firm grasp of the offense is pretty important when everyone else around him is also trying to learn it. And it’s not like he’s been a slouch QB, the guy has thrown for 8000 yards in 2.25 seasons…we’ve brought in other transfer QBs with far less experience/success who have won a national championship, big 12 championships and finished 1 or 2 in the hiesman voting. Fundamentally, at this moment, he is the better QB, is the more accurate passer (especially the deep ball), makes better reads, passes better in the pocket and does a better job of finding open guys in the flow of the offense. He will be the better QB in game one of the season and likely even would be with CW on the team…even though I don’t think he would start over CW in that case. At the end of both their college careers CW will be the better QB, but as we saw Monday (and with Baker Mayfield to a lesser extent) we don’t need a 5 star QB to win a national championship or just generally have a solid offense. Would rather CW stay on the roster but if he does end up leaving, we will be okay.

We also may be bringing in Jaxon Dart from USC who, while not as talented as CW, was a highly rated QB in the same class that was very good despite having a terrible supporting cast when he was thrown into the fire last year at USC.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think it’s understandably part of the decision but it sounds like OU put together a pretty substantial package for him and they wanted something astronomical which no one would likely give him. If it’s USC it’s more about Riley and CW’s belief that he’s the best coach to develop him for the NFL than anything else. His NIL potential will be pennies on the dollar compared to his NFL earning potential if he develops into a first rounder and succeeds there.
    It's like we never had a QB go to the NFL before Riley came to OU. And is being outstanding on a bad USC team going to help much, in any form or fashion? Oh, well. I'm excited about next season for OU. Should be fun to watch.

He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left. I trust Williams is making the best decision for himself and I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it. Moreover, he's taking one of the top freshman wide receivers in the country with him in Mario Williams. Another big loss.
    Serious question and I’m not trying to be condescending but did you ever play football?

After the last two seasons (immediately after we lost Bedlam game and prior to Riley leaving), you would be hard pressed to find an OU fan that still considered him an offensive genius and QB whisperer. I had arguments with several friends and family members who hilariously wanted Riley fired after the season because of how bad the offense was. Obviously that talk was ridiculous but to act like he was revered until he left is just disingenuous.

His ability to develop QBs became a question mark last season but was seriously in question by the Texas game this year. He had a lot of success with transfer QBs but has yet to show he could recruit and develop his own guys. Rattler went from being the hiesman favorite to being benched halfway through the season. CW played well during his first two games and against TT but inexplicably struggled against KU then really struggled down the stretch against the better defenses in BU, ISU and OSU. Some of the QB issues could be explained by deteriorating O Line play (Which was on Riley at the end of the day…his schemes were too complicated and not in line with what the NFL typically runs), but clearly things weren’t necessarily progressing with either QB under Riley.

As far as being an offensive genius… his offenses, with a few exceptions, got statistically worse by nearly every measure every season after he took over for Stoops. The team had at best plateaued recordwise but the final season results got worse each season after he took over:

2017 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss in double OT, Heisman Trophy
    2018 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss (first half blow out but closed the gap after the game was effectively over and lost by 11), Heisman Winner
    2019 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss (blown out from start to finish by 35 pts), Heisman Runner up
    2020 - B12 Championship, NY6 Bowl win (blow out over a depleted Florida team)
    2020 - Finished 3rd in the B12, had to stage the largest compact in RRS history to beat the worst Texas team in 50 years, had to replace starting QB, likely would’ve lost to KU without CW’s miracle heads up play, lost Bedlam.

That isn’t bad enough to call for his head but things certainly were not going in the right direction. His teams looked like they weren’t ready to play when they stepped on the field multiple times over the last two seasons. The offense this year often looked inept at times against often far inferior competition (talent wise). The better defenses essentially rushed three guys and dropped 8 into coverage and Riley couldn’t figure it out. He often gave up on the run game far too quickly when we had the larger and supposedly better OLine and a very good RB I’m Kennedy Brooks. It became painfully obvious how important the run game was in setting up the passing game for both QBs when opposing defenses showed such little respect for it. Riley was by no means a bad coach but he has been far from the elite offensive guru we thought we had over the last two years.

He may do great things at USC but it’s tough to envision him just instantly killing it out there when he’s taking over such a dumpster fire of a roster. He took over an 11-2 team with the entire coaching staff built and intact here and they got progressively worse with each of the following seasons. He’s taking over a 4-7 team that hasn’t been relevant since most of the kids he’ll be recruiting were in diapers, building a coach staff from scratch snd installing a completely new offense and defense. It will be a challenge.

Before:
    Caleb Williams
    No other scholarship QB's for next season
    No offers to 2022 QB's
    Hotshot commit Malachi Nelson for class of 2023

Now:
    Dillon Gabriel
    Nick Evers (4-star early enrollee)
    Maybe Jaxson Dart (USC)
    Maybe Chubba Purdy (Florida State)
    Now have an in with Arch Manning (through Lebby), top QB for class of 2023

You can say Caleb Williams is a good player and also say OU will be just fine without him.

Pete, I agree with everything you said in your lengthy post. It captures my feelings about this roller coaster of a season perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Before:
    Caleb Williams
    No other scholarship QB's for next season
    No offers to 2022 QB's
    Hotshot commit Malachi Nelson for class of 2023

Now:
    Dillon Gabriel
    Nick Evers (4-star early enrollee)
    Maybe Jaxson Dart (USC)
    Maybe Chubba Purdy (Florida State)
    Now have an in with Arch Manning (through Lebby), top QB for class of 2023

You can say Caleb Williams is a good player and also say OU will be just fine without him.
    Absolutely. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

24/7 Sports Ranking college football's 25 best facilities in 2021

24. Texas Tech University
    20. TCU Horned Frogs
    11. Oklahoma State Cowboys
    10. Oklahoma
    09. Texas

Full list: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...4/#160189814_1

Serious question and I’m not trying to be condescending but did you ever play football?

After the last two seasons (immediately after we lost Bedlam game and prior to Riley leaving), you would be hard pressed to find an OU fan that still considered him an offensive genius and QB whisperer. I had arguments with several friends and family members who hilariously wanted Riley fired after the season because of how bad the offense was. Obviously that talk was ridiculous but to act like he was revered until he left is just disingenuous.

His ability to develop QBs became a question mark last season but was seriously in question by the Texas game this year. He had a lot of success with transfer QBs but has yet to show he could recruit and develop his own guys. Rattler went from being the hiesman favorite to being benched halfway through the season. CW played well during his first two games and against TT but inexplicably struggled against KU then really struggled down the stretch against the better defenses in BU, ISU and OSU. Some of the QB issues could be explained by deteriorating O Line play (Which was on Riley at the end of the day…his schemes were too complicated and not in line with what the NFL typically runs), but clearly things weren’t necessarily progressing with either QB under Riley.

As far as being an offensive genius… his offenses, with a few exceptions, got statistically worse by nearly every measure every season after he took over for Stoops. The team had at best plateaued recordwise but the final season results got worse each season after he took over:

2017 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss in double OT, Heisman Trophy
    2018 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss (first half blow out but closed the gap after the game was effectively over and lost by 11), Heisman Winner
    2019 - B12 Championship, Playoff loss (blown out from start to finish by 35 pts), Heisman Runner up
    2020 - B12 Championship, NY6 Bowl win (blow out over a depleted Florida team)
    2020 - Finished 3rd in the B12, had to stage the largest compact in RRS history to beat the worst Texas team in 50 years, had to replace starting QB, likely would’ve lost to KU without CW’s miracle heads up play, lost Bedlam.

That isn’t bad enough to call for his head but things certainly were not going in the right direction. His teams looked like they weren’t ready to play when they stepped on the field multiple times over the last two seasons. The offense this year often looked inept at times against often far inferior competition (talent wise). The better defenses essentially rushed three guys and dropped 8 into coverage and Riley couldn’t figure it out. He often gave up on the run game far too quickly when we had the larger and supposedly better OLine and a very good RB I’m Kennedy Brooks. It became painfully obvious how important the run game was in setting up the passing game for both QBs when opposing defenses showed such little respect for it. Riley was by no means a bad coach but he has been far from the elite offensive guru we thought we had over the last two years.

He may do great things at USC but it’s tough to envision him just instantly killing it out there when he’s taking over such a dumpster fire of a roster. He took over an 11-2 team with the entire coaching staff built and intact here and they got progressively worse with each of the following seasons. He’s taking over a 4-7 team that hasn’t been relevant since most of the kids he’ll be recruiting were in diapers, building a coach staff from scratch snd installing a completely new offense and defense. It will be a challenge.
    Absolute!

USC has had several enter the transfer portal since TBOW showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    USC has had several enter the transfer portal since TBOW showed up.
    I've heard OU was going to have plenty enter the portal if he had stayed at OU. I will be very interested to watch his career develop as he has to build a program for the first time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBDCFBB5-6F9D-4AE4-9068-872830C5CD98.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	17279

I can’t believe what this has come to! If Boomer becomes the USC Trojan Horse, I will be livid.

I can’t believe what this has come to! If Boomer becomes the USC Trojan Horse, I will be livid.
    But if OU can go get Angry Wave from the transfer portal they will be in excellent shape. That's a 5 star mascot that needs the bigger stage.

To the glue factory with you.

20. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    To the glue factory with you.
    Just have him taste some of Riley's brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by gogators View Post
    but if ou can go get angry wave from the transfer portal they will be in excellent shape. That's a 5 star mascot that needs the bigger stage.
    lol

22. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Boomer was * * at best. He could clap his hooves, walk on a wall and run through smoke. Big deal. We can do better. ☺

23. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Bring back top daug

24. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

That post was supposed to be all caps but this website is censoring me

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Bring back top daug
    +1000

Thread Information